Think of a 6-speed?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Country_Guy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Think of a 6-speed?

Post by Country_Guy »

I looked with the search tool but did not find this. So I have been thinking of doing a trans swap specifically a T-56 / 6 -spd into my 99-Blazer. I have helped with one before in an Ford Explore but not a Chevy Blazer. The question I have is it really difficult in a GM S-10 vehicles. I know that the Explore wasn't to bad. I know the computer and or body module would have to be swapped from the donor truck as well as the column. I also know that the pedal will have to be swapped and the all the other necessities will need to be gone over. The reason I am considering a 6 - speed is simply the double overdrive for hwy duty. I know that there are a lot of Jeep guys using the 6 speed in off road apps because they can play hard in mud and climb like the devil but enjoy decent hwy rpms. Does anyone have anythoughts or ideas? Or in some cases think its a bad idea. I have always had a manual transmission until this truck and I really like being the one shifting (at least for me its better off road - IMO). How hard would it be? Would it be worth it? or should I just rebuild the 4L60E and call it done.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Anything is possible, however a swap to a stock 5 spd tranny would be easier.

Why don't you like the 4L60E?

They can be built very strong with the right parts. :wink:

Steve
Country_Guy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Country_Guy »

Steve, like I said I have always had a stick and prefer it to verses an auto trans. The auto in mine is definately not ok and I feel pushing it would mean bad things ahead, so I baby it as much as possible. I had it rebuilt once (as I didn't have time to do it myself) and feel as though I got scewed. The trans was ok for about 6 months and then right back to the old habbit. I think the 5-6 speed manual would fit me better. But I am going to look in to what you said as it could be a better alternative.

BTW I see you have a flowmaster 30 on your blazer, I have a 40 series on mine. What does the 30 series sound like?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Country_Guy wrote:BTW I see you have a flowmaster 30 on your blazer, I have a 40 series on mine. What does the 30 series sound like?
The 30 series "top ten" mufflers sound very similar to the Super 40's. 8)

I don't think Flowmaster manufactures the 30 series anymore. :(

I found mine on e-bay. :D

The Super 40 is the replacement for the 30 series and both are very similar in design.

Steve
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

I contemplated a 5 or 6 speed in my Blazer for a while. just dont know if I would like it offroad being that Ive never driven a stick offroad.
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

GeorgesBlazah wrote:I contemplated a 5 or 6 speed in my Blazer for a while. just dont know if I would like it offroad being that Ive never driven a stick offroad.
The thing about a manual for off road is for any medium-difficult obstacles is the need to add a hand throttle. I love manuals but, like an auto on trails! I am already busy enough avoiding crap and the old "heel/toe" is clumsy when not level and jarring around. :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Heads up for you guys. The T56 doesn't bolt to a 4wd transfer case. You're stuck with an NV3500 or NV4500 (depending on how strong you want it, and if you want to replace the transfer case while you're in there).

If you are gonna go to 2wd then teh T56 is a great solution!
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]