Air Compressors

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Air Compressors

Post by barch97 »

I've been trying to find someone to blow out my lawn sprinkler lines and it seems for about the price of having this done two-three times I could instead buy a decent compressor and do it myself. plus the added advantage of having a compressor for all sorts of other general home garage needs.

The trouble here is that I have never owned a compressor and have no idea what I'm looking for or what I need. What's too big? What's too small?

This Craftsman seems about right to me. 15gal/3hp/150psi/$200

But, again I really don't know. I know a lot of you guys have A LOT more experience in this are than I. Any advice here would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance :D
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Man I Wish I Could Help Ya Barch, But I Know Nothing About These New Compressors....Mine Was Built In 1963. So As You Can See I'm Way Behind The Times. 8)

The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

wow.....
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

gocntry wrote:Man I Wish I Could Help Ya Barch, But I Know Nothing About These New Compressors....Mine Was Built In 1963. So As You Can See I'm Way Behind The Times. 8)
This is exactly my point. Most people that I know that have compressors have had them forever. How do I know which one ot buy that's going to last 30+ years? Or is that pretty common?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

barch97 wrote:
gocntry wrote:Man I Wish I Could Help Ya Barch, But I Know Nothing About These New Compressors....Mine Was Built In 1963. So As You Can See I'm Way Behind The Times. 8)
This is exactly my point. Most people that I know that have compressors have had them forever. How do I know which one ot buy that's going to last 30+ years? Or is that pretty common?
The 1 Point All The Guys I Know Tell Me Is Stay Away From The Oil less Compressors, Get One Where You Can Change The Oil In It. Mine Came Out Of A Local County School System My Dad Used To Work For. They Upgraded All Their Equipment And This Was To Get Thrown Out :shock:
So My Dad Nabbed It For Me, I Bet I've Had It For 15 Years Or So Now and I've Never Had A Problem With It Yet :D And I Could Bet It Didnt Have Any Easy Life In The School System. The One Drawback Is You Can't Just Pick This Up And Wheel It Around Like The Newer Ones, Last Time I Moved It Me & A Buddy Took It Apart So The Tank - Pump - And Motor Were All Seperate So We Didnt Break Our Backs Trying To Load/Unload It.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

A friend of mine just got a craftsman. It's an upright (vertical standing tank w/ motor on top). He paid around $300 for his. It's fairly large. I'll ask him what the model tonight.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

If you have a large shop vac with the reversible hose you could use that to blow out the lines. Thats what I use to blow out our pool lines.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

24digger wrote:If you have a large shop vac with the reversible hose you could use that to blow out the lines. Thats what I use to blow out our pool lines.
barch97 wrote:I've been trying to find someone to blow out my lawn sprinkler lines,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And I thought I was having a rough life :roflmao:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I have a little 5 gallon pancake compressor by Bostitch. It works well for running a finish nailer and would do an OK job of running a framing gun. I use it for small stuff though. And I really wanting something that was portable. As a garage compressor, forget it. It'll air up a tire or your kids football but it won't run an impact wrench or anything like that.

My suggestion would be to go to Sears or Home Depot or somewhere and look at the specs of the air tools you think you would want to run. The tools will have specs on them to let you know what size compressor you need for that specific tool. Gather all that info and try to find one that meets all of those specs but retains some portability.

The one that I have was a gift so that's why I didn't do it that way.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Thanks, Pauleo. very helpful advice. this part in particular:
Pauleo wrote:My suggestion would be to go to Sears or Home Depot or somewhere and look at the specs of the air tools you think you would want to run. The tools will have specs on them to let you know what size compressor you need for that specific tool.
I was not aware of that at all.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

hmm...

I've been doing a little more research on this and every place I see instructions on blowing out sprinkler lines, they start off by saying "this is NOT a do it yourself project." apparently this takes more air than a typical home compressor can generate and if done incorrectly will cause severe damage to the sprinkler system.

Maybe that $75 for a pro isn't such a bad idea.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Here you go Just find yourself one of these. Got this one from a former employers rental property. It was used to pressurize a 4 story buildings steam radiator valve system.

Sorry the images are so small larger ones in gallery
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/coppermine/d ... 0117&pos=0
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/coppermine/d ... 0117&pos=1
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

barch97 wrote:Thanks, Pauleo. very helpful advice. this part in particular:
Pauleo wrote:My suggestion would be to go to Sears or Home Depot or somewhere and look at the specs of the air tools you think you would want to run. The tools will have specs on them to let you know what size compressor you need for that specific tool.
I was not aware of that at all.
Yep! No problem. :thumb:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]