Anyone here into Archery?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

chumley
Crew
Crew

Anyone here into Archery?

Post by chumley »

Bought me a new bow about 3 weeks ago. Iam really into 3-D shoots,and my trusty PSE Mach 8 I've been shooting for the last 7 yrs or so was starting to give me some problems. So I went to the bow shop I deal with and he showed me this http://www.whispercreekarchery.com/imag ... 0small.jpg Weird looking! He says shoot it in the range and see what you think. So I go fling a couple arrows, and wow I love this thing! Gotta check w/ the CFO and a few days later I pick it up. Absolutely LOVE this thing! No shock at all even w/o a stabilizer. If you're looking for a new bow or even if your not shoot one of these and see what you think. This thing smokes pretty good-275 fps with carbon arrows. Averaged @ 240's on a 30 target course- shot a personal best of 284/ 30 targets last week with my new bow! Sorry if this is unrelated to our trucks but just wanted to see if there are any other archery hunters here.
[size=75]98 4dr Blazer 5"TM 2"bl 33"BFG AT Flowmaster w/ duals http://community.webshots.com/user/chumleyd8
-Stupidity should be painful-[/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I was just going to post an archery thread on here!! Too weird...I just got home from scouting and setting up a 16 foot ladder stand (large sized pain in the ass). I saw the Whisper Creek at a bowshop in PA just recently when I was up there visiting my family...they do look a little odd but those Mighty Mite bows are just down right weird, I saw one of those at the bowshop too. I still shoot a Golden Eagle Pro Evolution that I bought In '96. With the draw length let out as long as it will go it pulls like around 80+ pounds, so it shoots fast enough but not as fast as these newer bows. I think I will have to break down and buy a new one next year...think I'll go with a Matthews Switchback or one of the new Fred Bear series.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I meant Ben Pearson...not Fred Bear, I always screw that up.
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

Where ya from in PA?
[size=75]98 4dr Blazer 5"TM 2"bl 33"BFG AT Flowmaster w/ duals http://community.webshots.com/user/chumleyd8
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Well, I'm from New York state...but only by like 5 miles. I grew up in Findley Lake New York, which is very close to Erie PA...it takes like 2 minutes traveling west to get to PA from there. We were always in Corry, North East, Harborcreek, Erie and those places around there.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Maybe one of you guys could explain how John Voigt shot himself with an arrow in that canoeing movie?

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

barch97 wrote:Maybe one of you guys could explain how John Voigt shot himself with an arrow in that canoeing movie?

I Bet Ned Beatty Wished He Would Have Gotten Shot With An Arrow Instead :roflmao:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

that is an odd looking bow.!!! will stick with my Martin Jaguar for now!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

top_sgt wrote:that is an odd looking bow.!!! will stick with my Martin Jaguar for now!!!!
The bow in the screen shot?? Its just a run of the mill recurve...thats what they are supposed to look like. I'm guessing that the screen shot is from the movie Deliverance, which I have never seen. As far as shooting ones self with a bow is concerned...it would be more than a little difficult. That whole " I was cleaning it and it went off" thing doesnt cut it when you think about it, so I'm at a loss.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

top_sgt wrote:that is an odd looking bow.!!! will stick with my Martin Jaguar for now!!!!
Now I do feel old :lol: I was in college ( after my stint in the service) when the compounds came out :shock:

I resisted drawing a compound back because I knew I'd be hooked. Exactly the same reasons why I stayed away from cassettes, CDs, DVDs, MP3 players, Sattilite radios, power windows, ATs and smokeless powder :roflmao:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

clarification!!!! i meant the whisper creek bow!!!
i know burt is using a recurve....shot a few myself......love my martin, though!!!!!!! :D
and if you haven't seen Deliverance......................watch it!!!!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

top_sgt wrote:clarification!!!! i meant the whisper creek bow!!!
i know burt is using a recurve....shot a few myself......love my martin, though!!!!!!! :D
and if you haven't seen Deliverance......................watch it!!!!!
Saw Deliverance when you were you were in grade school :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

One cool thing about the CC/SB is how big it makes the deer look if you whack one and stick it in the truck. I got my truck the night before opening day of archery season last year and shot a run of the mill 6-point...I took picutres of it in the bed and the thing looks huge because the bed is so small. I'll see if the wife will help me post pics...its kinda funny.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Opening day here in IL is October 1... I've been ready for months. Anyone else??
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

1 week until opening day of archery and I still don't have my license. I gotta get my butt in gear! :shock:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

opening day here was Sept 16th
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

labor day weekend we started here in kentucky!!!!!
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

top_sgt wrote:labor day weekend we started here in kentucky!!!!!
When I was stationed at Ft. Campbell, all I heard about was how great the hunting was there... I never got to see for myself though.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

yes it is!!!!!!! :)
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Well, it all worked out in the end though...I ended up in central Illinois...arguably the best hunting area in the continental US!!!
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

Here I sit in Southern Illinois, 2 days away from opening day. I have been scouting for months, shot my Matthews all year long, have numerous tree stands up on different pieces of ground, and can't wait untill Saturday :D
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

hey Rusty,
what time you going to get up to go hunting in the morning ?
Have there been any reportings of CWD down there also?
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

snocat1 wrote:hey Rusty,
what time you going to get up to go hunting in the morning ?
Have there been any reportings of CWD down there also?
I'll try to be in my stand by 5:30 or so...People are all on edge about CWD but I am unaware of any actual identified cases of CWD in Mclean or Woodford coutny. I still think its a good idea to be careful though.

This has been the longest week ever...good luck on Saturday.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Jeff wrote:Here I sit in Southern Illinois, 2 days away from opening day. I have been scouting for months, shot my Matthews all year long, have numerous tree stands up on different pieces of ground, and can't wait untill Saturday :D
How do you like the Matthews bow?? Am I correct to assume you shoot the Switchback... I've been shooting my Golden Eagle Pro Evolution for 10 years. It's still as dependable as it was when I bought it but its a little outdated anymore. If I can afford it, next year I think I'll buy a Switchback.

Good luck this weekend.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

...damn. I thought someone might have something to post...atleast those of us in Illinois. I guess I'll still throw in my .02. So far I have seen a really large 8 point and 2 decent 10's. Just heard today that a 317 pound 28 point was shot across the road from where I hunt (Kappa IL). If i can get pictures I'll try to post them.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

ok...i'll post something......i have one deer in the freezer complements of my martin jaguar, with easton carbons!!! going for number two this weekend with my CVA!!!! happy hunting/harvesting to all!!!!!
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

I haven't been out yet but my buddies I hunt with have been. Another guy that hunts the same farm we do and his stand is @ 200 yds from mine shot a nice 10 pointer last Thurs. night . My buddy told me he said it came from the direction of my stand :cry: Guess ya gotta be in the woods to see 'em right?
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

yup!!! gotta be there to see 'em!!!!
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

chumley wrote:I haven't been out yet but my buddies I hunt with have been. Another guy that hunts the same farm we do and his stand is @ 200 yds from mine shot a nice 10 pointer last Thurs. night . My buddy told me he said it came from the direction of my stand :cry: Guess ya gotta be in the woods to see 'em right?
...my dad bought his PA license, paid out of state for it because he lives like 2 minutes inside NY...and hasnt even gone out yet. NY starts this weekend though.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

we have muzzelload this weekend here in KY.. deer number two in the freezer now!!!! :)
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

and still no pics im starting to think this is almost like a fishing story.

Its your story tell it like you want
:)
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I have pictures of the little 6 pointer I shot last year...I will have my wife help me post them.

If you are refering to the 317 pounder that is rumored to have been shot that I mentioned in a previous post...rest assured that I am as skeptical as the next guy, until I see pictures. By the way, its not MY story...I have just heard the same story from a couple of different guys.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

im just funnin with ya
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

...no big.