Synthetic Winch Cable/Rope...any good?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Synthetic Winch Cable/Rope...any good?

Post by Walt »

Howdy everybody!

Looks like I will end up with a Winch after all. Between B-day money from misc. relatives, and my in-laws I'll almost have enough to buy ANOTHER MileMarker :lol: :lol: But I don't plan on selling this one....hehe.

Anyways, I've heard alot of discussion about synthetic Winch rope. It seems that it has become a big hit in the offroad world. Haave any of you ever used it?

Oh yea, Brule, have you really stressed your winch yet?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Synthetic Winch Cable/Rope...any good?

Post by kf6kmx »

wamason wrote:Howdy everybody!

Looks like I will end up with a Winch after all. Between B-day money from misc. relatives, and my in-laws I'll almost have enough to buy ANOTHER MileMarker :lol: :lol: But I don't plan on selling this one....hehe.

Anyways, I've heard alot of discussion about synthetic Winch rope. It seems that it has become a big hit in the offroad world. Haave any of you ever used it?

Oh yea, Brule, have you really stressed your winch yet?
Never seen/used the 4x4 synth winch cable.. I have seen a pretty impressive demo of a 1/4" (!) kevlar line lift several thousand pounds in a marine recovery winch.. looked like some kinds of weird fishing line with a really big 'fish' hanging on the end.. if I hadnt seen it myself I would have never believed that small a diameter line could support that kind of weight.
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

My buddy just ordered synthetic rope for his winch. Don't know much about it since he hasn't gotten it yet but from what he tells me it will be about 20' longer than his cable half the diameter and only weigh about 2 lbs. Also, it supposedly doesn't store energy so there is 0 recoil or snap back if it breaks. I know a lot of people are switching to it but I will no more after my friend gets a chance to use his.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Cool, keep me updated. It's mighty expensive stuff, but I've heard good things. I'm not to worried about breaking the cable since either winch I'm looking at comes with 3/8" cable rated far above the winches capacity. But then again, I'll probably always carry a small sandbag or something with me to lay across the cable. A friend of mine used to do that when he winched anything, and one day it saved his hide. His cable snapped and he was standing next to it. No injuries thanks to the little sandbag :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...