Dual exhaust vs single

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

kenfyoozed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dual exhaust vs single

Post by kenfyoozed »

I know some have said a 3" cat back with a free flowing muffler is the sweet spot for our trucks. But i was cruising ebay and saw some kits with duals with 2.25" pipes. What is the difference?

i know this sounds strange but i have never changed an exhaust on any of my vehicles, and i my lack of exhaust knowledge.

Just looking for performance gain if possible and for this thing to sound like a truck.

actually i think dual exhaist is misleading, i was looking at kit wiith 1 in and 2 out from the muffler.
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Re: Dual exhaust vs single

Post by michaelhrgn »

i have a single 3" in dual 2.5 out flowmaster and i get asked all the time how i did a v8 swap , but its just a stock 4.3 with a cold air intake and flowmaster muffler, hears a link you can kinda hear how it sounds in the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnI6TSTDOpE
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

Surface area = friction, but cross-section matters too.

This isn't intake flow, its heat and pressure.

There are a bunch of equations to figure it out, but for most of us the common recipe or what is known to 'work' is typically the best path to follow.

Size doesn't always equal flow and more isn't always better. The 4.3 isn't a high-winding fire-breathing monster. Put a 4" pipe on it and no muffler and it will fall on its face in stock form. Velocity is as or more important that volume on the exhaust side of things (depends on the application).
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

A single 2.5" exhaust system will make more power than a dual system because of the higher flow rate from retaining more heat, however most dual systems sound better so the question is, do you want the most power available or are you willing to drop a few hp for more of a V8 sound? Either option will increase power over stock!

Steve
kenfyoozed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kenfyoozed »

Actually i would like the best sound with the best perfromance.

Can I have my cake and icecream? :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kenfyoozed wrote:... a 3" cat back with a free flowing muffler is the sweet spot for our trucks...
Yup, and still do. The cat takes care of the back pressure anything after that just hinders performance. Tune the horn from there to your liking.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Ok I am definatly doing the same system as what is in the video there haha. Thats exactly the sound I am looking for in my truck. Did you install that yourself or was it a cat back kit you could by? I am looking for something I can just bolt on myself since lack of welding skills.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

took it down to my local exhast shop with a 3" dual 2.5 out orgianl 40s folwmaster and 120 bucks and 1 hour later it was done stock spare still fits , not that it helps me much lol
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Hahah Yea not with thouse giant mudders on there. Ill have to go pick up that muffler and bring it down to the shop and see what they can do. Id like to have pipes straight out the back like everyone in florida does. How are yours set up? Looks like they point down the sides similar to stock?
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

i like it coming out the sides of the bed like stock but on both sides, i never have been a fan of straight out the back looks to much like a car to me, iam going to mod my one day with the tips that go threw the bed sides one day for a little more clearince off road. if you think it sounds good now , its going to sound great once i hook up my l31 vortec to that muffler. :)
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

L31 vortec? Oh boy. Im happy with my 4.3 I have always had them in the S trucks and its good enough for my farting around. But then again this motor has 211k on it and still going strong. If it does fail one day maybe a swap will be in place but for now its to prove to my father my crap GM with TLC can last just as long as his F150.

As for the way yours is setup does look nice, since it does look stock and I like that. I probably should go that route since everyone has straight shooters who does dual exhaust. Probably gives it a better sound too since its bouncing off the street.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

lol my truck just hit 92000 the other day with a complet over haul @ 70,000 on gm( long story) but iam tired off only geting 14-15mpg with 4.56 gears and 35s, plus i have a 18foot car trailer i tow to the coast with 5 quads on it and i dont want to have to take 2 trucks , so i can play on the sand. and i have a 97 gmc 4x4(l31) geting 17 + with 33s so iam hopng a the lighter s10 with more power will get at least that.

i had a 2 door 4x4 s10 blazer on 31s with a tbi 350/5 speed that got 18-21 intown and 26 hyw and it had TONS OF POWER.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

hahahha I like that idea! Tons of power, 26mpg in a CC? Ill go for it. It will be on par with my GTI then which gets about 26-28 city and 30-32 on long highway trips @ 80mph. Then the S10 might have a fighting chance for me to try and figure out which car im going to drive.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

lol i dont know if i could ever get what i got in that blazer, in my cc but i would be VERY HAPPY with 17 in town ,maby if iam lucky 20 hwy :) but i will be happy with the v8s power when i hook up to a trailer no mater what mpg i get lol