Mileage , Timing and what to do next

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:You have little if any control over the timing on your truck. The PCM controls ignition timing.
"all in by 2500" refers to the point where all the available advance is achieved.

That is where the brain of our truck is an improvement. It can make adjustments on the fly.

What control do you have over this type system?
Not much. You can change fuels to help eliminate detonation and the resulting timing retard. You can reprogram the PCM by flashing the chip with a programmer.

What is the "right" thing to do? Maybe nothing. Do you have a problem? Is there another way to fix it without altering the timing?
Remember to keep it simple. The most complicated answer is not usually the best.
I realize now my question wasn't specific enough. What I was asking about "all in" was if you had a 4.3 like me in an 01 if you had a specific total advance in mind? I fully understand the older models with their mechanical, initial, and vaccuum advance systems as I have worked on too many of them to try to count. My truck never pings no matter what I do or how I drive it. Yes, I had reflashing the pcm in mind and perhaps also adding a digital O2 sensor so the optimal air/fuel ratio can vary over a wider range in concert with the reflash.
The problem? Less than acceptable performance and fuel economy.
Solutions tried thus far: new plugs, new filters (all of them also tried k&n air filter with no change), oil change and reduction in viscosity index from 10w30 to 5w30. new O2 sensors, blocking air injection pipes to verify no exces O2 leaking into exhaust throwing sensor readings to the rich side, new plug wires, new dist cap and rotor, egr limiter, verification tranny and overdrive and lockup operating properly, analyzer checkup of system to verify proper voltage outputs from coil etc and operation of all electrical systems analyzer can test, and cleaner run through fuel system to insure proper operation along with pressure and performance tests on fuel system. Cooling system temp consistent at 190-200 degrees except on pull in heavy mud then will go to 240-260 degrees. Transmission has large external auxillary cooler (17,500 gvw) and runs steady 190 degrees or less all conditions. Still has stock clutch fan on engine working okay.
To date the only thing which has made any significant difference was the replacement of the air check valves on the air pump system just ahead of the exhaust manifolds. This improved mileage from barely maximum of 14mpg to 16mpg. A far cry from the 20-21mpg I used to get. This mileage decline and noticable performance decline has occurred over the past 20k miles. The truck had 60k when I bought it and now has 83k. I also tried running premium regular with no noticeable improvement in performance and not enough improvement in mileage to pay for the difference in price. Tried gasohol too with too much loss in performance and mileage to be viable either. Even tried running tires all the way from 35psi up to 60psi with very little if any change in economy or performance. Brakes are near new and not dragging and emergency brake is new and also not dragging. No noticeable rolling resistance in excess of normal in neutral coast either. No topper or tonneau cover before or after just basic truck with nerf bars. Mileage and performance drop are primary concern and repair goal.
I know this is wordy but I wanted you to see I'm not just shooting in the dark or trying to outguess the system. I'm just struggling with what to do next. I also tried to be technically complete here so you might get a better idea or think of a better suggestion. I have previous professional dealership mechanic experience (16yrs) but no longer have my master-technician certification as I have been out of that business too long. Just more background and not bragging. Any suggestions you could make would be appreciated and seriously considered. Thanks
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Split the topic as we are headed way off that one.

There are way too many variables to be able to help you with your mileage woes.

I am sure you have considered many of the problems that might contribute. We can add a list a mile long.
I'll add a couple I don't see listed. How about a differences in tire size contributing to differences in mileage.
Gasoline formulations.
Reduced efficiency of the cats.
Weather conditions.
Wheel, axle or differential bearing failures.
Transmission slippage.

I am sure others can add to the list.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote: How about a differences in tire size contributing to differences in mileage.
Gasoline formulations.
Reduced efficiency of the cats.
Weather conditions.
Wheel, axle or differential bearing failures.
Transmission slippage.

I am sure others can add to the list.
Same tires same size. Gasoline all bought locally at same stations with little if any detectable performance/mileage variations testing over greater than 12 month period except the usual allowable super cold/hot ambient air temps due to seasonal change. Cats checked for flow and restrictions (okay) no codes from downstream O2 sensor. No gas analyzer available anywhere nearby to verify tailpipe emissions. Weather conditions other than heavy mud/snow allowed for with no appreciable changes (has dropped to as low as 7mpg in heavy mud roads). All driving on gravel/dirt/paved roads. Same roads driven same direction same turns same stops and turn arounds daily (mail route). Maximum mileage figured under same conditions for comparisons on all paved roads to/from same destination. No noticeable resistance in rear axles on jack stands rotating wheels by hand. Axles pulled and bearings verified good in differential and wheels. Both front hub bearings replaced less than 2k miles ago (started making humming noises). Transmission rebuilt less than 6k miles ago (got stuck in unplowed road and got stupid not stopping soon enough cost me 2300 bucks).
Not sure where you're going with cat efficiency other than flow since secondary sensor throws no codes and exhaust is through engine by then so can't see where it would affect mileage or performance as long as secondary sensor reads normal.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine never did throw a code when my precat plugged IIRC.

That IS where I was going with the whole "efficiency thing".

Mine got a little over 20 mpg once. That was a long time ago. I am satisfied to maintain "seventeen point sumtin" lately.

Fuel formulations change even if you fill at the same station. Winter grades are different than summer. I am sure you know that. You already mentioned trying a different grade.

Tire sizes do vary during their life. I would hope they are not enough to skew your mileage readings. A speedometer check would rule that out.

Your mileage has decreased in the last 20k miles and you post that you have been fixing lots of stuff. Ignition parts, brakes, bearings, transmission, seals, etc.

maybe it is time to stop fixing things! It is getting worse! :lol:

Sorry I don't have an answer maybe someone else can work some magic here.
Be sure to let us know if you find something.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote: A speedometer check would rule that out.

Your mileage has decreased in the last 20k miles and you post that you have been fixing lots of stuff. Ignition parts, brakes, bearings, transmission, seals, etc.

maybe it is time to stop fixing things! It is getting worse! :lol:

Sorry I don't have an answer maybe someone else can work some magic here.
Be sure to let us know if you find something.
Speedo verified using mile markers on 2 lane and interstate over 25 mile plus route of travel. I'm not a perennial fixer I firmly believe in if it ain't broke don't fix it. Only reason I've been doing all these things is when the mpg dropped so low and gas so high economics demanded I try something. It HAS gotten better (16 vs 14 maximum) so I don't think I've "hurt" anything. Just haven't found that magic cause yet. I do appreciate your help and advice and perhaps someone else might have some other ideas. Thanks again and I'll let everyone know if I find anything significant in the near future.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, it makes you feel any better, I'd kill for 14 mpg :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

f9k9 wrote:If, it makes you feel any better, I'd kill for 14 mpg :wink:
Not really, but I appreciate the emotional support and you have my sympathies with the current gas prices! :(
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

I never could understand why the 4.3 gets such bad mileage. A v6 should always get better MPG than a v8 under normal conditions. My fullsize crew cab silverado with a 5.3L V8 and 4.10 gears can get 18-19 on the highway (60 mph) and around 16 on the freeway (72 mph).

Heavier truck, bigger engine, lower gears and I still get the same mileage that i did with my crew cab sonoma (before lift and tires).
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The 90 degree V-6 is an awkward engine. It is not a balanced configuration speaking in terms of design. Attempts have been made to help it out such as firing sequences and balance shafts. It is just not one of those that "clicks"
I am sure an engineer could better describe why six cylinders in this configuration is less efficient than eight. I can not.
I do not think it is a bad engine. It is sturdy. It does not do badly for the size. It could just be a little better. I think we are getting all we can from this engine. Window sticker mileages were 15 city and 19 highway. I usually hit between those marks even with all the modifications I have made.

Back on track.

Where would I go from here if I had your mileage drop and I needed to find an answer. Convinced it is an engine problem, I would probably triple check all the tune up stuff, plugs cap, rotor, coil, MAFS, fuel pump and filters.
Then knowing what I do about the precat, and not knowing how you tested it, I would probably break out the reciprocal saw and cut the pipe to take a look. This will show both the precat and cat conditions. Closing in on 90k there could be some issues. If visual inspections of the emissions system are not an issue, that precat would disappear to the round file.
I would take the time to run a free flowing catback system if you have not. It is a good bang for the buck. That could be done at the same time as the pipe replacement for the precat. It is a shame to get rid of the stock SS exhaust, but check out the pictures of the tiny holes in the stock muffler baffle. There is a reason it is quiet. A free flowing muffler is a huge improvement.
I may be way off track here, but I am grasping at straws trying to find a direction to look.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:The 90 degree V-6 is an awkward engine. It is not a balanced configuration speaking in terms of design. Attempts have been made to help it out such as firing sequences and balance shafts. It is just not one of those that "clicks"
I do not think it is a bad engine. It is sturdy. It does not do badly for the size. It could just be a little better. I think we are getting all we can from this engine. Window sticker mileages were 15 city and 19 highway.

Back on track:

Where would I go from here if I had your mileage drop and I needed to find an answer. Convinced it is an engine problem, I would probably triple check all the tune up stuff, plugs cap, rotor, coil, MAFS, fuel pump and filters.
Then knowing what I do about the precat, and not knowing how you tested it, I would probably break out the reciprocal saw and cut the pipe to take a look. This will show both the precat and cat conditions. Closing in on 90k there could be some issues. If visual inspections of the emissions system are not an issue, that precat would disappear to the round file.

I would take the time to run a free flowing catback system if you have not. It is a good bang for the buck. That could be done at the same time as the pipe replacement for the precat. It is a shame to get rid of the stock SS exhaust, but check out the pictures of the tiny holes in the stock muffler baffle. There is a reason it is quiet. A free flowing muffler is a huge improvement.

I may be way off track here, but I am grasping at straws trying to find a direction to look.
Given what you've just said about the 4.3, I (not being a born and raised on GM products individual) have been given to understand by friends of mine ,who have more knowledge and history of GM products than I, that the 4.3 is the same engine as the 3.8 just more cc's. If not ,please correct me. If so, why is the 3.8 so much more economical?

Done! More than triple checked mostly out of frustration not doubt.

Will vanishment of the precat have any impact on ses light visa-vie the third O2 sensor? Will it have possible negative impact on fuel meter rates at the pcm due to changed value inputs?

I still have the OEM original exhaust from front to back on the truck. One of the reasons I've been hesitant to alter it is as you mention it is SS the other is $$$. I've been on a rather restrictive budget for a while now with little hope of letup in the near term. I agree on the muffler issue completely. I used to install mufflers called "sonic turbo" they were a 93+% free flow with a unique parabolic bi-directional sound deadener. Really odd to listen to. Idle noise was deep tone and if you stood next to vehicle and talked while it idled it made your voice sound like you were talking into a window fan. Upon acceleration sound gradually faded to just a whooshing of air out tail pipe. Don't think they're available anymore. This same $$$ issue is also preventing/delaying my throttle plate and air raid spacer mods. I'm also saving up for those bilsteins as they are badly needed.

I appreciate your suggestions and the difficulty in hypothesising solutions given the nature and amount of information available to you. I'm getting about ready to attack the exhaust with the reciprocal but I admit it sure makes me wince. I'd kinda like to put full duals on the truck but don't have access to a bender or bend shop that'd be willing to do it for me (fears of fines and jail for alterations) and haven't noticed any full dual kits available anywhere. I had in mind running ex-manifold outlet size full back with pipes running paralell on pass side of truck and turbo mufflers side by side with tandem outlet where stock is currently. Figured there's too many obstacles on drivers side to work as easily.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Just out of curiosity and slightly related... The Malibu v6 gets amazing gas mileage and good hp. Is there a reason these aren't put into the Colorado?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

green02crew wrote:Just out of curiosity and slightly related... The Malibu v6 gets amazing gas mileage and good hp. Is there a reason these aren't put into the Colorado?
Not being a bit GM guru, what size v-6 is this? :?:
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

3.6L DOHC V6 with 252hp. We have one and the gas mileage is 32-34mpg depending on if the winter tires or summer tires are on it.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Given what you've just said about the 4.3, I (not being a born and raised on GM products individual) have been given to understand by friends of mine ,who have more knowledge and history of GM products than I, that the 4.3 is the same engine as the 3.8 just more cc's. If not ,please correct me. If so, why is the 3.8 so much more economical?
Isn't the 3.8L in the 2.8L, 3.1L, 3.4L 60 degree V-6 engine family? I don't think any of them have the torque needed to do the job well in a 5000lb rig. (loaded)
Will vanishment of the precat have any impact on ses light visa-vie the third O2 sensor? Will it have possible negative impact on fuel meter rates at the pcm due to changed value inputs?
No. Mine has been gone for years now. Check the "Precat" (search precat) thread.
still have the OEM original exhaust from front to back on the truck. One of the reasons I've been hesitant to alter it is as you mention it is SS the other is $$$. I've been on a rather restrictive budget for a while now with little hope of letup in the near term. I agree on the muffler issue completely. I used to install mufflers called "sonic turbo" they were a 93+% free flow with a unique parabolic bi-directional sound deadener. Really odd to listen to. Idle noise was deep tone and if you stood next to vehicle and talked while it idled it made your voice sound like you were talking into a window fan. Upon acceleration sound gradually faded to just a whooshing of air out tail pipe. Don't think they're available anymore.
Maybe just cut out the stock muffler and clamp a new one in. That could be done for $40 (best guess). Might be worth bumping to the top of the want list.
...about ready to attack the exhaust with the reciprocal but I admit it sure makes me wince.
It did me too. What a shame to cut up a SS exhaust system :( I got over it though.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Thanks for the correction. I don't know why but most 60 degree design engines (regardless of mfr) do seem to be more fuel efficient than 90 degree designs. I will revisit the Precat thread thanks.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I believe the newer v6 designs are much more efficient. The one in the Malibu puts out 1lb more torque than our v6. Rated off of the Pontiac website since the same engine is used in the sportier G6. This engine IMO is one of the best v6's GM has put out. They are long lasting and great economy without sacrificing power. They do have a 6 speed auto matched with it giving it better fuel economy. I'm sure if it was geared for a truck it wouldn't be as efficient but not nearly as bad as ours.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Some of the older v-6's are pretty efficient and durable too. I've got two Buick 3.8's. One has 295k (1990) the other has 155k (1998) and both are snappy and torque is good with excellent mileage. I've always felt they would work well in the CC. JMO.
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

just to help clear things up, the 3.8L (3800) v6 is a 90 deg. engine, and is a completely different design (Buick) than the 4.3L Chevy.
other than the oil filter, they share no common parts...

the 2.8. 3.1, 3100, 3.4, 3400, and now the 3500 and 3900 v6`s are
Chevy designed 60 deg. engines.

the 3500 and 3900 are slightly "modified" versions of the earlier 60 deg.designs, with a slight (3mm) bore offset in the block, to mke room for the bigger 3.9" bore of these engines.

also, in the early 80`s, Chevy also built a 3.8L (229 ci) 90 deg. v6, that was the predecessor to the 4.3, and again, it shares no common parts with the 3.8L/3800 (231 ci) Buick designed v6`s...
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Interesting. Always good to get history on engine designs. Thanx :) Not to belabor a question but can you tell me the difference between the early middle and late design 3.8 buicks other than the obvious plastic intake manifolds? :?:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Short update: wait4me computer installed. (trying to solve a driveability problem) Partial success. Shifts more normal. Pre-cat attacked with reciprocating saw. :eat: HUGE improvement in driveability!!! Shifts went from better to INCREDIBLE!! :woohoo: Initial mileage check (20 miles unrepaired state balance of 250 mixture of interstate and short drives with some "gearheading" included. (trying out newfound performance) =17.46mpg. :nana: :rock: :woohoo: More updates to follow as data accumulates and additional mods are done.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

05/01/08: Just finished off a full tank of fuel with 10 miles in-town stop and go and balance interstate @75mph on cruise. 18.5mpg. :thumb: The higher the mpg's go the wider my smile gets. :D
Next up: throttle blade and throttle body spacer.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Update: 5/22/08 Round trip to Denver. Mpg going w/one person 19.4 returning 19.9 w/3 people and luggage. All at limit plus 5 mph. Elevation difference here to Denver = a little more than +2000 ft avg temp was 82F some cross-winds humidity 65-75%. Will be making same trip next week and have addtl. figures to post.
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Baltimore to Phila and back via Eastern Shore in Delaware. 277miles on tank (The damned Low fuel light lit 30 miles from home) so I put 12.4 gals in it(Damned fuel sender). 22.33mpg.

Stayed @ Speed limit and feathered getting up to speed, then kicked in cruise. Speed limit 65.

Averaging 15.5-16 around town 50/50. I just put in a vacuum gauge(mounted on A pillar) and relearning how to accelerate calmly and staying above 13" hg vacuum. Keeping the vacuum above 15" as much as possible will help too. The higher the vacuum while maintaining a speed, the higher the gas mileage.....BUT only to a point. The higher the speed the more power needed to drive this brick through the air. Gonna have to graph it out sometime.

Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Update 5/27/08: Round trip to Denver again today driving sensibly at posted limits temps varied from 48F to 58f humidity low 80%s. Going 20.5 returning 21.75mpg. Some crosswinds going very light returning. Also of note running 87 octane going and 85 octane returning. Perhaps better stated as a mixture of on return trip as truck was not empty when filled for return trip. More experiments and data to follow. Will take time so patience is required.