mountain bikes

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

mountain bikes

Post by malkavian »

Any of you guys into riding mountain bikes?

I use to ride when I was out west and sold my bike when I moved back south. Im not up on the new bikes and am looking for a good full suspension bike that can handle my abuse. Down hill runs (not hudge down hills since we dont hve any crazy stuff here.) We do have areas with some short steep decents like maybe a 1/4 mile or so. I like jumping and drop offs of around 5 ft or so. When I use to ride we had hard tails and full suspension cross country and down hill specific. Now they have the free ride full susp. and free ride hard tails. I was leaning towards a full susp free ride like the GT Ruckus i-Drive 2.0 any input from you guys that ride would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

All I know is that I had a chance to get a wholesale price on a quality police model (Wish, I could recall the name) a couple years ago. I wish I had gone for the deal but, unfortunately I came from an era where runners made fun of bicycle fanatics. Now, my lower back and knees are shot and need to go to the low impact cardiovascular route. I think it would be a very good hobby :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

This is the mountain bike that I have. It's a Trek VRX 300 Image
I was running a hydraulic disc brake setup from Hayes and later switched to Avid mechanical disc
brakes front and rear. I added on a bunch of stuff to it... I upgraded the front fork with a beefed
up RockShox assembly, toe clips, bar ends, spedometer/odemeter, and better off road tires.
I've had this for a few years now and I love it! The ride is smooth and comfortable. I'm never
scared to take it off of jumps and drops, it has never let me down! I have nearly 2500 miles
on it now! I would suggest a Trek Mountain bike from my own experience. I also have
a Schwinn Frontier, it's more of just a mild trail bike! I just keep it on the road. I'm sure Schwinn
has a nice mountain bike line up also, though.

-Bob
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I have a couple of year old Cannondale F2000 hardtail - love that bike.

I really like the current Trek Fuel series - and the Specialized FSR series.

My next bike will be more of a full-suspension cross-country style of rig.

MAl - when you get back into it - I would seriously suggest you make a weekend trip to Birmingham to ride the Oak Mountain state park trails - really nice trails, very well laid out so that you can make as long or short a lap you want. Heck - I might even be convinced to head that way myself for a group ride. :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I have a Specialized FSR. Thought about selling it when I moved to FL but decided to keep it since I put so much money into it. It's an older model which I should upgrade to disc brakes but the cost is so steep. Anyway, here's a pic.

[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

I had forgot all about treck bikes. I had a cannondale f700 that by the time I was done with it I had the fatty 70 sl xtr groupo grip shifters and it was a great bike but It beat the mess out of me on some of the down hills we ran in NM. Anyone else keep them comming especially how if does for the type of riding you do.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]