Personal armor building

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I guess my armor building knowledge comes in handy here as well.Image
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I want a set! Body armor from the movie Mad Max.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Pretty close, mine was built for SCA heavy list fighting. Body made from black plastic barrel and nylon straps with leather and steel arms with hockey pads for shoulders and baseball legs with thigh extensions of leather that attach to a belt. No longer have the helmet it is now is S.A. but was basically a football helmet built of 16 gauge steel spun top 18 gauge sides and 1/4 inch welded bar grill.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Any pictures?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

None I can easily come up with of me in mine . I could shoot a couple of shots of just the armor but as with all clothing not worn in a while it seems to have shrunk since the last time I was in it, at least thats the story I am going with.Image
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have done some little stuff. Mostly costume props.
I have a nice head piece.
Image Image

Last two pictures in this album
It is made from a cow hip bone that I found hiking to the big cave on Dry Creek many years ago.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

All I see is broken links. :cry:

Right click and "view image" to cache it, or use the album link I added -HJ
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Me in Viking garb sans armor Pardon the shades.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Pulled out what I could find it hasn't been used in at least 10 years and needs lots of work if it was ever to be used again.Image
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nice! :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Thanks, when I was using it it was all shiny and other fighters lived how flexible it was. I could sit down, bend over at the waist and touch the ground put my arms behind my back and could put the entire set on by myself many couldn't. We used solid bamboo (Rattan) as our weapons and this stuff could really take some heavy blows with ease, many times metal armor would dent but the plastic wouldn't have a scratch. It had enough coverage and was built well enough so I never got what we call armor bites( where your own armor pinches you and leaves a mark) and very few bruises.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would like to do some heavy leather. Maybe kevlar and plate inserts for some real protection.

There is some good looking movie quality classic stuff here: TheHorrorDome.com costumes

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

We tried Kydex but it's to fragile over time and repeated abuse especially when it's frozen. If you want to see some fancy leather armor search on SCA leather armor there is a lot of sweet stuff out there. To harden leather we occasionally use Futura acrylic floor wax, it penetrates the grain of the leather and basically plasticizes it. That;s what the thigh armor I have is done with that. I have quite a bit of 11-13oz leather which is good armor grade stuff, generally sold as saddle skirting leather. We use 2nds not the high grade carving leather since it gets beaten up pretty bad.