Chicago Auto Show

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Chicago Auto Show

Post by daevans315 »

I think I'm headed to the Chicago Auto Show for the day on Thursday. Any other 'locals' headed up that way?

http://www.chicagoautoshow.com

I won't be taking the crew as it is illegal to drive vehicles with truck plates on them on several of the streets around the convention center. Notice I didn't say illegal to drive trucks. SUV's with car plates are legal, Trucks with passenger car plates (ham radio plates or any or IL's special plates) are legal but not truck with truck plates. Its a Chicago thing.....
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Chicago Auto Show

Post by WVHogRider »

daevans315 wrote:I won't be taking the crew as it is illegal to drive vehicles with truck plates on them on several of the streets around the convention center. Notice I didn't say illegal to drive trucks. SUV's with car plates are legal, Trucks with passenger car plates (ham radio plates or any or IL's special plates) are legal but not truck with truck plates. Its a Chicago thing.....
That's odd.. :? ..I never new about that law when I lived there. I drove my truck that had truck plates all the time around Chicago and downtown with no issues.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Chicago Auto Show

Post by daevans315 »

WVHogRider wrote:
That's odd.. :? ..I never new about that law when I lived there. I drove my truck that had truck plates all the time around Chicago and downtown with no issues.
There is an article about it in the local papers about once a year. $50 ticket. There is a snip from the first google writeup I found.
The restriction on trucks driving on Lake Shore Drive and some other Chicago streets and boulevards is a Chicago city ordinance. Apparently, the intent of the restriction is to keep delivery and other trucks off of streets and roads meant for passenger vehicles. As you mention, it has become popular in recent years for people to use pickups for personal transportation, although their original purpose was for hauling materials and commodities. As I understand the ordinance, it applies to vehicles required to display truck plates. I agree with you that many SUVs, Hummers, etc are larger than some pickups, however these vehicles are intended for passenger transportation. This ordinance is primarily enforced by Chicago City Police.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I just went to the show on Friday. I liked the Pontiac G8 that is supposed to come out in a year. 362HP Sedan. The new camaro convertible is a hot car too. I sat in a lot of the midsize trucks and wasn't all that impressed. The only one that I liked was the 2008 Dodge Dakota with a revised V8 putting out 290HP and a revised interior. But what was weird was that it's coming out this year but you couldn't sit in it or touch it. They had it on display only. I actually walked out of the show sat in my CC and liked it better than what I saw. I did go through the jeep display too. We road in a four door wrangler. The little coarse they had set-up was pretty impressive and worth the wait to try it out. Of coarse I couldn't drive but too see the sway bar disconnect work and how it handled the terrain was pretty cool. Overall good show, I go every year to see what's new.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

ace wrote: I did go through the jeep display too. We road in a four door wrangler. The little coarse they had set-up was pretty impressive and worth the wait to try it out. Of coarse I couldn't drive but too see the sway bar disconnect work and how it handled the terrain was pretty cool. Overall good show, I go every year to see what's new.
How long was your wait for the jeep course? I went up 2 years ago on a Saturday and at noon they were not letting anyone else in line because the wait was longer than the show was going to be open that day.
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I could see that on the weekend. I make sure to take a half day at work every year and go about 1 pm during the week. My weight was less than 15 minutes.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Auto show was fun. Nothing way out of the ordinary but I did find my next crew cab...