recovery/towing techniques?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

recovery/towing techniques?

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I have a question -- where can I find some info on PROPER towing/recovery techniques.

Mainly I'm talking about pulling a vehicle out of a ditch or out of the mud.

Today I was running by the UPS place and a guy in a fullsize Medical Equipment delivery van didn't cut the turn sharp enough and managed to drop the driver's tire into the ditch, which was a good 2 foot dropoff. Front passenger tire was on the edge of the drive/ditch, and one rear tire was on pavement, other was 2 feet in the air. The van didnt have very good articulation I guess.

First off, the guys been in the ditch 2 minutes and has already called his boss. Wuss. He looked like a redneck, but ain't no redneck gonna give up on a stuck vehicle that easily. Esp when it involves calling the boss with a fleet vehicle in a ditch.

I pull up in my truck and tell him I have a strap in the back, and I'd be happy to pull him out.

He takes a step back and actually looks my truck over and says "umm.. I dunno Boss has a 1 ton Dodge dually and he said stick tight, if he can't find anyone else to come help, he'd come over."

That almost ticked me off, but again with the all season tires on, my truck doesn't exude "macho pulling power". but I brushed the comment off and got out and went to pulling the strap out anyway.

Hooked it up, Only place I felt safe pulling from in the van was around the axle - nothing else looked structural enough. Is that a no-no? I was mildly worred about bending an axle tube, but I figure it's his van , not mine.

Anyway with my truck in 4 hi, it pulled the van out wit just a nudge of throttle off idle.

Hopefully he'll respect the S10 a lil more in the future....but I doubt it.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Good question. I would like to know this as well.

With the way all the yahoos around here drive in the winter, :!: I have plenty of oppertunities to be a good samaraton and pull people out of ditches or snow banks.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

probably that was the only place you could have hooked if you can't get around the real frame rails.

So them up!

Cheers,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

van appeared to be unibody -- go figure.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Nothin wrong with the axle. It takes the brunt of all the forces anyhow. If that's all ya got. People don't understand that pulling out stuff. Heck, a Geo tracker could pull it out in low range.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

It's a lot harder when you've just driven your FWD car off in 6 inches of mud and have it bured over the bottom of the airdam.

There's NOTHING on the back of a Cavalier to tie a rope to.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

adrenalnjunky wrote:There's NOTHING on the back of a Cavalier to tie a rope to.
There's always the bumper. Just remember to have a video camera there for our enjoyment later on. :mrgreen:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Yeah, or tie to the trunk lock plate or maybe the trunk hinges, then send the video to AFV and maybe win $10,000 :lol:

Those guys should have sent in theirs, but probably thought they might look a little silly.....
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Mike H. wrote:Yeah, or tie to the trunk lock plate or maybe the trunk hinges, then send the video to AFV and maybe win $10,000 :lol:

Those guys should have sent in theirs, but probably thought they might look a little silly.....

*cough* ummm..I did that once -- the striker plate in the trunk *cough*

Won't do it again, took me hours of "massaging" with a 3 pound hammer to get it all lined back up again
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

There's one thing to tie too on the back of a Cavalier.

I kid you not... AAA pulled my Z24 out of a snowbank this way...

I lowered both driver and passenger window, ran the belt through the windows, and attached the clip to a slip knot about 10 feet away from the rear window. He moved VERY slow, never let the strap loose tension, and pulled me out. I am no longer a AAA member 8)