Window tinting how dark

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Window tinting how dark

Post by bradjh »

i am getting the 2 front windows tinted tomorrow how dark should i go in ohio50% is legal but any darker is not. i think the back ones are like 85%from the factory? i am thinking about goinog 65% in the front i dont want them too dark let me know what you got and i wana see some pics. brad
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

The backwindows come tinted at 15%. the legal limit in ohio is 50% on front windows. If you are worried about getting pulled over, 35% is your safe bet. You wont get pulled over with 35%. i had 15% on mine to match the back and never had a problem but, it depends on who you are and where your at. A friend of mine has a 4dr Pontiac Grand Am and has the doors tinted 15% and nothing on the back. He got pulled ove in Paulding county and was given an $85 fine. Have not heard of anyone else getting pulled over in forever. Must have been a bored State D**k. Hope this helps ya out.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

tinting

Post by bradjh »

yea i was thinking 35% as well but i dunno if it will look bad with the backs being 15%? pics any one? Brad
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

It wont look bad. It will blend some. You will see a difference though. Thats why I went 15% so they matched. All about your choice.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Mine are tinted at 35% in the front (which comes out to 28% after the factory tint). I had 15% before, which is very close to stock, but I got pulled over and had to remove it.

The 35% is noticably lighter, but it's WAAAAAAY better than having them stock, no comparison.

Stock:

35%:

[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I've got 5% all the way around on the Xtreme. No tickets in over 8 years that way either.

The Yukon now has the fronts tinted to match the backs, have no idea what it was, the tint shop matched it, and got pretty close. Should've done that a ton sooner.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

LOL You could use that to touch up your rear windows. That might just work.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I told them to match the rear. I don't know the % but I know they used 3M.

[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Griff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Griff »

Anyone have commendations on where to get the tint done? I know some places are better than others...
[size=75][url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?id=974]"Maxine"[/url]- K&N FIPK, Gibson Cat-Back, Knaffle Shackles and Receivers, Optima Red Top, Knaffle Sliders, etc.

I break at least 2 Federal Laws per day.[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

I did mine myself. You can buy it precut on ebay (i cut mine, but i'd buy the precut if doing it again).

It's really not that hard at all... and it's kinda satisfying to know you can do it.
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I've done mine before too. I am very impatiant so i had mine done on my CC. I took it to a tint shop. Had 15% put on just the front doors. They had it done in 15 minutes and charged me $50. I could not have done it in 15 minutes soooo.... I have never used the precut pieces either though. Your choice.
murfjr

Post by murfjr »

i did my own tinting also. i bought the $10 rolls from wal-mart, and am very pleased. they don't have that purple nonsense going on like most cars you see rolling around with. I put 20% over the factory tint on the rear windows, and 5% on the fronts. I know i'm screwed if i get pulled over, but it's well worth it, i love the privacy. the back windows you can only see through every once in a while in the perfect lighting, and the fronts are the same, but a little bit lighter. i don't know if i'd totally recommend going so dark on the front windows, because at night it's nearly impossible to see unless you're in a very well lit area, but if you're willing to just suffer with that little problem, then i'd say do it. i love my tint
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

From what i've been told, the purple is from people washing the tint with an ammonia based product (like windex)... it messes up the tint.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jigg wrote:From what i've been told, the purple is from people washing the tint with an ammonia based product (like windex)... it messes up the tint.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
murfjr

Post by murfjr »

they also wear out over time from opening and closing the windows, revealing more of a purple shade
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

yeah... i don't see how that's possible.

If that were the case, they'd be more purple towards the base of the window... and the very back window woudln't turn purple at all.