Aftermarket tailpipe size

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

I'd go with a 3" out and run that all the way back. Bigger pipe = better breathing.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

WileyHunter wrote:I'd go with a 3" out and run that all the way back. Bigger pipe = better breathing.
Bigger is not always better. :wink:
Flowmaster recommends a 2-1/2" In/Out muffler for the late model s-series.
You should never have a tailpipe that is larger than the rest of the system. :wink:
The factory tailpipe is smaller than the rest of the system in order to keep exhaust gas velocity high which in turn makes more efiicient power.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I do think 3" single is the sweet spot for these engines. It is true that velocity can play a part in a tuned system, it is going to be tough to argue that for the tailpipe in our system , unless you go to the extremes. The cats and muffler are going to be the bottle necks far ahead of that making the performance decisions for the system. Longevity of the system may be a deciding factor too and size can make a difference there too as the pipe needs to be heated enough to burn out condensation. Your driving habits and environment play a part in that too.
Now don't forget the tone. The size and length of the pipe will affect the sound. That too will be a personal choice.
There is no easy answer to that is the "best". That may differ with all the considerations.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:I do think 3" single is the sweet spot for these engines.
I'm not looking for an arguement (seriously :wink: ), but I would stick with Flowmasters recomendation and use the 2-1/2" muffler.
3" is overkill for 262 cu engine.
Even their full size kits for V8's use 2-1/2" mufflers.
We can all give our opinions on which muffler to use, but it makes more sense to use what they recomend, especially since they have dynoed both sizes on a late model 4.3L equipped S10 and found the 2-1/2 muffler to be more efficient. :wink:

Steve