Roll Bar ????

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Pat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Roll Bar ????

Post by Pat »

I have been wondering what our trucks would look like with a roll bar. I just don't know how functional they would be or how it would look with the long cab and short bed. Has anyone else thought about it before or done it. Not that I would want to roll my truck it is almost to the point that it can't be replaced.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out Justin's truck

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I enjoy having the roll bar. It gives it a baja look. the only thing i don't like about it is how i had to mount it in the bed, thus i cannot carry 4x8 sheets of plywood. I bought a used one from an old datsun pickup for $30 at a garage sale. I chopped it up and spent around 22 strait hours cutting, welding, grinding and measuring how it would fit in. I know GM makes a chincy roll bar mounted to the top of the bed for $650. Whenever I have a chance, i will find a 4' piece of 3" pipe tapered to 2" on the other end. I will make that my bed rail then flow smooth into the roll bar. This will allow me to have full bedspace
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
TNC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TNC »

no offence but I wouldn't even attempt to carry a 4 X 8 sheet of anything :shock: :? :o ... in my CC it would hang out to far past the end of the tailgate... thats what trailors are for :wink: :wink:
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

TNC wrote:no offence but I wouldn't even attempt to carry a 4 X 8 sheet of anything :shock: :? :o ... in my CC it would hang out to far past the end of the tailgate... thats what trailors are for :wink: :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

you have no idea then. i will have to find some pics of my truck loaded down with lumber, i am sure you will get a kick out of them.

when i first got the truck, i hauled all sorts of 4x8 corregated roof stuff with loads of 2x4's x12's and (4) 4x4x14, it was a site :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

:lol: you think wood is alot? you should see when I have my ATV in the bed. The rear tires sit on the tailgat and the front tires sit up on top of the wheel wells. It doesnt even look like it in the bed. And then the rear sag :lol:
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
Pat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Pat »

Yeah it would lose alot of the bed. I had between 500 & 600 LBS of concrete in the back of mine one time. Its a strange ride down the freeway when it feels like the front wheels don't touch the ground. :shock:
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

i had a 900lb. jackhammer attatchment to a bobcat along with 15 gallons of diesel once..of course the tires were pushed well into the fenders but i still did 70 on the highway

it just sucks having a small truck in construction..but oh well.we have to make do :roll:
Pat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Pat »

The bed size is a negative on the truck but it has alot more possitives the cab room for one, gas mileage, finding parking and as I have seen most of you doing the short wheel base is good for rock crawling. I guess if I was still doing construction I would have an old beater also. Roofing and haulin ladders would not work well.[/quote]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pat wrote: Roofing and haulin ladders would not work well.
Where there's a will...there's always a way.

What about one of those "contractors" racks? Might be a good way to haul a duck boat too.

I haven't seen one on a S-CC yet, or maybe that lifted yellow one from the Pheonix area had one?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Pat »

HenryJ wrote:

What about one of those "contractors" racks? Might be a good way to haul a duck boat too.

I haven't seen one on a S-CC yet, or maybe that lifted yellow one from the Pheonix area had one?

I guess it would be O.K. but it would have to be tubular and resemble a roll bar and have some lights on it :P
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I guess it would be O.K. but it would have to be tubular and resemble a roll bar and have some lights on it

thats what I call a"ghetto construction truck". I have seen that on a dakota and the light are all messed up from boards hitting them
Pat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Pat »

Justin wrote:
I guess it would be O.K. but it would have to be tubular and resemble a roll bar and have some lights on it

thats what I call a"ghetto construction truck". I have seen that on a dakota and the light are all messed up from boards hitting them

If your in construction then you know what kind of nuts there are out there
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:

every small truck out here has one of those racks on them. i have never seen so many
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
TNC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TNC »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you have no idea then. i will have to find some pics of my truck loaded down with lumber, i am sure you will get a kick out of them.

when i first got the truck, i hauled all sorts of 4x8 corregated roof stuff with loads of 2x4's x12's and (4) 4x4x14, it was a site :lol:

:lol: :shock: :?

Yeah Unfortunatly I do I delivered a 29cu side by side frig and a dishwasher in my CC. Talk about a sight. the Frig was about six feet tall about 2 feet over the cab, and the dw was straped into the rest of the bed/tailgate. I think my truck still has a sag in it from that or maybe the toys, boat, motors, or other misc stuff I have caried back there...[/quote]
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I've only carried a washer and dryer in their original shipping boxes. I did just have about 16 12' long sections of baseboard in their last night and a rather large love seat once (I can't wait to try the couch...) and a fullsize futon sofa once and an extension ladder once...

I guess my theory is you can make anything fit if you have enough tiedowns... :D

I forgot...I also had a dining table for 8 in there, too...
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim