Starting to feel better about my CC

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Starting to feel better about my CC

Post by F9K9 »

Stepping out of a '97 ZR2 that had Zero problems for 7 yrs except, for the wiper recall and the reclining driver's seat handle snafu and getting the '02 CC was constantly a thorn in my side. I had no intension of ever owning a CC and was looking at Canyons and Colorados. I spotted the "school bus CC "'02 on the lot when I was in the mood to deal with the local "lot lizards" for a Colorado. It was a new '02 and the date was in May of '04. I figured it was a water damaged vehicle but, the lizard advised it was new with warranty and GM had picked it up from a dealer that had held it to long or went bankrupt. Never had leather, heated seats or mirrors and was never impressed with the options unless they were in a Porsche 911.

At close to 10k off msrp if it had been "Mary Kay" pink I think, I would have bought it.

I kept thinking of the mods I could of done to the ZR2 in the first couple months that I had the CC and regretted buying the CC. Things began to "gel" with the CC with research I did and some helpful members on this site.

Did a deal and got a HPP III, added an airaid system (w/backyard heat sheild), stepped up to bilsteins HD shoccks, have daystars enroute but, what little mods I have done makes the school bus more appealing to me.
EDIT.... AM planning a 2"BL and a cowl induction hood and probably 31's when finished, next yr. Would love to find someone local to help them with their BL and get the favor returned but, that is merely wishful thinking.

I probably have done more "off-roading" at taxpayers expense than most
could imagine. I have most of the "off-road" out of my system but, it is slowly creeping back. Up until recently I considered the CC as a version of a minivan but, with the final bilsteins added today and a short off-road exercise, I feel the "bug" returning.

The Daystars are enroute, the black US Wheel Daytonas are close on the Daystar's tail and I have good advice on a conservative TB crank from a new friend.

Have been a bit down on my CC as of late and wanted to express my new found excitement with it.

Finally, I want to echo KCustom's sentiments as well as many/most/ all of us here in saying that souls like camelott112, Maximous and all the rest serving our nation...........Thank you!!!!!

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

I know exactly how you feel man. I was in the same boat.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

WOW!!!

This has made me VERY happy. Seems I've been REALLY lucky with mine.
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

reason I was feeling like that was because Icouldnt find any info for suspension lifts and stuff like that. Have had a few minor problems with my truck. But since Ive seen what some have done to there cc here I have renewed intrest.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I was losing interest in my CC for a while. Mostly frustration with lack of available mods or lack of available funds for the mods.

Then I wrecked it.

Now I have no interest at all in it. I don't even want to drive it anymore. I hear from others that this is actually a fairly normal reaction though and that I'll get over it eventually.
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

as far as the Salute to military members, i thank you and also pass that Salute on down the line to the others on this site that serve, but this isnt the first war this country has ever been in, so i send that Salute right back to where it came from,

Second, what is the hype with the HD shocks, what is the + or - of those, not tracking on that one, little help please
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maximous wrote:Second, what is the hype with the HD shocks, what is the + or - of those, not tracking on that one, little help please
Stock shocks suck. GM pays .99 each for those and warranties them until the term ends.

check out these threads- Leaking Shocks , Bilsteins installed...wow! , Bilsteins , I need shocks , Time to replace shocks?

There are some more that a search will turn up.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Stick around, I see more and more mods popping up for our CC's. Just a matter of time. :D
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

quickbiker wrote:Stick around, I see more and more mods popping up for our CC's. Just a matter of time. :D
I think that you predicted that one very accurately, Paul! :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

:wink: Yea, the s-10 crew cab have stopped production and give it another 5-10 years, they will be in high demand among hard core wheelers. They are made to be modified! lol.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Feeling better too!

Post by Rich K. »

Forgive me, I'm a new guy on the block so I am playing catch up. I know the original post for this was in 2004 but I feel the pain. I too bought a CC in 2004 and traded in my ZR2 to get it. I thought I needed the fifth seat. Mine is also an 2002 and its been called everything from my yellow bus to my little canary. I am not happy at all being so close to the ground and until I really understood that the nerf bars were to access the roof area I thought they were just to protect from small rocks and to get mud on my Sunday go to meeting clothes when I stepped out of the truck. Compound this with my family obligations and what seemed to be a lack of information, I haven't modified my CC yet. :cry:

Having said that, I am here now and what an awesome resource this forum is. I feel better knowing I am not alone in my CC woes and even better I got here late enough in the game that you guys have already brought me up to speed on what I've missed out on over the years. I am excited about my CC now and the possibilities. Thanks! :bounce:
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Welcome! Yes, this has got to be the best resource for the S series, especially the 2nd gen not only the CC's. Someone's got a fix for just about everything in here, and many mods, it'll make your head spin! :nana:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Many many many mods abound here! Limited only by your time and oh yeah your wallet. :wink:
Welcome aboard! :cheers:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner wrote:..............Limited only by your time and oh yeah your wallet. :wink:
Welcome aboard! :cheers:

Just hush about the mods and wallet thing :) Mrs Hoff just found my ad with a list of them that I made when listing my XJ for sale. If, she ever finds a list on my Crew Cab then, Brule and I better go into witness protection :lol:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Didn't you post that list some time ago on this or another s-10 site? Remember she can surf too on her new computer. Witness protection might be needed for all your co-conspirators. Image
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Probably won't help to hide. :hide: Most women are pretty good at finding things when they want to. Maybe you and Brule can share a cave somewhere. :lmao: After all, if it's in the hills somewhere it'd give both of ya a chance for more wheelin! :rig:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We may have the opportunity in October. This area is the stomping grounds for Butch and Sundance. Hole in the wall is not far away.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:.........Witness protection might be needed for all your co-conspirators. Image
Thanks for reminding me. I know my hobby looks small when compared you yours, Little John :wink:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:We may have the opportunity in October. This area is the stomping grounds for Butch and Sundance. Hole in the wall is not far away.
Hope you guys get to do it by choice and not force for your sakes! :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:We may have the opportunity in October. ......
I completely forgot it was in the same area. Another reason to be excited about Oct!
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Ignorant new guy asking a question...

Post by Rich K. »

I noticed you guys referenced something called "hole in the wall" and everyone seemed pretty excited about this. Is it something I can know about? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry guess I confused Hole-in-the-wall, with Hole-in-the-rock.
Hole-in-the-rock wrote:THE HOLE-IN-THE-ROCK TRAIL

In the spring of 1880 a direct supply and access road connecting southwestern and southeastern Utah was completed. Known as the Hole-In-The-Rock Trail, its direct penetration through the Colorado River gorge and surrounding topography shortened distances over alternative routes by up to hundreds of miles. Built by Mormon pioneers answering a mission call to colonize the southeastern section of the territory, the trail provided a crucial link for one year before the most rugged stretches were bypassed with the opening of Hall's Crossing.

The mission which resulted in the trail's construction was initiated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to secure peaceful relations with the Indians and to open the area to further colonization. After four months of exploring for a feasible route to their intended destination, the pioneers selected a direct route from Escalante. Although it was the least explored of all the possible routes, it was by far the shortest.

As winter approached at the end of November 1879, 250 men, women, and children, with 80 wagons and 1,000 head of cattle, found themselves up against terribly broken, seemingly impassable terrain. The settlers had been en route for more than two weeks when they reached the 1,200-foot-deep Colorado River gorge, sixty-five miles southeast of Escalante.

For six weeks, the men labored on a wagon road down the sandstone cliffs to the Colorado River. Built by chiseling and blasting a path through a steep crevice named the Hole-in-the-Rock, their road stands today as a testament of pioneer ingenuity and determination. Construction consisted of cutting away a 40-foot drop-off at the top of the crevice, moving huge boulders, leveling high spots, filling depressions, and widening crevice walls. To avoid the steep grades near the bottom of the Hole-in-the-Rock, the pioneers tacked their road onto the face of the north wall of the crevice. The tacked-on road was supported by oak stakes secured into holes drilled into the crevice wall at two-foot intervals.

After driving the wagons through the Hole-in-the-Rock and ferrying across the 300-foot-wide river, the emigrants proceeded east out of the river gorge. On 6 April 1880, after another ten weeks of grueling labor in harsh winter conditions, the missionaries reached a sandy bottomland along the banks of the San Juan River where they established Bluff City.

The hundred miles of road built after descending the Hole-in-the-Rock crossed some of the most rugged terrain in North America. Deep ravines and washes were crossed, trails down thousand-foot drop-offs blasted, deserts traversed, paths through thick cedar forests cut, and steep cliffs ascended. Many grades required seven spans of horses to pull the heavily laden wagons, and the worst stretches could be identified by the blood and matted hair from the forelegs of the struggling teams.

In all, the trek took six months. Food supplies were depleted, and teams had been worn to the point of exhaustion. Two babies were born en route and, miraculously, no one had died. The pioneers had toiled under the most trying of circumstances in a harsh land. Most significantly, their ordeal forged them into a self-reliant colony ready for the formidable tasks of nurturing peace with the Indians, controlling the lawless who sought refuge in the area, irrigating with the unruly San Juan River, and eking out a living from the sun-baked land.
Hole-in-the-wall wrote:Hole-in-the-Wall Gang, was the name given to a gang in the American Wild West, which took its name from the Hole-in-the-Wall Pass in Johnson County, Wyoming, where several outlaw gangs had their hideouts. The Gang was not simply one large organized gang of outlaws, but rather was made up of several separate gangs, all operating out of the Hole-in-the-Wall Pass, using it as their base of operations. The gangs formed a coalition, each planning and carrying out its own robberies with very little interaction with the other gangs. At times, members of one gang would ride along with other gangs, but usually each gang operated separately, meeting up only when they were each at the hideout at the same time.

Geographically, the hideout had all the advantages needed for a gang attempting to evade the authorities. It was easily defended, and impossible for lawmen to access without detection by the outlaws concealed there. It contained an infrastructure, with each gang supplying its own food and livestock supply, as well as its own horses. A corral, livery stable, and numerous cabins were constructed, one or two for each gang. Anyone operating out of there adhered to certain rules of the camp, to include a certain way in handling disputes with other gang members, and never stealing from another gang's supplies, and there was no leader, with each gang adhering to its own chain of command. The hideout was also used for shelter and a place for the outlaws to lay up during the harsh Wyoming winters.

Members included such infamous desperadoes as Butch Cassidy, the Sundance Kid, Kid Curry and his brother Lonny Curry, "Laughing" Sam Carey, Black Jack Ketchum, Elzy Lay, and George "Flat Nose" Curry, along with several lesser known outlaw gangs of the Old West. Several posses trailed outlaws to the location, and there were several shootouts as posses attempted to enter, all resulting in the posses being repulsed, and being forced to withdraw. No lawmen ever successfully entered it to capture outlaws during its more than fifty years of active existence, nor were any lawmen attempting to infiltrate it by use of undercover techniques successful.

The encampment operated with a steady stream of outlaw gangs rotating in and out from the late 1860s to the early 20th century. However by 1910, very few outlaws used the hideout, and it eventually faded into history. One of the cabins used by Butch Cassidy still exists today, and was relocated to Cody, Wyoming, where it is on display to the public.
Outlaws spent lots of time moving across state lines in this area. The geography offer lots of places to hide. Much of the area we plan to travel was popular to the outlaws in their travels.
Backcountry Adventures: Utah (Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson) has lots of history on the different trails if you want a book to read.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

Ah ha... I've hunted in the northwest corner of Colorado where these outlaws moved between Wyoming and Utah. It is obvious why they used it to hide. It's easy to get lost in there if you want to. Thanks for bringing me up to speed!
[size=75]Drive it in, tow it out! Thats our motto...[/size]