Snow in IL Success!!!!!!!!!!

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Snow in IL Success!!!!!!!!!!

Post by daevans315 »

Found drift deep enough to put about 4" of snow on the hood before grinding to a stop. I couldn't get out the drivers door. Snow to the door handle. The old crew won't go through that. In fact it takes 4 low to even spin the tires when you are stuck that bad. 4 high would just bog the engine.

About 10 mins of work with the grain scoop \ snow shovel and we were back in business.

No pictures that show much. Forgot camera and all I had was the lousy camera phone. Much fun was had though.

I had an occasional ABS light on the dash on the way home. Guessing that will go away in the warm garage once the snow melts out of the sensors.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I went out after clearing a few driveways and tried to find some really deep drifts to hit...I only found a couple of 2 foot drifts and an unplowed section of old route 66 that had a good 8 inches of snow on it for a few miles. Not enough to get me stuck though.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:and an unplowed section of old route 66 that had a good 8 inches of snow on it for a few miles. Not enough to get me stuck though.
I didn't even look at your location until you said Route 66. I should have given you a call. We were out on the back roads between Eureka and Goodfield. We were only about what 30-40 miles away?
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Goodfield/Eureka isnt that far is it? You must have got more snow up there...If I had more time I would have headed out on 251 toward El Paso...could have got stuck out there for sure, I'm still runnin the POS stock tires.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Goodfield/Eureka isnt that far is it? You must have got more snow up there....
We only got about 5 inches so we just headed out into the section roads between the corn fields. When you have a couple square miles of 5 inches of snow blowing into a 20 foot wide gravel road that is a few feet below the fields it drifts full pretty fast. We were doing ok in about 1 -2’ drifts of light fluffy snow when I found a dip in the road. Of course the level of the snow didn't change so I had no idea it was that deep until the wall of snow came up on the hood. If it had been a heavy wet snow probably would have broken a grill.

There are about 4 of us with random 4wd's that go out and play together. Always wait until late at night after all the traffic is gone and there is a good wind blowing. We dress warm, throw a few shovels and tow straps in the back and head out to see what kind of trouble we can get into. We always try and keep it pretty legal. We stay on actual marked roads most of the time but try and find the least used ones possible.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

If this winter is anything like last year, we'll get this one good snow and not see another f'n flake the rest of the winter...lets hope this year is going to be better.
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Goodfield/Eureka isnt that far is it? You must have got more snow up there...If I had more time I would have headed out on 251 toward El Paso...could have got stuck out there for sure, I'm still runnin the POS stock tires.
I'm hoping there is an El Paso, IL? I think it would be a little to far of a drive for you. We also don't get snow down here, boy do I miss Pennsylvania!!
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

SONOMA915 wrote:
Rusty Shackleford wrote:Goodfield/Eureka isnt that far is it? You must have got more snow up there...If I had more time I would have headed out on 251 toward El Paso...could have got stuck out there for sure, I'm still runnin the POS stock tires.
I'm hoping there is an El Paso, IL? I think it would be a little to far of a drive for you. We also don't get snow down here, boy do I miss Pennsylvania!!
Yeah, there is a small town in central Illinois called El Paso...It doesnt make sense to me either. Where in PA are you from??
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Mt Pleasant. Its about 2 hours southwest of Pittsburg. Haven't been there for ten years, but it was nice having a white Christmas. Here its cold, but hardly snows.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

I miss IL
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I miss Illinois too. I'm originally from Mt. Vernon, IL. Definitely don't get any snow down here in the Tampa area. As a matter of fact, there isn't much down here at all except for flat sandy and swampy land.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rusty Shackleford wrote:If this winter is anything like last year, we'll get this one good snow and not see another f'n flake the rest of the winter...lets hope this year is going to be better.
...anyone else in IL notice the pattern? Havent seen any accumulation since this thread was started.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

SONOMA915 wrote:Mt Pleasant. Its about 2 hours southwest of Pittsburg. Haven't been there for ten years, but it was nice having a white Christmas. Here its cold, but hardly snows.
I grew up 5 minutes east of Erie PA, just inside NY. All of my family still lives there and I get to hear about all the snow they get. Its a far cry from what I get here in IL.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:
Rusty Shackleford wrote:If this winter is anything like last year, we'll get this one good snow and not see another f'n flake the rest of the winter...lets hope this year is going to be better.
...anyone else in IL notice the pattern? Havent seen any accumulation since this thread was started.

Yep.. Looks like its going to be the same as last year. One big one early... Then NOTHING.

On a side note.... I just got done washing the Crew in my shirt sleaves.. in Jan.. in IL. I guess if there is no snow it might as well be 50+ and sunny.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Agreed
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

Yea I live up by the Wis. border and no snow what so ever the rain that we has last week wiped out the snow, Just what is piled up is that is all that is left. :cry: the kicker is I have a snowmobile and I could even go ridding because it was in the shop getting fixed and then my nephew took it up to Northern Wis and he only put 75 miles on it.
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

We need pictures of this excitment. Living in the Phoenix area with mid 70s highs and 80s last week its hard to imagine. Also the weather people said no rain possibility till summer. 8)
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

rick wrote:We need pictures of this excitment. Living in the Phoenix area with mid 70s highs and 80s last week its hard to imagine. Also the weather people said no rain possibility till summer. 8)
Its almost no fun having 4WD here in IL...cant imagine what its like in AZ. Unless you can find some sand or something??
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

hey we are getting freezing rain now. :bounce: Should be fun in the morning drive! where is the snow :x
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

snocat1 wrote:hey we are getting freezing rain now. :bounce: Should be fun in the morning drive! where is the snow :x
Its barely misting here and 36 degrees...no snow this time. I doubt this stuff will even freeze. BORING!!
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:
rick wrote:We need pictures of this excitment. Living in the Phoenix area with mid 70s highs and 80s last week its hard to imagine. Also the weather people said no rain possibility till summer. 8)
Its almost no fun having 4WD here in IL...cant imagine what its like in AZ. Unless you can find some sand or something??
There's plenty of 4-wheeling in AZ...just that 99% of it is dry. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

yeah well here in TN dont have snow or tons of dirt....oh well :cry: hehehe
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

rick wrote:We need pictures of this excitment. 8)

Here are some pic's from years past. Unfortunately these are from before I owned the crew and I was driving several random Subaru's at the time.

http://www.ubergobbie.com/thumbnails.php?album=6&page=1
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I cant believe it...its acutally snowing here in Normal! Twice in one year, must be some kind of record.
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

I hate you guys LOL. I live in Alabama and no good snow here since I was 16. IM 30 now I just need to say forget about it and move up north a little.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I do a good deal of complaining due to lack of snow because I was spoiled growing up in southwest New York state. We used to get over 300 inches a year, easy...now I am getting about 8 inches a year to play in.
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

hey Rusty did any rain or snow today? There saying this weekend maybe 5 to 6 inches Friday to Saturday. :pray: One of the owners of a body shop here in town was suppose to go up to Mercer WI. on sat. morning but there was no snow up there to go riding so he was not a happy camper. Then is son is to leave this fri. to go up but they are to get snow every other day this week.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

snocat1 wrote:hey Rusty did any rain or snow today? There saying this weekend maybe 5 to 6 inches Friday to Saturday. :pray: One of the owners of a body shop here in town was suppose to go up to Mercer WI. on sat. morning but there was no snow up there to go riding so he was not a happy camper. Then is son is to leave this fri. to go up but they are to get snow every other day this week.
No rain or snow here on Tuesday but it did start snowing after midnight, we have a slight dusting so far this morning but nothing major. Lets hope we do get something this weekend.
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

Would be nice so I can take my girls out for a ride in the back yard. Also so my oldest get can get some time driving the snowmobile.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I think the last time I saw real snow was five or six years ago..... kinda sad :P
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Listen.. hear that whooshing noise????? that would be another snow storm whizzing by 100 miles north of us. Its 35 and raining like crazy...

They are still saying 2-4 inches but its going to be late tonight and wet heavy snow so no drifts. :cry:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

hey dont feel to bad its 65 here in maryland .I want some snow also :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

daevans315 wrote:Listen.. hear that whooshing noise????? that would be another snow storm whizzing by 100 miles north of us. Its 35 and raining like crazy...

They are still saying 2-4 inches but its going to be late tonight and wet heavy snow so no drifts. :cry:
Just as I figured...big ol snowstorm misses here by about 50 miles to the north, hope they have fun with it.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

jeff024 wrote:hey dont feel to bad its 65 here in maryland .I want some snow also :)
It was 62 here yesterday...in Illinois...in Janufreekinary(January). This kind of winter makes me miss livin in NY.
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

Hey we got snow yeha!!!!!!!!! now can go snowmobiling tomorrow. :bounce: :P [/quote]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

50 and raining again today in VT. We have had major flooding around here from the wind driven rain and almost all of the snow is gone.Image
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

we got 9 heavy wet inches of snow last night
took me 20 minutes to brush my truck off, lol :lol:

i had trouble with a couple hills driving into town. i backed up twice on one hill and finally put it in 4wheel just to make it. then when i got back to my appartment complex it's all up hill to get into my parking lot...had to put it in 4wheel again. i came to a complete stop on the hill with my back tires just a singing and slinging snow when i was in 2wheel
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

bwenny247 wrote:we got 9 heavy wet inches of snow last night
took me 20 minutes to brush my truck off, lol :lol:

i had trouble with a couple hills driving into town. i backed up twice on one hill and finally put it in 4wheel just to make it. then when i got back to my appartment complex it's all up hill to get into my parking lot...had to put it in 4wheel again. i came to a complete stop on the hill with my back tires just a singing and slinging snow when i was in 2wheel
Get back out there and tear it up!!!!
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

we've had 60-70 degree weather all week down in central SC, no snow but lots of rain makes for lots of mud
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

We had about 4 to 5 in. of snow. Went out riding the seld it was a little rough riding but it was nice to have some snow to ride on though. Needed maybe 4 more inches would have been even better though. :lol: