Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Jet SHIFT PLUS Install

Post by Torskdoc »

Tools:
Flat Head Screwdriver
5/16 box open.
9/32 Socket with Ratchet or Speed handle.
Wire Crimper or Pliers.
Tape.

SPECS:
2002 S-10 CC 4.3L, 4L60E, 3.42 G-80. 43,000 miles. Airbox mod, IAT mod. Otherwise STOCK.

This installation is just a guide. I WILL NOT be held responsible for improper installation and or damage to your vehicle. Follow the manufacturer's guide and make your own modifications to suit your taste.
I did it this way as it's mainly temporary until it gets warmer and I get the servo's and other parts. Then it'll get installed inside.

Got the Jet vs. the B&M due to 4 vs 2 settings and the housing is more in line with what i want. B&M just looked cheesy, the switch felt cheap, and the fact that on a 98 & up you have to shut down to change is not a plus.

Cost was $114.& change from Summit. $4 more @ Jegs. and a whole lot more @ JET.

This unit is temporary until I can get the Billet intermediate and Overdrive Servo's, boost valve and 1870 valve from PATC. I installed it a bit different from what the installation manual says but I got the same result.

1.) The clearance between the Trans and the body is a bit close and room to make splices is limited not to mention if you're not really careful you can end up burning the wiring through, so I decided to make the install completely on top.

2.) Jet has a diagram of the transmission control lines connector and specifies that the unit splices get made to lines "C" & "D" on the plug. Colors vary. Mine were Blue/Wht and Red/Blk. HOWEVER, and this is where the CHANGE IS. These lines travel directly up to the PCM and connect on PLUG 2 Connectors 6 & 8. turns out they were the same color although Jet says that some vehicles wires will vary. I wonder how many they've actually changed.

3.) Disconnect the Battery. 5/16 Box/open

4.) Disconnect the PCM from it's mount and remove the lower (RED) main connector. Screwdriver and 9/32 Socket

5.)Remove the GRAY Wire cover.

6.) Remove Wrapping tape back far enough to break out the two wires needed (No's 6 & 8 ).

7.) Using Scotch Wire connectors Crimp one of the leads from the Jet plus to one of the leads from the PCM. Doesn't matter which to which.

8.) Crimp the other lead from the jet to the remaining lead from the PCM.

9.) Tape wire bundle to cover.

10.) replace Gray cover on RED connector

11.) Re-connect Red connector to PCM.

12.) Install PCM to Mount.

13.) Using Velcro from kit, attach JET box to top of PCM (see pic).

14.) Turn knob on JET to POSITION 1 (all the way to the left).

15.) Crimp a ring connector to the black wire and attach to a handy GROUND with shiny metal showing.

16.) Crimp a blade connector from the kit to the RED WIRE and using one of the Fuse blades, find a fuse in the Underhood box that is "KEYED"....ie: one that is on and off via the key. Remove the fuse and determine which side is cold and attach the blade to the cold side. Install fuse and connect RED Wire.

Zip tie wires to looms to keep from getting hung up on rotating parts, or burned on hot parts.

17.) Connect battery.

18.) Test Drive.

POSITION #1 STOCK. NO CHANGE NOTED either @ part or Full throttle.

POS #2 What they call Stage 1. Shift's are moderately tighter than position 1 specifically in WOT. Slight improvement in PT shift quality.

POS #3 What they call Stage 2. Shift's in WOT are noticeable but NOT HARSH. Shift quality feels more like a THM 400 with an RV KIT. PT Shift quality is definitely noticeable.

POS #4 What they call Race Stage. HAVE NOT tested.

I did not notice any change in shift points.

I've used B&M's version in the past and wasn't quite satisfied with the results. This unit gives a wider range of change/choices, the workmanship is better, and for the newer than 98's you DO NOT have to shut down to change modes. The price is a bit more than double. Whether it's worth the difference is up to you. More choices is worth it to me.

So far so good.

Larry

2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nice! :thumb: You don't know HTML do you? :wink:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Who's HTML???

jk. No not really, Know just enough to be dangerous, why do you ask????
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'll likely make it into a mod page for the website :mg: Any chance you could email me the photos so I don't have the cardomain logo issue?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Can do. Sometime later today.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is up. Thanks for the page!

JET Shift Plus Electronic Shift Improver

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Nice Job :thumb:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote:Nice Job :thumb:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Do you think the " Disconnect Battery " step should maybe remind those with stereo lock-out feature to FIRST TURN OFF THE LOCK-OUT ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am sure we can go through and add steps to any of the pages. With all these mod pages you need to know a little bit about what you are doing. I guess the assumption is that you know some of the steps required already.
The disclaimer is on the main page. "This site is not responsible any modifications made to a reader's
truck. Modify at your own risk. This site is for recreational use only."

I would hope that most will thoroughly research any modification and never take one source as good enough.

Just curious, How many have activated the theftloc on their system? The security system is active on my truck, but the theftloc is not.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...............Just curious, How many have activated the theftloc on their system? The security system is active on my truck, but the theftloc is not.
Mine is not. I unhook or disconnect my battery way to often to fool with it. I learned my lesson on my '97 not to activate it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

The first thing I did was ditch the stock stereo so I've never even encountered it.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

How do you know if your theft lock is active ??
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

green02crew wrote:The first thing I did was ditch the stock stereo so I've never even encountered it.
Did you toss or sell your old stereo? Was it a cd/cassette am fm? If so pm me with a pic if you have one. I might be interested in buying it from you if it all still works okay. thanks
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Horsehammerr wrote:How do you know if your theft lock is active ??
Owners manual wrote: The LED indicator by the volume control will begin flashing when the ignition is turned off.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Sorry I know this should go into another thread...

I never really thought of getting rid of it but I guess I don't need it anymore. I have an aftermarket deck that I wouldn't want to keep for a future vehicle I would purchase a new one as it would be rather aged by then. My deck is just a cd player as the cassette was separate sitting below the ashtray but it worked a 1 1/2 years ago when I took it out. I don't know if theftlock is on or not with it so I don't know if that changes anything. It looks just like this one: Deck on Ebay.

Speaking of below the ashtray is there anything cool anybody has put there instead of a cassette which I have never used and couldn't use anyways?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page