Watch ( timepiece)

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Watch ( timepiece)

Post by HenryJ »

What do you wear?

I am not one of those guys that can get away with wearing a nice watch for very long. I tend to lose my head and do things that are harmful to their lifespan. When working shifts I have a Timex "Expedition Camper" Indiglo. Easy to read, has a seconds hand and I could throw it away if contaminated without feeling bad.

At the fulltime job, The shock of working with hammers , solvents , welding splatter and the accompanying electrical fields do not work well for some watches.
I have had the "Plain Jane" Casio G-shock for years. It has been through a dozen cheap bands over the years. I still have it in a drawer since my wife picked up a G-Shock with thermometer. I wear that one at work now. It really is just as durable.
Around the same time I picked up one of the Casio Triple sensor watches. Altimeter, Barometer, Thermometer. It also has a digital compass. This was a great watch until the batteries died. I was unable to get it working again. During that time I bought a Casio Pathfinder. This was the new version and has a larger easier to read face, as well as a nice big button for the back light. Easy to hit with a gloved hand.

After a few years the battery went bad on the Pathfinder. I installed new batteries to find it not working. It turns out there is a reset procedure requiring the battery to be shorted to a contact. BINGO! It works, and the older triple sensor was able to be reset as well.

The Casio Pathfinderhas been a great watch. I used it extensively while dragracing to keep an eye on the adjusted altitude. While hiking it graphs temperature and altitude changes. Some times I don't realize just how over exerted I am getting, checking the temperature from time to time has been a good way to judge, and a reminder to hydrate.
I have actually had to use the compass a couple times. Caught out without another means and turned around, it really did come in handy to get reoriented.

If you are not into "bling" and don't mind a big watch, I would recommend this one. There are plenty of new versions of the Pathfinder out there now. I am afraid to even look as I might NEED a new one.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have heard a bunch of good things about the Casio G-Shocks and the Pathfinders. They are rugged and reliable. I preferred the plain jane Luminox watch (1st photo). It is the 3000 Series - Original Navy SEAL Dive Watch (Series I)

On my first Christmas with Mrs. Hoff insisted to buy me a dressier one and she had me pick out a watch. I choose the 8000 Series - Ultimate Navy SEAL Dive Series. I don't like worrying about taking a watch off and I never take this one off unless it is for some tight wrenching or when I go jogging ( I wear the Casio G-Shock for jogging.).

It's all a matter of taste and preferences for each individual. Wrist mounted GPS units have been around for a few years and I suspect Casio will take the affordable GPS market in a couple of years.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I have the Pathfinder also. Great watch. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Watches

Post by mjmcdowell »

Oh boy!..... watches, along with nice folding knives Spyderco, Benchmade and a smattering of customs, I like watches. I have some high end and some not so expensive but great watches in my collection but if I look at my wrist for the time one brand/model is apt to be there most of the time, "Casio G-shock" for watches that can be had for under $100 you can beat ,bang and try to drown or just about anything else you can get into, they will still function. My favorite is the model that sets itself from one of the US observatory atomic clocks, it has all the bells and whistles you could want without any other uncessary complecations. Now..... about flashlights.... stay safe, mjmcdowell
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Rolex Daytona

I wear one of those when I wear a watch.....usually only when I am dressing up though. Sunday morning at church, business dinners, dates with the chicky, things of that nature. I have too many other things that have clocks on them (phone/truck/PDA/clocks in the office/etc) to really need a watch.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

i usually wear one of these solar powered ones like this
claims to never need a battery ever.
but it seems to be shotty in overcast conditions
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]