Now what?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Now what?

Post by green02crew »

I have done quite a few mods to make this truck fit my needs. I would like to get a body lift and put 31's on but that is just not possible. The years of salt and rust around here would make the body lift a nightmare, not to mention the cost of new tires. I have just recently noticed the mass amounts of rust under the bed. One of the crossmembers supporting the bed is rusted completely through (the one with the charcoal canister). I had sprayed underneath with rustoleum this summer too and it was not that bad.

I did splurge and purchase bilsteins because of the new buy 3 get 4th free deal. I'll have spent as much on both sets of purchased shocks as if I had bought the bilsteins outright first. Oh well live and learn.

What else is left for me to do on the truck? (within reason of course)

I have had lots of fun the past few years tinkering and working on it as a daily driver. I was thinking of perhaps a winch for recovery but I don't do any hardcore offroading as it is and have not even gotten stuck yet so I don't think a winch is necessary, also it would be rather pricey not to mention a front mounting point and wiring.

Any other thoughts?? Maybe just switch to maintenance? The truck has only about 65k miles. I guess I just need a new hobby or something! Maybe its time to get back into building computers... they are just as expensive as automotive and it would be junk by tomorrow.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

You have quite a few mods already, but I can think of a few more performance/mileage mods if you want to go all the way. :lol:

MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Autolite XP plugs, Accel 48k volt coil, Accel cap & rotor, Street & Performance 1" intake manifold spacer, Transgo shift kit, CRMB high flow Y-pipe, Comp Cams Magnum 1.6 roller rocker arms & new valve springs, Comp Cams Camshaft, JBA headers, synthetic fluids for the engine, transmission, differentials, etc.

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You look "hooked up"! Not much else to do since you stated the off roading isn't your primary thing. If, you are bored then help a fellow CC owner out and look for a '78 or '79 Ford with a 9" and HP Dana 44 under it for pennies. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Enjoy it if you have it where you want it. Find something else to tinker with.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

killian, some of those may come with the next tune up, some are above my price range and skill level. The recovery package is similar to what I would be getting but I was looking for a cheaper route since that is above my price range big time. I'm trying to save up for a downpayment on house.

f9k9, those parts would be few and far between around here! Older vehicles are typically not stripped because they are rusted through. They end up being crushed and sold as scrap.

As HenryJ suggested, maybe I need something else to tinker with, a new hobby?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Following the line of recovery. How about studying for a Ham license and then pick up a HT to play with?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

That will sure keep him spending money and modding that's for sure (nods knowingly).
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have used some ham technology before. I recently went to a smaller PD near where I grew up and they use a system called packet cluster which is essentially internet over the radio. Pretty neat system but switching soon from that to IMC mobile, which uses cell phone towers.

The department has issued me a Motorola digital/analog radio but the scanning feature is limited. It only scans programmed channels and I can only broadcast on programmed channels as well.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out the APRS stuff here. That is a free tracking system. Amateur radio is all free. Now the hardware can add up, but used equipment is everywhere.
That hobby would sure help the crew cab to stay in its sweet spot.

- ThunderII KE7CSK