Rear diff - opinions and thoughts please...

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

dougg01
Crew
Crew

Rear diff - opinions and thoughts please...

Post by dougg01 »

So, I have a plan of putting the lock-right from my old S-10 in the rear of the Jimmy.

That's the cheapest/quickest route to traction.

Eventually I plan to get a 8.5 from a ZR2/Hi-rider/5-speed truck and put that in, but am not planning to spend that money right now. I'll be moving to 3.73s when I do that so a front diff will be purchased as well.

Anyway, I also have a GM 7.5 torsen I could put in there as well.

So....lock-right or torsen for a short-term LSD solution....? Why or why not...?

(I've had the lock-right as a DD before therefore I know about its 'handling characteristics')

Since I'm on 31" All-terrains I don't plan to going after big rock stuff or deep mud. Bunny trails for us. 8)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Rear diff - opinions and thoughts please...

Post by HenryJ »

Leave it alone and put your efforts toward the ZR2 8.5 swap.

I am not believer in the Powertrax Lock-right. I did have one long term in my daily driver. It tore up more than it should have. Offroad they are very nice. On the street in a daily driver, not so much. Getting used to the driving characteristics if fine, but there is more going on in there.

If you "must" the torsion is a better choice for a streeter and weekend bunny trail rig. Better yet. Leave it as is. Is it really in the need?
:2:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

It is. I think any vehicle without a LSD of some kind is basically worthless as it becomes either one-wheel or two-wheel-drive. That is fail.

The point is none of this is going to cost me a thing. I have a spare girdle, the torsen, fluid, gaskets, the lock-right, etc....sitting around. I'd take the auburn out of my f-bird and put in there, but the clutches are gone in it and that was a band-aid when I fragged its previous torsen.

I can't afford the 8.5 right now and if I bring BIG parts home right now I'll get in the dog house. Other projects need more attention, but I want to get on the trails. If I hadn't already ran into the two-wheel drive thing while roving on our property I wouldn't bother. I get this thing flexed some (with the bars disconnected) and it spins one on each end and forward progress stops. That's weak in my book.

What all did the lock-right tear up on yours...? You snap an axle or something...? I could see that if I got it in a bind on rocks or something like that.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is the street duty that beat it up. It works by teeth slipping over each other. On the asphalt that happens frequently. Just the action jarrs the drive train. That jarring took out the clutch springs. Wore them out very prematurely. I know we don't have a clutch, but what it that going to do to the transmission and driveshaft?
The teeth were beginning to pit. The springs that tension them failing. In a rig that sees less than 5000 miles per year you might be fine. On a daily driver, I don't think so.
It does hook up GREAT and really shines offroad. Never again for me though.
If it costs you nothing the torsen might be a good thing to try?
I guess if you are not worried about the damage done to the axle the "lock-wrong" might get you to the point of making the upgrade faster. I don't know what other might be damaged as well though. We already know that our transmissions need upgrading too, maybe that would do them both in? ;)

Remember , mine is only one opinion. Others with first hand experience may disagree.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

Hey....I'm not arguing....

The lock-right has lived well in the S-10 for over a decade..., but it is lighter (5,300lbs vs. 3,300lbs) and is 2wd. That said....it might not like the heavier Jimmy with a lot more weight over the rear and being put in a bind.

Maybe the torsen is the best bet in the short-term.... That way the S-10 stays intact and I'm only messing with loose parts (the diff with the torsen/girlde is sitting on the shop floor).

If I had some $$$$ laying around I'd get a truetrac and be done with it until the 8.5 is sourced and ready. With it being a DD and my need to keep it reliable I'll pause and contemplate caution advised by my elders. ;) I suppose if I'm not hitting radical trails (it is only on 31s) the torsen might live. This one has already held up to some 1.5 60fts and near 10s on a soft launch (before we put in the moser 12-bolt).
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Go with the Torsen. They are great on road, off road, and @ the track. I have a True-Trac in my 88 S10 4x4, and my 96 Impala SS, and couldn't be happier with the performance. My 05 ZR2 is next to get one since it still has one of those harsh Gov-Locs.

Steve