Off roading stories/ pics/ snow

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Off roading stories/ pics/ snow

Post by bradjh »

Any one have stories or pics in the snow or offroading. This will be the second winter for my truck. Ran around all last winter in 2 hi with 2 sandbags in rear, bfg atllterrain t/a was pretty impressed. we had a big snowfall 18inchs in one storm and a few 4-6 inchers and a few 1-2 nothing to bad. Overall pretty impressed. am anxious to see how the crew handles my new house's driveway. steep hill 110 ft long. hope i can get it up the hill and back down..
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

I've been pretty impressed with the snow capabilities of the truck. I have just a t-bar crank and Boise springs on the back with BFG's all the way around. It handles the snow pretty well but it has its limits:

That was about 2-3 foot deep drift that was about 40 feet long where I stopped. I hit it about 30 mph and rolled on the throttle. Still didn't make it through. Its actually sitting on the snow packed underneath in the pic. It took a lot of digging to get it out.

This one was a "lost the road in the whiteout and found the very full ditch"

These are the tracks I left after a 11" very wet and heavy snow. I went about 2 miles carving my own tracks up and down hills on the way to my parents house. It made it in and back out ok.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

I've always liked the S-10 in the snow. Used to have an '88 2WD that would cruise up and down the snow covered roads of Indiana like they weren't even dusted. Just a bag or two of salt or sand and I was good to go.

Unfortunately, I've not seen snow to speak of here in NM since I got the CC. I will go looking for it soon though :)

WH
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

My crew really pulled through for me in this more than to foot storm.

anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

I hope I am never without a four wheel drive truck.
While I do not consider my truck an off-road vehicle, I do count on it for year round transportation in a lot of tough areas. Snow being the most trying times.

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Snow, snow, ummmm, I think we used to get some here. I was even snowed in a couple of times. Not much in the last 10 yrs or longer.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I hope we see some of that this year. I have a set of chains that have done nothing more than a test fit.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I hope it stays up your way Brule since you're wishing for it. I sure don't need it but it isn't as bad as mud and ice storms we seem to get lots of in this area. I'd hate to think I'd have to run chains. Kinda hard to make em stand up driving 100+ miles per day and awful time consuming to take off and put on multiple times. With my tire to front fender clearances might be pretty hard on fenders too.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.