Any of you guys race r/c's?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Any of you guys race r/c's?

Post by Walt »

Any of you guys have hobby-level r/c's? By Hobby level, I mean not from Wal-Mart or K-Mart or Radioshack :-)

Just curious, I bought myself a Traxxas Stampede 2wd monster truck a month ago and I love it.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

thats not a wal-mart or radio shack special...Traxxas are quality RTR's.. I have a traxxas e-maxx with twin brushless motors, aluminum parts and knockoff beadlock wheels.. I added a locker in the rear and i can get the truck sideways. I've also been meaning to see if they make a selectable 2wd/4wd kit because I've been snapping axles....soon to have mip cvd's though :wink:

they are fun but can get expensive...
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

No kidding

Post by ludwis »

I just got a stampead about two weeks ago. Its awsome!

Check out these two sites, they have great info

http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/

http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

That's a fun hobby. I used to be into it. I had an AWD 1/12 scale that kicked serious butt. I put all ball bearings in it, high performance motor. When I sold it, I got about as much as I bought it for. I'd like to get back into it, but I only have time for so many hobbies! :?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

quickbiker wrote:I only have time for so many hobbies! :?
yeah I stick to two hobbies .. art of magic and being a mechanic.. or custom automotive maintance technician. 8)
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

I use to be in it and still have alot of them around but they need lots of work.

I have two 1/12 Bolink Street cars and a classic Koyosho Turbo Optima Mid SE 4wd 1/10 buggy. It's got all the goodies like Novak speed control and at one point I had a 10cell monster battery pack and use to have fun racing my friends in their cars! I have not raced them in sometime and they probably need a few $100 in parts to get them live again which would be hard now since all of them are not made anymore. :(

So now I'm happy with my cheap ZipZaps and ZipZap knock offs. I just got an shack XMod 1/25(I think) RC car which is nice cause it's big enough to have fun but small enough to play indoors with. My son loves chasing it. I also have a 1/10 Shack Isuzu Axiom "Spy Kids" RC car which has a 360 style motor and a 9.6v battery pack which is loads of fun for a 10buck RC car(discounted after xmas).

But if you guys are interested in getting back into RCs, get this:

Now that's cool and with everything you need(4 channel controller and bat.) it's like 300bucks total! My Bro is getting one and I'm thinking about getting one for myself. They are so small you can use them indoors(actually recommended cause they are so light heavy wind would affect it too much). Plus you can mod them to do flips and fly upside down!!!

Cheers,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

I have a stampede also, I have had mine for about 2 yrs and already put a new engine and exhaust on but keep messing up the tranny - just dont run it 25mph and whip a 360 cause I have destoyed 2 trannys that way -
[size=75]GO BIG or Go Home
SFA - Dana 44 - front & rear - 4.88 gears - 39.5x15x20's[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Conman wrote:But if you guys are interested in getting back into RCs, get this:

Now that's cool and with everything you need(4 channel controller and bat.) it's like 300bucks total! My Bro is getting one and I'm thinking about getting one for myself. They are so small you can use them indoors(actually recommended cause they are so light heavy wind would affect it too much). Plus you can mod them to do flips and fly upside down!!!
Looks cool. Where can I get one?
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

GaryH wrote:Looks cool. Where can I get one?
I can't find the link now so I'll ask my bro again. I think the cheapest he found the helicopter was 80bucks. The rest of the 300 was a 4 channel controller and batteries, etc. You can take that 80buck helicopter and add carbon fiber blades, engine, etc and get it to do flips. I have to find the website as they have a movie that has the helicopter landing on the ceiling!! crazy!

Cheers,
Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Hey, if it will chase my wife's stupid cat around, that's all I need! :lol:
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

oh yeah they go crazy over them...mine can do 30mph..some have been up to 100mph. doubt any cat or dog can run that fast :lol:
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

GaryH wrote:
Conman wrote:But if you guys are interested in getting back into RCs, get this:

Looks cool. Where can I get one?
http://www.dreamhobbies.com

It's only $69 for the helicopter and with the cheapest kit it's only about 225bucks total. My bro says the kit for 319 with the hi-tech controller is the one to get cause it's a nicer controller.
My bro's Wife just had a baby last night so I'm going to suprise my bro and get him this kit as a gift for the baby. ;) I'll let you know how it works when he gets it.

Cheers,
Con
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Looks like a lot of fun for the price. I'm just gonna have to figure out how to fit it into my budget. Right now my Blazer is taking up all my spare change though (and all of my garage).
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

:bump:

I am now trying to get into the world of r/c so I thought that I would fire up this old topic and see if anyone is still interested in the hobby. Here is what I am starting with:

It's a Duratrax Mini Quake 1:18. It has a 380 motor, ball bearings, 8-oil filled shocks and comes with a decent Futaba controler. UPS should be bringing it to me tomorrow. I can't wait! I'm already thinking about committing a section of my back yard to a really nice dirt track! :D We'll see what the wife thinks about me digging up the yard though. :lol:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I'm still running my Traxxas Nitro Rustler... Although, I can't right now b/c when you take it off 6 foot jumps at 40mph and you flip it over like 15 times, shock towers tend to break!! lol :lol: So, it's just been sitting in my basement for a few months. Haven't fixed it yet, but i'll definately upgrade from plastic to some sort of light weight stronger metal.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I have been in and out of that hobby a few times . Here is what I have owned in the past .

TC3 touring car
Mini cooper M03
Kyosho Kanai 2 1/8th scale 4wd Nitro Buggy
1/10 scale 2wd stadium truck
1/18th scale HPI rs4 mini 4wd

Currently I just have the Mini Cooper , cause they are a pain to find on the used market , and they are just cool to run around once in awhile .

Pics

Mini Cooper
http://www3.telus.net/public/a6a60430/M ... er_001.jpg

Kyosho 1/8th scale buggy
http://www3.telus.net/public/a6a60430/Picture_005.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/a6a60430/Picture_008.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/a6a60430/buggy_full.jpg
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

BobbleSmitty wrote:I'm still running my Traxxas Nitro Rustler...

I really wanted to get into the nitro trucks but was advised that, if I don't have patience, it isn't for me. I got to thinking of how many times I've had to take my weed trimmer and chainsaw in to service and thought that the last thing I need is another gas engine around. :lol:

I know that the hobby can get pretty expensive and a lot of these r/c's are pretty pricey to start with. I decided to start small and make sure that I even want to continue with it.
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Cool!!! Do you do your own paint? I think that I would like that part of the hobby as well. I've found some pretty informative sites for the do it yourselfer.
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

there are dozens and dozens of r/c related sites . Probably hundreds .

No I did not do my own paint , but I have a Brand New Mini Cooper body that I am going to paint to exact scale of a real Mini cooper .
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Blaze One wrote: ...I have a Brand New Mini Cooper body that I am going to paint to exact scale of a real Mini cooper .

8) Be sure to post pics!!!! What scale is the Mini Cooper anyway? And do you plan to use a rattle can or airbrush to paint with?
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I've been out of my RC phase for about six months now.... It's a bigger money pit than the crew. I just sold my brushless E-Maxx, and my brushless 4-Tec, but I still have my good'ole Stampede for occaisional use. :)
--Walt
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Walt wrote:I've been out of my RC phase for about six months now.... It's a bigger money pit than the crew. I just sold my brushless E-Maxx, and my brushless 4-Tec, but I still have my good'ole Stampede for occaisional use. :)
Wow! Bigger money pit than the crew??? :roll: My wife's gonna shoot me!!! :lol:
KedExx
Regular
Regular

Post by KedExx »

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Top truck is a EBMOD NovaRossi.28 Bigblock, bottom is a EBMOD .18 OS smallblock

You dont want to know what kind of $$ I have into these 2 RC Trucks :shock:
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

KedExx wrote:Top truck is a EBMOD NovaRossi.28 Bigblock, bottom is a EBMOD .18 OS smallblock

You dont want to know what kind of $$ I have into these 2 RC Trucks :shock:

:shock: OMG!!! Those look SAAWWEEEEEEEEET!!!!! :drool:

And you're right! I DON'T wanna know how much moolah you have in those babies! It might discourage me! :lol:

Oh, and welcome to the forum too! :thumb:
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I started in R/C cars when I was six. I bought the first off road R/C buggy from Tamiya (The sand scorcher). It was the best at the time. All weatherproof. It was fun in the snow. Before that I had an on road bolink. Man that was fast. Then I bought the Bruiser. Steel ladder frame, working trans, real differenials, 4wd, It was totally awesome. Then I went nitro. I bought the Kyosho vanning 1/8 .21 engine 4wd buggy. That was a blast too. I sold them all to mod the crew. No regrets either. I made so much money on them plus I had my fun with them in the past. I'll get a new one someday. Buying the parts for the old ones got expensive and difficult to find. Fun hobby though. I would recommend it to anyone. Best fun in the backyard.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Oh yes , it is expensive . For a complete Nitro setup , expect to be close to $1000 once the dust has settled .

And $1000 is really easy to spend . some kits for onroad 1/8th go for $1000+ with no engine or tires , radio etc...

It is more of an adult hobby . unless you want to pay for your kids gear too .
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

I just bought a HPI savage with the factory BB in it. lol I will have some pics and vids of me horsing around with it soon.
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I finally got my truck in the mail and played with it for a little while. It's pretty cool! I would recommend it to anyone wanting to start out in the hobby. It is pretty fast right out of the box but has a ton of hop ups that can be done. At just a 1:18 scale, it's not the largest truck out there, but it's highly capable of beating some of the larger scale electric trucks!

I am already gathering a list of mods that I want to do to my truck. But, unlike my S-10 or Silverado, when I go get chrome wheels for my truck, it will cost me a whopping $8 bucks!!! :lol:
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

GeorgesBlazah wrote:I just bought a HPI savage with the factory BB in it. lol I will have some pics and vids of me horsing around with it soon.
Cool! I'd like to see those pics & vids! I need to get my own collection started as well.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Pauleo wrote:I am already gathering a list of mods that I want to do to my truck. But, unlike my S-10 or Silverado, when I go get chrome wheels for my truck, it will cost me a whopping $8 bucks!!! :lol:
Then you'll need new tires, which are $40 from Tower Hobbies. Since those will be slighly larger, you'll need a few extra spur gears since you'll go through those faster. Those are $3-6 apiece. Not to mention a CVD upgrade (if your truck doesn't have them already). That's another $60-100. New idler gears would be a nice thing to have to bulletproof the drivetrain. That's another $30. With your newly bulletproofed drivetrain, you'll need a bigger motor. The HV-Maxx is only $150-200.... Good luck on your second mortgage. I hear things are going up. :lol:

Disclaimer: The above prices aren't intended to be accurate. They're also selected from my experiece with an E-Maxx, so they may not apply in your case.
--Walt
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Rusty wrote:Looks like a lot of fun for the price. I'm just gonna have to figure out how to fit it into my budget. Right now my Blazer is taking up all my spare change though (and all of my garage).
Two years later:
4 planes (was 5 :( )
3 Helicopters

Oh, and the Blazer is out of the garage. :lol:
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

Got mine ready to roll. I will have some pics and maybe a vid once I get out of class. I will update later :D
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Walt wrote:
Pauleo wrote:I am already gathering a list of mods that I want to do to my truck. But, unlike my S-10 or Silverado, when I go get chrome wheels for my truck, it will cost me a whopping $8 bucks!!! :lol:
Then you'll need new tires, which are $40 from Tower Hobbies. Since those will be slighly larger, you'll need a few extra spur gears since you'll go through those faster. Those are $3-6 apiece. Not to mention a CVD upgrade (if your truck doesn't have them already). That's another $60-100. New idler gears would be a nice thing to have to bulletproof the drivetrain. That's another $30. With your newly bulletproofed drivetrain, you'll need a bigger motor. The HV-Maxx is only $150-200.... Good luck on your second mortgage. I hear things are going up. :lol:

Disclaimer: The above prices aren't intended to be accurate. They're also selected from my experiece with an E-Maxx, so they may not apply in your case.
Still less than $300!! I don't think I can get chrome wheels for my Silverado for that price. But still, point taken! :lol:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Just for fun! :D

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/rc+ ... 352829.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/rc+ ... cbf427.htm

There are a lot more videos of rc cars @ streetfire.net if you are interested. :D Use the search function and type in "rc cars". They are going through some upgrades to their site right now, so the search function might be the only way to view videos until they are done upgrading. :wink:

Steve
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

bling bling....let the mods begin!

I have a bigger airfilter on the way and I am researching pipes. When I get some time, I am going to tear the motor apart and do a port and polish :D . I am also going to make a "ram air" intake for it. I was running it without the body and it seemed to run faster....soo stay tuned for that :)

100k limit-HJ
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Please, no more hobbies :lol: I was settled on a sporty and now the wife wants me to get a beater to fix up after our ride this past weekend. I want a jeep but an older ZR2 is really pulling my heart strings :bonk:

That 'Stang was aweaome but am afraid the sport will not reach SE KY.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I vote for the Jeep Reed. Gotta love that removable top. :)
--Walt
KedExx
Regular
Regular

Post by KedExx »

GeorgesBlazah wrote:bling bling....let the mods begin!

I have a bigger airfilter on the way and I am researching pipes. When I get some time, I am going to tear the motor apart and do a port and polish :D . I am also going to make a "ram air" intake for it. I was running it without the body and it seemed to run faster....soo stay tuned for that :)

100k limit-HJ
Ram air intakes don't work that well with these engines. The reason it ran better without the body on is that that engine was running cooler. First thing to do is cut a hole in the windshield in-line with the cooling head. Also, buy a temp gun. These engines MUST run between 200-260 degrees but all engines have a "sweet spot" you just need to find where yours is If not you will wear out the P/S pre-maturely

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:42 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yes , it is expensive . For a complete Nitro setup , expect to be close to $1000 once the dust has settled .

And $1000 is really easy to spend . some kits for onroad 1/8th go for $1000+ with no engine or tires , radio etc...

It is more of an adult hobby . unless you want to pay for your kids gear too .

I have OVER $1000.00 just in electronics alone

$800.00 + in the Rex .28 BB and tranny mods

$800.00 + in the differentials

If you want the best Air Filter out there, pick up a RB Filter kit. You can buy it from Crispycritters Hobby Shop. CCHS is the best in town

I have a header/pipe combo for a Rex .28 that might work good for your set up. Its brand new. I see your in South Jersey, we could meet up somewhere and burn some nitro and you can try out the pipe
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

Cool, where abouts in South Jersey?