Locking Gas Fill Door.

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Locking Gas Fill Door.

Post by Snotick »

Has anyone modded their CC to make the fuel door lock. Where you need to push or pull some type of release from inside the cab to open the fuel door. With the rising cost of gas, and the fact that my gas cap was oddly loose on my CC, (caused a SES light) I am thinking about alternatives to just the plain old locking gas cap.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Make one thats universal. Patend it and market it and retire.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
brandons4door
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by brandons4door »

I've seen universal locking caps.
http://www.stant.com/
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I was talking about locking the fuel door, not just the gas cap. I think there are two types. I am assuming that it simply works via a release cable, the adding of the cable would be simple. My concern is with modding the catch at the fuel door.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Snotick wrote:I was talking about locking the fuel door, not just the gas cap.
I too like that idea but not to throw cold water on ya if they want it bad enough they'll get it. :( All a locking cover requires is a bar or large screwdriver and they're in. Trust me, I know. This happened not long ago on one of my cars. :x The sob's did more body damage than fuel loss cost! :x
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

and once you're finished fabricating and installing a locking fuel door, what's to stop someone from jabbing a screw driver through the bottom of your tank or slicing your fuel line and draining your gas out into a bucket?

one, two, three, four

with the popularity of remote release and locking fuel doors, I wonder if gas thieves even bother trying the cap before making their own hole.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
sonomaextcab

Post by sonomaextcab »

I have a locking gas cab. I had a locking fuel door that open via cable on a old grandam. When it was snowing and icing you had better hoped that you had a full tank of fuel. I t would not open.
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

You know we're just a few more nickels away from syphon thieves coming out of the woodwork. I was just thinking of a way to prevent it. I think I will I'll just sell my truck and buy a crappy bicycle. No one would want to steal an old 10 speed.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Snotick wrote:I think I will I'll just sell my truck and buy a crappy bicycle. No one would want to steal an old 10 speed.
Ya got that one right! :lol: No thief wants to work that hard. That's why they steal in the first place. :roll:
You live in Omaha? I used to live in Springfield just south of there.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I see you made an upgrade to a warmer climate (and probably less taxes too) LOL
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Snotick wrote:I see you made an upgrade to a warmer climate (and probably less taxes too) LOL
Yes on both counts but not for the reasons you think. I work as a rural carrier and the job opening for full-time was here. The rest as they say is history. Fortunately I have been blessed with an understanding wife who was willing to move to my job upon it's fruition. :) 8)
brandons4door
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by brandons4door »

brandons4door wrote:I've seen universal locking caps.
http://www.stant.com/
Snotick wrote:I was talking about locking the fuel door
sorry fella, i'm a slow reader and a slower thinker :oops:

Fixed the quotes for ya. :) -W
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

roadrunner wrote: I work as a rural carrier and the job opening for full-time was here. 8)
My wife has been a rural mail carrier here in Omaha for 25 years.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Solution:
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Snotick wrote:My wife has been a rural mail carrier here in Omaha for 25 years.
No kidding! I worked out of Boys Town, Stony Ridge, Council Bluffs, Valley, Bennington, and Waterloo as a sub while living there. Small world.
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

green02crew wrote:Solution:
that would work, but it appears to be lincoln model. I was looking for one for the CC.

roadrunner. My wife started at boystown, before the new post office was built, her mom and step dad are rural carriers, back then the regulars were able to hire their own subs. So my wife and sister in law got the job. When the new NW post office was built they moved a bunch of routes to there. I even spent a year working as a sub in 1995, until my daughter was born.
now my wife is at the florence station.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

It is on a Lincoln but its just a door lock bolted on. I found it on collegehumor.com some kids thought it was funny.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I was just joking about it being the wrong model.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

ohh man its hard to tell sarcasm online...
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

green02crew wrote:ohh man its hard to tell sarcasm online...
Ya gotta look real hard at the way the letters look. :lol:
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

StylinTrucks sells these for a good price varying from $95 to $130 depending on the finish and color and type of bed either fleetside or stepside.
[size=75]Guitar831[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Guitar831 wrote:
StylinTrucks sells these for a good price varying from $95 to $130 depending on the finish and color and type of bed either fleetside or stepside.
Neither of which will work for our trucks as we have the Isuzu fender bulge. Our gas fill door is not flat.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Barch makes a good point. Most security measures are a deterant. They take the temptation of an easy steal away, by making the would be thief work a bit harder (locking gas cap, rolled up windows, locked doors, etc...). In some cases it works, but against a determined person, probably not.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...