Buying new TV....need advise!

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Miles
Crew
Crew

Buying new TV....need advise!

Post by Miles »

I'm looking to buy a new wide-screen this week, and need some adivse. A 50"er would fit the bill nicely. The DLP screens look much more clear & crisp than the LCD's, and cost much less than the plasma screens. (I've heard some negative press on the plasma screens anyway). I am looking for the most clear, clean & crisp picture possible, and my price range is in the 2-3K arena. It must also be video game friendly!

Any suggestions?
[size=75][b][color=orange][i]~Jeremy[/i][/color][/b]

[i][b][color=blue]'00 ZR2 Blazer, 33" KM2's on PA3's, Lock Right in Iron front diff/Detroit Locker in rear, sway-bar disco's, 1-Ton P & I Arms[/color][/b][/i]

[b][color=yellow]BlaZeR pics [/color][/b][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/b240/Muslhed/Best%20Blazer%20pics/][b][color=red]HERE[/color][/b][/url][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

You're on the right track with DLP...that's some of the best that I know of. As for manufacturers, I've been happy with my Samsung. Sony's are usually pretty good I think. If I were you...head over to epinions.com and check out the reviews on there...it's usually pretty good info.

As for use with video games...make sure your game system is HD, otherwise it won't matter what kind of TV you get. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

mitsubishi makes some of the best TVs
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Buying new TV....need advise!

Post by barch97 »

Muslhed wrote:Any suggestions?
Size matters :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I'm a big fan of both the Mitsus and Panasonic equipment.

I also know several people tha tbought big 60+ inchers that now wish they would have stayed in more like the 45-48" range.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Make sure you get a tv that is relative to the size of the room you are viewing it in . a 50" tv in a small bedroom is not good . your eyes will hurt . you get the idea . Be sure to ask the store if it can handle video games . and if there not sure ask them to gte you a copy if the instruction manual so you can check it your self .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

It's been my experience that Sony is the king of TV's. I think you'll be satisfied with anything you choose from them. Panasonic's Tau line is also very nice.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

I bought a Sony 53" almost 5 years ago now and if it died tomorrow it would not owe me a dime. That tv is on sometimes 12 hrs a day on the week-ends between me and the kids. I'd definately buy Sony again. I have also had good luck with 2 smaller JVC's- one 20+ years old, still kicking.
[size=75]98 4dr Blazer 5"TM 2"bl 33"BFG AT Flowmaster w/ duals http://community.webshots.com/user/chumleyd8
-Stupidity should be painful-[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Something else to think about....If you're considering buying a large TV (50+ inches), why not a projector? THey're becoming increasingly popular, and some can be used with every light in the room on. Why settle for 50 inches when you can get 200? :lol:
--Walt
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

dont go projector you can hardly see them from the sides
go LCD or DLP
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I believe he means a true projection system, not a rear projection TV.

Most Projection systems have no issues with off-axis viewing.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

Ok well, since selling TV's is kinda my business, lol. Do not buy RCA. As of right now they are junk. We have had 8 27" and 3 32" tvs go out in the first week of being either sold or on the shelf. We now carry toshiba, which i actually like. LCD and Plasma both have a shorter life expectancy. LCD 7 to 10 yrs and plasma being shorter. DLP is the way to go but you will sacrafice space saving (but not by a whole lot) So far the DLP is expected to go AT LEAST 30% longer for life and LCD always seems to have a burnt out pixel in a matter of months. my .02$
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The good thing about a projector is that they're portable, lightweight, etc...

There's only one downside that I can think of.... most won't take to well your power going out while they're running. What I mean by this is that since the projector generates so much heat (the bulb), most that I've seen have a warm-up period of a minute or two, and have to have a cool down period of a minute or two as well before unplugging. This prevents damage to the lense and housing.
--Walt
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I have had a 60" RCA DLP with built in HD for a little over a year now and I love it. Has a great picture and is game friendly, I think it was one of the first DLP's out don't know for sure. Was kinda of leary of getting RCA at first but wanted it to run my satelite and surround sound stuff of same brand.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]