Test drove a Colorado

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Test drove a Colorado

Post by Black03ZR5 »

I have to say I am really only impressed by the exterior looks and larger bed. I drove a sunburst orange z71 crew cab. The interior still felt somewhat cheap, but that could also be related to the fact that I drove one with the stupid rainbow gay cloth seats. When driving the truck you can notice how much stiffer and solid of a truck over the s-10 it is. My only real complaint would the wine of the I-5, other than that it really isn't too bad. The leather steering wheel is thicker and has better quality leather and the truck feels like a slightly smaller Silverado. I am really thinking about swapping out. It really comes down to what I can get for my truck. The dealer said they would give me 19,500 for my truck and would take 3500 off the sticker price of a new Colorado leaving me to pay the remaining 7,000. Doesn't seem like to bad of a deal, I have my real dealer seeing what he could do, as the dealer I test drove at was the only one with a z71 crew cab in around me.
Overall, I think this will make a great replacement and I really like it. But I think that more could have been done with the interior.
Dave
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

We need someone to thouroughly examine the front end, maybe snap some pics and show us. lol. Or maybe I can take a gander myself one day. I'd like to know the specs, the real specs. Like what kinda rearend, what kinda front diff, etc, etc.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Can someone say "24 hour GM test drive" :evil:
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Theres no room in there, it has that submarine hatch rear door!
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

Got a canyon for a rental while my crew is in the shop for the cv boot repairs. I am not really impressed with the canyon at the moment.

Pros
- Larger bed with 8 tie down points compared to 4 in the S-10 - I took a trip to home depot and picked up 4 sheets of 4x8 sheet rock to test it out. The larger bed made a big difference
- Suspension seems to ride much better (feels more solid like Dave said above)
- Power window and door lock controls are much easier to use. It has the pull back - press down ones.
- Appears to have more ground clearance (seems like I had to take a bigger step out compared to the crew)
- Engine runs much smoother - the crew sounds really rough compared to this one.
- I may be strange but I like the cool sound the blinker makes opposed to the large relay click clack in the crew.
- 4wd seems to shift in and out much smoother - the crew tends to make a clunk when the front diff locks in, the canyon was quiet, just a slight click.

Cons
- Brakes are really strange; the first 4" of travel don't appear to do anything, the last 1/2" is what counts, I found my self being jerked forward alot. Maybe you would get used to it eventually but I felt like I was 16 again driving my dads truck.
- Interior feels cheap compared to the crew (the seat material sucks)
- Steering wheel feels alot smaller
- The truck is wider over all and thus the interior seems to spread out up front. I like the cosy feel of the S-10 where all the controls are driver focused. I also like the right arm rest in the crew. It's much more comfortable to lean on while driving. The hvac and stereo also feel like they are very far away. I like how I can kind of rest my palm on the shifter while I screw with the tuner controls on the crew.
- No headed mirrors (didn't see them anyway)

Thats all for now, going to drive to work tomorrow...more to report
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

How about power? Does the larger horsepower make a difference?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

black03zr6 wrote:The dealer said they would give me 19,500 for my truck
Wow that's a pretty good deal for a trade in, that's just about what I paid for my truck in 2003 when I drove it off the lot. If they still made the CC's that would be almost worth throwing my CC on one of my trailers and driving it to Minnesota for a trade in on a 2006 :lol:

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

My brother has a z71 crew cab Colorado with the I5. I'd have to say that it feels like it takes off a little faster than the Zr5, but we'll find out for sure in a few weeks at the track :D The Colorados have 225 ft/lbs of torque and 220HP... a stock S10 has 190hp and i think 250 ft/lbs... It feels like our trucks pull alot harder... I think my bro's truck gets to about 48mph in first gear, it revs higher than ours... mine shifts to 2nd at 39... I like the Colorado alot, its a nice looking truck from the outside, but the inside is pretty cheap.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

my fiancee has an extended cab colorado z-71.....as compared to my s-10crewcab...... hers does take off quicker....but i can bark my 30" tires..she cannot bark hers!!!!!! i like the feel of my crewcab with the new shocks and bodylift!!! hers does need better shocks!!!! and maybe a body lift!! :)
i think my s-10 has a tighter feel as compared to the colorado......and i do not like the colorado seats......mine are more comfortable at driving distances!!!!!
just some info for you all!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I'd have to say a big con is the reduced towing capacity compared to the crew. Once you start deducting for people and gear I would be out of the capacity for even pulling my pop-up.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

I was looking at the new colorados and then saw one in person and i didnt like it at all... so i went one step up and got an 03' Silverado SS :D
michael_4x4
Crew
Crew

Post by michael_4x4 »

top_sgt what have you done to your truck performance wise
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Just FYI. The new Hummer H3 shares the same platform as the Colorado/Canyon. Just wish GM could ditch the *&^&$^%$*( IFS. But it would be a good on road rig though.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]