Pre-runner bar updates?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Pre-runner bar updates?

Post by Conman »

Did anyone get this bar finally from this place(post was at old forum)?

http://www.offroadinnovations.com

I got their catalog but no pics of an s10 with the bar. It appears these are all bolt on bars so it appears some drilling will be involved.

From what I gather from there website and catalog, there are two versions of the pre-runner bar.

Baja ChallengerÆ is with shorter horizontal bumper mount bar

Baja EliminatorÆ style utilizes a full-length bumper mount bar

The left are the challenger I think and the right truck is the Eliminator.

ImageImage

So I'm thinking the Challenger one will fit better because the s10 bumper is rounded at the end of the bumper. What do you think?

At 125bucks, does not seem too bad of a price. I'm going to email them and see how much drilling is involved. I'm going to ask what size lights can be mounted as well.

Cheers,

Con
Last edited by Conman on Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

havent seen my pics lately?

i have had a light bar since august, here is a pic :D

Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:havent seen my pics lately?

i have had a light bar since august, here is a pic :D

Yeah, I saw it. :D I remember some where that a ZR2 guy moded his to curve with the bumper, so that's why I'm interested in the one above.

Cheers,

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

hang on hear, are you saying that mine looks bad? :evil:

oh just get the fabtech universal mini truck light bar. it curvers with the truck, and yes you will drill on all of these light bars :D
Last edited by a2b on Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:hang on hear, are you saying that mine looks bad? :evil:

oh just get the fabtech universal mini truck light bar. it curvers with the truck, and yes you will drill on all of these light bars :D

LOL! ;)

the Fabtech is over 200bucks and I read somewhere else(maybe zr2.com) that it's not a perfect fit also. Since the other one is shorter, the bar won't stick out since it stops before the curve of the bumper. I'm probaby going to get it. Will let everyone know.

Cheers,

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

the fabtech is 125 bucks at 4wp and i think it looks better than mine and the other one posted at the top, JMO 8)
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:the fabtech is 125 bucks at 4wp and i think it looks better than mine and the other one posted at the top, JMO 8)

Do you have pics of it on an s10? The one on their site is a custom bar I'm told.

Thanks,

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

here you go, the only thing i dont like about it is, the ends of the pipe are open, mine are covered :D

[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

mine cost me $40 worth of materials and it is bolted to the frame, not the bumper... Sometimes I think i like to custom make stuff...makes it look unique

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/v ... _id=251351
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

40$, thats a great deal...would like to see better pics! and how did you make it?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

click on the 3rd page for closer pictures

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/v ... _id=251351

I basically went to Home depot, Bought 1.5" and 1.25" high pressure steel steam piping, went into my weld shop, cut and fit the pieces into a wooden made jig, welded all edges, capped the ends, made plates that bolted to the tow hooks. After all was made, i used bondo to smooth some of the corners, sanded, primed and then painted with bedliner material (same as the roll bar). I intend on painting all "tubular accessories" the color of the truck. I also plan on making some custom nerf bars with diamond plate tread surface.

The only problem with the prerunner bar is now that i have bought the body lift, I am going to have to add length to the bottom bars to even out the prerunner bar if I want to kep it bolted to the frame :? .. I also hope no one hits me or I hit anyone 8)
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

took me 11 hours to make the prerunner bar, 23 hours to make the roll bar
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Justing, that looks great!

have an idea, instead of makeing nurf bars, make sliders instead :D

[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Found what I want but don't know it will fit:

How much wider is a fullsize? It appears this one is for the 99 and below model. It's very similar to the ORI but has 4 light mounts and it curved in the middle slightly which matches the bend of the bumper. Do you think it's too long for the s10 bumper? It's onsale at Performance products for 99bucks so I'm very tempted to buy it. What do you think?

Cheers,

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

nope wont fit. the sull sizes are 7" wider than us. now you could always, take that one and weld the arms to make it shorter. i like the 4 lights too. i am going to put 4 on mine! 8)
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:nope wont fit. the sull sizes are 7" wider than us. now you could always, take that one and weld the arms to make it shorter. i like the 4 lights too. i am going to put 4 on mine! 8)

Yeah, that would make that bar a tad to wide then. I'm still tempted to buy it and getting the bars shorter. hmm.......

Cheers,

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

just wait till i get my welding equip. i am going to rip that flimbsy bumper off and sell the stupid wimpy light bar and fab my own pre runner bar with big skid plate. it will be sweet 8)
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

Yeah I'm probably going to do the same a2b....Now that I have installed the body lift, I am going to have to reweld extra pieces and I'm thinking of adding diamond plate as a skid plate... It should look good 8)
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Justin wrote:Yeah I'm probably going to do the same a2b....Now that I have installed the body lift, I am going to have to reweld extra pieces and I'm thinking of adding diamond plate as a skid plate... It should look good 8)

you arent thinking of replacing the front sheild you have now are you? what about the oil filter door?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Update,

I justed ordered the Off Road Inovations Baja Eliminator bar for the Crew. They make these custom fitted per vehicle which I was under the impression it was a universal bar. They even have them for Chevy LUV trucks! They state the bar curves with the bumper which is what I was worried about with the straight bars of Procomp. I talked to them today and was very pleased with their attitute and they answered all my questions. BTW, here is the part numbers for the crew(I guess all s10 98 and up including both base and LS chrome bumpers. I think they said this bolts to ZR2 too.):

51-1002 for the Challenger bar(shorter bottom bar).

53-1002 for the Eliminator bar(longer one similar to the pro-comps).

These are "bolt-on" bars as I'm told but minor drilling still. On the LS bumpers, it uses a few of the existing holes so some plastic triming is required but they state it still bolts up. BTW, they are offering just light hoops(simlar to Procomps new one) again(they said they had them a long time ago and now they are coming back in style again).

The bar is in stock so hopefully I'll have it this weekend as I got a friend helping me with the rest of my Trooper lift so I hope to get it installed this weekend. Will let everyone know.

Cheers,

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

well let us know how it goes!!! doesnt the zr5 have the same bumper as the zr2? i like the zr2 bumer way better!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:well let us know how it goes!!! doesnt the zr5 have the same bumper as the zr2? i like the zr2 bumer way better!

From what it looks like, the Base, ZR5 and ZR2 all use the same bumper. I think someone here said the Chrome LS bumpers are not available anymore on the 2003s and they are all the Base bumpers, just painted to body color. Will let you know.

Cheers,

Con
SlickDaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SlickDaddy »

I have the ZR5 and I dont know that you would even call it a bumper. I had an extended cab s10 4x4 before this one, and it had the painted front bumper and it was actually a bumper (I know cause I dented it). I took the bumper off my ZR5 a week ago, and its just a piece of plastic. I was pretty disappointed, I dont think its sturdy enough to mount anything to.
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

there should be 1/4" steel behind the plastic bumper...I think it is just for show...I mean they are designed to crumble upon front impact so i wouldnt expect anything too strong....allthough I think GM was stupid for placing the airbag sensor behind the front of the frame (mainly stupid for normal drivers but good for guys who beat on their trucks)
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

SlickDaddy wrote:I have the ZR5 and I dont know that you would even call it a bumper. I had an extended cab s10 4x4 before this one, and it had the painted front bumper and it was actually a bumper (I know cause I dented it). I took the bumper off my ZR5 a week ago, and its just a piece of plastic. I was pretty disappointed, I dont think its sturdy enough to mount anything to.

I noticed that too that the GMC bumpers are plastic. The Chevy s10 is metal, but not very think probably anyway. the bottom part is plastic though.

Cheers,

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

I received my ORI bar the other day. very nice weld and a thick paint too! I'll hope it will stop raining so I can take it out to mock it up on the crew. I hope to install it next weekend.

Cheers,

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Conman wrote:I received my ORI bar the other day. very nice weld and a thick paint too! I'll hope it will stop raining so I can take it out to mock it up on the crew. I hope to install it next weekend.

Cheers,

Con

yes, we want to see pics as soon as possible :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:
Conman wrote:I received my ORI bar the other day. very nice weld and a thick paint too! I'll hope it will stop raining so I can take it out to mock it up on the crew. I hope to install it next weekend.

Cheers,

Con

yes, we want to see pics as soon as possible :D

It rained but I quickly mocked it up still to see how it fits. The invoice said it's for a 94-01 models so that kind of worried me cause the 94 bumper is similar, but not the same. So I put it in front and it will fit, but it appears I might have to trim the grill "lip" a little because of the lip above the fender as the two brace bars need to mount there. I bet this was designed on a 94 as they don't have a lip in the grill. It will still look good, but more work than I wanted.

I'll take pics of the bar for you guys to see later tonight. I'm not sure I'm going to have time to mount it this weekend as I'm taking my Trooper in for bigger tires and I have to finish shopping for the holidays as well.

Cheers,

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

ORI Pre-Runner Light Bar

Made the long addy a link-HJ

Pic as promised. The bottom bar is in a V and there are two light tabs on that bar. I'm going to ask a friend of mine to help me install it(along with the Lund bug guard still), in two weeks so look for install pics then....

Cheers,

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

so where is the install pic??????????????????????????????????
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:so where is the install pic??????????????????????????????????

It's not two weeks yet! ;) I've been so busy with the new baby, work, and fixing up my Mom's house, I've had no time for the trucks. :( I still have the Clear Corners, taillights, bugguard, and the rest of my carphone kit in boxes, let alone installing the pre-runner bar. :oops: I didn't even put xmas lights up outside this year! This is my first weekend I have sometime to myself so I'm going to try to mount some of the stuff. If my buddy is still free, we are going to tackle the pre-runner bar first since I will need a buddy to hold it while we drill and cut.

I looked at a couple of 94-97 s10s and it appears it will fit perfectly without any plastic trimming. The 98 and up it will fit, but since we have that lip on the grill plastic, some trimming will be needed of that. BTW, how hard is it to remove that grill? Don't know if I have to but it might make it easy to install the pre-runner bar. Or for that matter, is the bumper easy to take off?

Cheers,

Con
SlickDaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Push Bar for Sonoma ZR5s

Post by SlickDaddy »

Well I finally found one that matches the brushed aluminum sidesteps and bedrails. I ordered it from MAAP and it will take about 3 weeks. I get some pics once its installed.
SlickDaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Push Guard from MAAP

Post by SlickDaddy »

Here is the general idea of the one Im getting. The differences are the ones for our trucks are a bit smaller, it doesnt have the brushguards, and the crossbars are stainless steel instead of black. Hopefully it matches up with all the ZR5 stuff already on my truck.

http://www.maapautomotive.com/2002/euro ... nwtext.jpg
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

was going through some old pics and found this pic of my old 89 S-10. I had a smitty-bilt prerunner bar on front and rear, wander if it would fit on our style trucks. cost around 125 back in 93 or 94 when i put it on and it had end caps. don't know if they still make them or not.

Picture

sorry about the size forgot to size it when I scanned it

Made it a link-HJ
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

hey thats a great looking truck!

looks like a keeper.

dont know if that bar works. i mean they all are pretty easy. its just a couple of bolts.

and conman???? its been 2 months! did you get the bar on?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:hey thats a great looking truck!

looks like a keeper.

dont know if that bar works. i mean they all are pretty easy. its just a couple of bolts.

Yeah yeah, it's very very cold outside....... That's all I have to say! ;)

Cheers,

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Conman wrote:
a2b wrote:hey thats a great looking truck!

looks like a keeper.

Yeah yeah, it's very very cold outside....... That's all I have to say! ;)

Cheers,

Con

come on, just yesterday i took my bumper off and hitch and cleaned my air filter and modified my bug shield and cleaned my bed out. i was outside like for 3 hours. its not cold :P
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Know how conman feels only got up to 7 degrees today here in indy. Yes it should have been a keeper traded it in 3 trucks ago back in 95, wish I had it back. :cry:
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

24digger wrote:Know how conman feels only got up to 7 degrees today here in indy. Yes it should have been a keeper traded it in 3 trucks ago back in 95, wish I had it back. :cry:

very nice. Really red too.

Yeah, way to cold. I have so many projects, it's not even funny. I even have half a lift done on the Trooper as well. :shock: Still goto finish installing the rear shocks. My buddy is going to heat his two car garage so I'm there when it's done to finish the mods.

Cheers,

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

OK. It's still in the box but since a ZR2 guy put it on, this is what it will look like:

More pics here

http://forum.zr2.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb ... 3;t=001925

I was kind of worried on how to mount it but since he did it, I see how it goes. I'm going to try to get some mods done this weekend.

Later,

Con