I got hit

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I got hit

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Yup, I got hit... by a regulation size NFL football! My hood has a nice dent right near the center line.

Here's how it went down:

I was driving along a side street here in my city and I glance to the left and see a kid on his front lawn with his hands on his head and a fearful look on his face. He had kicked the football up in the air and it was headed straight towards my truck. Before I could realize why the kid looked like that, SLAM! The football hits my hood nose side down. I stopped, told the kid to get his dad, and checked out my hood. I discussed with the dad that it's going to need to be repaired. He offered to pay for it to get fixed. I got his name/number/address... He lives right around the corner from me. I doubt he's going to take off or anything! lol I didn't get the police involved for such a little thing. The way I look at it, if for some reason, worst case scenario, he refuses to pay for it, I'll just leave it as is b/c in the spring I am getting a cowl induction hood. Why waste money fixing this one, when it's coming off in a few months. I'll be going to the body shop tomorrow to see how much it'll cost. Ballpark range, what do you guys think repairing a dent like that would be? Would the hood need to be repainted??

Thanks,

-Bob
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Got a pic of the dent ? If your going to replace it anyhow why fix it. Id try one of them dent popping tools first. Take the cash from dad and put it towards the cowl hood. Its better that it hit your hood and not the roof. :x
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I know it is easy to underestimate body shop repairs. I always guess way to low.

I bet that the body shop will price a new hood in it's estimates. A year or so back I found OEM hoods at an indoor fle market for $55 and they are still on ebay for under $100 but shipping slays you ($70).

I had a shop give me an estimate of $225 for labor on painting/installing a new goodmark cowl induction hood but, I have given them thousands of dollars worth of business with my "G rides".

I'd take the estimate, show it to the father, offer him a chance to get his own estimate, and take what you can get and get a goodmark hood if, you do not already have one.

I do not recall Ohio motor vehicle laws but, your "incident" may be covered under your comp. insurance. Give the agent a call. Comp. claims, such as glass breakage, do not count against you here in KY and doesn't affect your rates.

All and all, count your blessings. You could have walked out of walmart, found your rig side swiped and never find out who did it.

Small claims court is an alternative.

Most of all, look back at your youth and remember yourself realizing that you have just kicked a ball or swung a bat and saw the trajectory of the ball and the target in it's path. Give the little guy credit for being outside and not clutching some PS2 controller on his couch. :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote:Got a pic of the dent ? If your going to replace it anyhow why fix it. Id try one of them dent popping tools first. Take the cash from dad and put it towards the cowl hood. Its better that it hit your hood and not the roof. :x
Beat me to the punch again............. :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

$50 and a call to "Dent King" would take care of it here. Those guys are amazing. If the dent has not broken the paint, they can pull it without even being able to tell where it was.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Well, I went to a body shop today... The shop quoted me $518.37!! There's a number of things on this printout... paint and materials, removing the hood, masking, repairing, repainting, clear coat, ect... I took the estimate over to the guy and he made a copy and said he's going to contact his insurance company and see what happens. He seems pretty nice about it and I remained well mannered both times, even though when it happened I was a bit mad (on the inside) but I didn't show it. Do insurance companies generally write a check to me, to him, or to the body shop??

-Bob
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Depends on the Ins. company. More than likely it will be made out to the shop.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

you could get a cowl hood and painted for about that
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

That's what I was thinkin! :) This may work out in my favor! I'll have to see if I get the money or if the body shop does... I may be able to work out a deal with them? Who knows! Just gotta wait and see what happens
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

What respectable body wouldn't want to earn $50 bucks for a signature and no hassle. Explain what you are wanting to do :)

I have seen checks made out to both parties. The bodyshop and you.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

order the hood have it shipped to them its cheaper to have them shipped to a business and whatever money they dont use you will get unless it cost you a few bucks, even if it cost you 100 bucks its still worth it. Damn not I want a football to hit my hood
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

LOL!!! If only I could get a football to hit something to cause me to get a body lift installed for free!! hahaha
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

BobbleSmitty wrote:Well, I went to a body shop today... The shop quoted me $518.37!! There's a number of things on this printout... paint and materials, removing the hood, masking, repairing, repainting, clear coat, ect... I took the estimate over to the guy and he made a copy and said he's going to contact his insurance company and see what happens. He seems pretty nice about it and I remained well mannered both times, even though when it happened I was a bit mad (on the inside) but I didn't show it. Do insurance companies generally write a check to me, to him, or to the body shop??

-Bob

$518.37 !!! :shock: I couldn't do it to the kid. What would your dad have done to you ? His dad is going to woop his a$$ unless its covered by insurance. The dent doctor thing is a good idea unless it broke the paint. Its worth a try.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

He's going to go thru his homeowners insurance I believe. But believe me, I feel very bad for the kid in a way, but the back yards around my neighborhood are pretty big, shouldn't the parents have told him to go in the back if he was going to be kicking a football around? I feel bad doing it, but it needs to be fixed (or I am going to take the fixing money and upgrade to a nicer hood). If my kid did that to someone elses car, I wouldn't be very happy at my kid, but I would also feel that it was my responsibility to repair the damages that he has done to someone elses property. Which is what this dad did, he offered to pick it up. I'm not going to argue with him... I am paying my way through college and have a nice car payment, I dont have alot of money to throw around.
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

...By the way, it does need to be repainted.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote:
$518.37 !!! :shock: I couldn't do it to the kid. What would your dad have done to you ? His dad is going to woop his a$$ unless its covered by insurance. The dent doctor thing is a good idea unless it broke the paint. Its worth a try.

With all due respect BADs (and I am not playing "Barch") how is the young lad gonna learn anything?

Next day at school the "kicker" tells all his buds how he took out an S-10 hood and "Daddy took care of it for me"?

Maybe not an ass whooping but a coach working with him in a local league would be better. I am shutting up, am sorry I went here :!:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I wouldnt feel bad about it at all if I see you bump my door in a parking lot and leave a mark im gonna ream your ass and have you pay to fix my truck just like it was before you touched it this is no diffrent, if you feel bad about it send me the 500 and I will put it to good use.

maybe to help with the down payment on this

didnt try to hijack :)
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

No, I know what you mean. I just feel bad that the kid has no luck what so ever with it hitting my hood... I mean, there's barely any traffic around here, what are the chances of a car driving by right when his ball was descending into the street??? I completely feel that they are responsible for fixing it tho. I'm just like you Jeff, I do not like to see dents or scratches on my car. I park far away from other cars when I run to Home Depot or something. I don't mind the 10 more seconds it takes to walk the extra 200 feet.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I agree with BADs Crew. We have all made mistakes as youths. I have seen all kinds of bashing about illegal immigrants trying to get over on the man. Now I am seeing Americans trying to find a way to get over on the insurance companies. I have done stupid things as a teenager and have seen people profit from it. I think that's B.S. Pay your debt and that's it. Everyone is trying to get over on everyone else and that's part of the problem in this country. It's not the Republicans and it's not the Democrats, it's not the illegals and i'ts not the politicians, because its all of us, Americans, that control this country. That's just my two cents.

Steve

edited-HJ
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

YEAH YEAH I know what you all mean. I park my truck 3 miles from the mall and hitch my way in so I don't get the car door dings. I hate dents too. If dads going to foot the bill I'd take it too but if it had not broke the paint I would have let him try the cheap way out first. But at $500 plus I would sure upgrade the hood. My boy tosses the ball around the yard too but he knows to be down in the yard and not near the trucks. He knows how far away I park just not to get car door hits. Sorry if you thought I was bustin on ya. But damm Jeff a DODGE !!! :puke:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

just thinkin I have an 04 with 87000 miles on it and a 6yr loan and havent had any problems with it YET (knock on wood) im thinking about unloading it before things start to go wrong then I cant get rid of it just a thought right now ,But the dealer will pay off my truck and get me in that 1 for 50$ more then I pay now and there Special editions all numbered :)
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

The company I work for pays all the repair bills on supervisors trucks. I have had 2 Dodge owners in my department that I have to approve the repair bills on. These trucks break down often and when they do its big dollar repairs. One of em was in the shop once month for three months before I convinced him to trade it and they both had fairly low miles on em. I ran my 4.3 G-20 van 230000 miles before its first major repair. Sorry but I'm a Chevy man.
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

The insurance company called me today and is going to send me the check for the entire balance of the repair. They also are providing a rental for the time that my truck is in the shop. I am going to try to work something out with the guy I know up at the body shop and get a 2nd gen Goodmark Cowl Induction hood installed instead! So within the month or so, I should have the new hood!
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

BobbleSmitty wrote:I am going to try to work something out with the guy I know up at the body shop and get a 2nd gen Goodmark Cowl Induction hood installed instead!

:thumb:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

speaking about insurance companies and such. It is your right to have the check made out to whoever you want. If the vehicle is still in a Lein holding status its your butt if you dont get it fixed. If the vehicle is paid for then you can do whatever you like wtih the cash. The insurance company cannot force you to have the vehicle fixed with any certain company and therefore the reason for the check to you... and dont let anycompany tell you differently. I lost 2200 dollars that way.
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I got the check in the mail today. I'll be heading up to the shop later this week to see what we can work out about a cowl hood!