Sound insulation Alternative

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

BDiefAZ
Regular
Regular

Sound insulation Alternative

Post by BDiefAZ »

I used the following product to insulate the cab of my truck over the last 2 weeks following the install of a new driver's side window motor:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... 1410-FV516

It is available at either Lowe's or Home Depot. The material comes in a roll, 1/8 inch thick self adhering foam, with a foil front on a 15 foot roll. Basically cut, peel, and stick like the other materials but at a fraction of the cost.

I am not claiming it to be like dynamat in its performance, but it does a great job for what it costs. I spent just under $30 for the whole area for 2 - 15 foot rolls.

The whole project used 2 rolls of the product on the doors and rear panel of the cab following tire jack bracket removal. The end result is that it is easy to use, relatively inexpensive, and reduces alot of road and outside noise in the truck. I only applied one layer of the material, and only placed it on the lower level of the inside of the door to avoid contact with the window mechanism. Some material was also placed on the back side of the door panels. The doors sound much more solid when they close.

I would like to remove the extended cab interior panels and cover those surfaces as well, especially since the front speakers now sound better and stronger than the rear speakers.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Last edited by BDiefAZ on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That link didn't take me to the product. How about a good link and description of the product. Pricing would be good as well as a part number.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BDiefAZ
Regular
Regular

Post by BDiefAZ »

I fixed the link, but in short, it is just under $15 per roll

Description from the Lowe's site:

12" Wx 15'L x 1/8"Thick
To insulate both heating and air-conditioning ducts
Foam and foil

Thermwell
Foam and Foil Duct Insulation

Item #: 28929 Model: FV516

Hope this helps
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

So it has a self adhesive on the foam side correct?
Looks like pretty good stuff. Thanks for the tip.

Keep in mind that foam can absorb water and create a real problem in areas where moisture is prevalent.
I know of a couple rigs where they rusted out the doors using foam rubber as a sound deadener.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BDiefAZ
Regular
Regular

Post by BDiefAZ »

It is self adhesive.

Good point, seems to be pretty "closed cell", but caution should used in potentially wet areas.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Isn't there some sort of commercial spray in sealant stuff that would do the same thing, but also permanently cure and bond to the surface it's sprayed on to prevent any rusting?

Seems like they'd have that somewhere...
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I would guess spray under coating. If I remember correctly Jim did the inside of his doors. Jim?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I know they have the spray you're talking about for home insulation use. It expands after you spray it but I've never heard of its use for automotive and I don't know if it would prevent rust but assuming it keeps air out than it should. The spray undercoating wouldn't really help with insulation so much but rust prevention definitely.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Yeah, if you used the undercoating spray on the inside...it'd probably make your truck stinketh :lol:
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I bought a "starter kit" from R-Blox off of eBay for 'bout $30 + shippin and got 25 square feet of material.

I'll bet this stuff is the same stuff...only, much less expensive.

Heck, I'm thinkin 'bout buying this stuff from Lowes and marking it up to make a few bucks!
All you have to do is come up with a marketing plan, and rebox the stuff and you've got a great automotive product!

I'm going to get a roll of this and put it inside the doors of my wife's Cavalier and see how it does.
I may even go plum overboard and remove the seats and carpet and door the floors! 8)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

This Reflectix from Lowes has got 2 -3 years on it under my hood. Used stock fasteners and 3m double sided take and it has held up well. Brule saw it in October and it was in good shape but, he'll probably claim that I just reapplied it! :lol: It is cheap bubble wrap covered with foil. If, you get bored, just start mashing the bubbles to irritate people. :D

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]