Non Powered Tool to add Fluids

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Non Powered Tool to add Fluids

Post by F9K9 »

I have been battling replacing fluids in my drive train (excluding tranny) since Friday evening. Turkey basters, funnels, nifty packaged fluid bottles and syphon bulb/tubes won't do it. What are you guys using? I'd especially like to hear from Brule, Sonoma Crew Cab and almost afraid to hear from Steve :lol:

The key is "non powered" :wink: I've walked away from my mess for the fourth time until I figure out what to buy to stop ruining the environment and teaching my wife's parrot unkind words :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You need a bottle pump (fluid transfer pump)

You used to be able to buy a square quart bottle of Transmission fluid that comes with a pump. I still have a couple that I keep refilling.

I know they still sell the pumps at most parts stores. You may even be able to find one at "Wallyworld" next to the funnels and fill spouts in the automotive section.

Those Ketchup pumps that attach to a gallon jug work too. Just add a section of clear tubing. I have a cleaned pump that came with a gallon of tire goop. It works good too.

Here is a Summit manual fluid transfer pump

Here is a common pump - Overton's SeaSense Fluid Pump, fits quart bottles

This one is very similar to most of the manual pumps that I have.

Another trick is to add a length of clear tubing to the spout on the bottle. Then squeeze the fluid into the fill. Don't let the tubing pop loose though.

Oh, and when you get tired of "borrowing" the Turkey baster -

Suction gun

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Another trick is to add a length of clear tubing to the spout on the bottle. Then squeeze the fluid into the fill. Don't let the tubing pop loose though.

Oh, and when you get tired of "borrowing" the Turkey baster -

ImageSuction gun

The turkey baster was a total failure for drive train fluids (bulb kept sliding off. Works great with brake fluid.

I like the looks of the sunction gun but wonder if the same gun can be cleaned to use gear oil after using ATF Dexron III or the other way around? What cleaning method should I use?

I do not recall seeing the screw in pumps for the standard containers anywhere but, that doesn't mean that they are not out there.

Thanks for your fast response, Brule :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I use the suction gun as a removal tool.

It probably could be cleaned and used as a filler, but would probably be prone to contamination and probably a bit messy.

I use a parts washer with mineral spirits for washing the gun. At home you could probably just wipe the parts down good after a disassembly.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

HenryJ wrote:I use the suction gun as a removal tool.

It probably could be cleaned and used as a filler, but would probably be prone to contamination and probably a bit messy.

I use a parts washer with mineral spirits for washing the gun. At home you could probably just wipe the parts down good after a disassembly.
Thats all I use. It's $10 at the parts store. When I need to fill I just pull it apart and clean it really good. There is only like 3 peices so it's easy to clean.

Yes, it is a little bit messy, but it does EVERYTHING, t-cases, diffs, etc. Biggest thing is to clean it after every use, other wise it's messy the next time you go to use it.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

HenryJ wrote: Here is a Summit manual fluid transfer pump
+1 on that pump. That pump works great for siphoning the transmission pan dry before dropping the pan to change the filter. Or, you can do like I do and just change the fluid in the pan every 20k miles.
HenryJ wrote: Image
These work great. Changed the front and rear axle oil and the transfer case oil today with that.
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
Single 6.5" Bazooka behind the backseat[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have got to find one of those in the AM!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I purchased a suction gun this am and it definitely "sucked", no pun intended. I purchased the Overton's pump for future fluid changes.

I don't know what I have spent on this DIY crap but, I question any savings that may have occurred. :bonk:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Non Powered Tool to add Fluids

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:almost afraid to hear from Steve :lol:
:( Well it looks like everyone beat me to this one :roll: , but I have to agree with the all the recommendations since I use the same stuff. :D

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

H_LL Steve, I figured you had a 120/220/18V gizmo that you let loose from your doorway, sucked out the old, opened the "senior citizen" proof quart containers and finished the job while you were enjoying watching your favorite NFL team kick someones "tush" on your new 50" HDTV while you were on your tush in the comfort of your couch :wink:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:H_LL Steve, I figured you had a 120/220/18V gizmo that you let loose from your doorway, sucked out the old, opened the "senior citizen" proof quart containers and finished the job while you were enjoying watching your favorite NFL team kick someones "tush" on your new 50" HDTV while you were on your tush in the comfort of your couch :wink:
:lol: No fluid gizmos, my NFL team (Raiders) have not kicked anyones "tush" this season (0-4) :shock: , and my TV is a standard 32". :cry:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Man, I feel the pain :cry: Makes my 8 yr old 25" look adequate :wink:
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

actually, i needed some type of manual pump myself. since such difficult to refill components dont get frequently serviced, i tend to just rely on fitting a long piece of tubing to the oil bottle, turn it upside down and squeeze until empty...

very time consuming though.
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

as for draining things such as the auto tranny and rear axle, first time can be a mess, but i usually install a drain plug kit on the trans pan, and as i recently posted, the rear axle housing can be easily modded to allow draining by just removing the bottom cover plate bolt.
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]