What will happen to the s-series aftermarket?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

What will happen to the s-series aftermarket?

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Ok -- I typed up a long post and the corporate webserver died as I was trying to post it....

Basically, is anyone else concerned that the few manufacturers of off-road suspension and performance components will cease their production of the parts for our trucks with the intro of the Colorado and Canyon?

The S-series has always been brushed aside or backburnered by these guys, so that they could develop stuff for poeple like the F-150/250, Newer GM Fullsize trucks and stuff. I find that odd since the S-series has remained virtually unchanged since 84/85 when it was released, even with the 1st gen /2nd Gen changeover.

the New Colorado/Canyon may have the same style of suspension, but are they the same size and dimensions? I doubt that GM would have re-used the S-series frame and suspension completely. If so that's good, cause that means Suspension designed for them should be retro-fittable to us, but I doubt we will be that lucky.

Oh well, it seems every time that I have bought a vehicle, I have never bought "The easily modded" one -- everyone else was ricing out Civics, I bought a Z24 -- blew them all away on the street, and handled better too stock. I guess the fact that everyone and their brother doesnt make stuff for our trucks means that the ones that are out there are fairly good kits.

I just hope that in 18-24 months TrailMaster hasn't discontinued our 5 inch kit.

And Warn, No, fabbing up a SFA for me isn't in the pocket book yet :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: What will happen to the s-series aftermarket?

Post by Warnoffroad »

adrenalnjunky wrote:And Warn, No, fabbing up a SFA for me isn't in the pocket book yet :-)
darn!
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

:roflmao:
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

adrenalnjunky wrote:Ok -- I typed up a long post and the corporate webserver died as I was trying to post it....

Basically, is anyone else concerned that the few manufacturers of off-road suspension and performance components will cease their production of the parts for our trucks with the intro of the Colorado and Canyon?

The S-series has always been brushed aside or backburnered by these guys, so that they could develop stuff for poeple like the F-150/250, Newer GM Fullsize trucks and stuff. I find that odd since the S-series has remained virtually unchanged since 84/85 when it was released, even with the 1st gen /2nd Gen changeover.

the New Colorado/Canyon may have the same style of suspension, but are they the same size and dimensions? I doubt that GM would have re-used the S-series frame and suspension completely. If so that's good, cause that means Suspension designed for them should be retro-fittable to us, but I doubt we will be that lucky.

Oh well, it seems every time that I have bought a vehicle, I have never bought "The easily modded" one -- everyone else was ricing out Civics, I bought a Z24 -- blew them all away on the street, and handled better too stock. I guess the fact that everyone and their brother doesnt make stuff for our trucks means that the ones that are out there are fairly good kits.

I just hope that in 18-24 months TrailMaster hasn't discontinued our 5 inch kit.

And Warn, No, fabbing up a SFA for me isn't in the pocket book yet :-)
I know the feeling on always buying the ones that are hard to modify. The '99 Ranger 4x4 I had before I got the Crew was a pain to mess with. It had the 3.0 engine which had almost nothing available from the aftermarket for it. The 4.0's were way better. I finally gave up. Countless other cars I have had before that were the same way. I have a 1st gen S-10 Blazer now which at least is a little better for parts but finding things for the 2nd gens is a pain. My wife put an end to my modding the Crew, by the way.

Oh, I noticed your "signature line" and ironically, the only "easily modded" vehicle I have in my garage is a '70 Volkswagen Westfalia Camper. Seems there is no shortage of parts for those, but what's the point? Everything I have done to mine has only brought the performance level up to Yugo standards! :lol:

Oh, and that brick could be considered a Volkswagen tool!
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Lol - I keep getting asked by the little woman when I'm "going to finish the ghia" -- cause she likes ghias. Personally I have wanted a bug since I was about 12 and finally got one -- I'm working on it. The ghia hasnt been touched in a while cause I'm beginnig to think it's terminal. Body panels are too expensive for that car, and it needs a good amount of sheetmetal reattached.

but oh well, as long as she thinks I'm working on something --she can't tell if the suspension I'm working on is Bug, Ghia, Blazer, or from her own Mazda 626 for that matter -- I just say I'm going "To work on the ghia some in the shop today..."
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I've turned my Bus into a "storage shed" of sorts. All I really need to do is fix the brakes but somehow I always seem to find something else to do instead. The wife keeps on me about it though so I guess this winter I'll have to finally fix it. That is after I fix the Blazer, the lawnmower, clean the garage.......
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

GaryH wrote:I've turned my Bus into a "storage shed"
:lol: :lol: a true redneck shed. If it aint in his front yard its in the back of a bus.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Warnoffroad wrote:
:lol: :lol: a true redneck shed. If it aint in his front yard its in the back of a bus.
Well, more of a "Hippie Shed" really. Just got to paint some flowers on it. :lol:
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

GaryH wrote:
Warnoffroad wrote:
Well, more of a "Hippie Shed" really. Just got to paint some flowers on it. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Oh, and to get back to the original subject, since once again I've "derailed" it, what s-series aftermarket? It seems like while the S-series is 10 times the truck that say a Ranger is (or I thought so anyway), the Ranger gets 10 times the attention from the aftermarket. I think it has to do with market share among other things. From what I've read, there are more Rangers than S-10s, therefore the aftermarket caters to them more.
Pat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Pat »

I have never understood why Ford gets so much attention. Up until the last couple of years they have been undependable at best I have had 3 in the past and will never own one again. Even the bodies lack imagination the new F-150 is ugly to say the least, flat side panels a modified F-350 nose and a profile that lacks beauty. They boast engine and frame but if you can't stand to look at it who cares! The only reason they sell so many is because they are cheap when it comes to fleet pricing the majority of Ford trucks on the road are or once were fleet vehicles (or they just died there).
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I've owned quite a few Fords over the years. Only two were any good. I had a '62 Galaxie 4 door that ran great and was just a big old fun cruizin' machine (like a rolling living room that you could jam all kinds of friends in) and I had a '82 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 that I constantly beat the h*ll out of and it just refused to die. I finally sold the Capri to some kid who is still beating on it and it still refuses to die! All the rest of the Fords I've owned, including 2 Ranger 4x4's that I bought new, were total crap. Funny thing is, I've probably owned at least one of almost everything over the years. GMs, Fords, Chryslers and more foreign stuff than I care to remember. I always seem to come back to Chevy's. I finally decided to stay with them and quit messing with the other stuff.
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

adrenalnjunky wrote:I find that odd since the S-series has remained virtually unchanged since 84/85 when it was released, even with the 1st gen /2nd Gen changeover.
Actually the 1st S10's were in '82... I had one.. A lot of the typical parts houses (Pep Boys in Visalia, CA was a prime example) DIDNT show it as an S10 in the book, they always called it a "Chevy Luv".. but it was an S10.. even looked like an S10 :)

I keep getting 'lucky' (if you can call it that).. For a few years I drove a '90 CrewCab GMC 3500 Dually.. BUT it had the newer, rounded body style and single-piece headlights.. It drove the dealership NUTS.. all the parts books showed it should have been the squared nose older style with the dually.. BUT.. it was a Canadian built special ordered truck (original owner spec'ed it out to pull horses).. so It got the new body a year early.. :roll: Every time they tried to sell me something for that truck, they got it WRONG the first try if htey looked in the book and not out the window :poke:
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]