My new diff cover/girdle installed

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

T Man
Crew
Crew

My new diff cover/girdle installed

Post by T Man »

I recently acquired a diff girdle from a buddy of mine (hes on here, but I dont know his SN, so thanks Paul)

Was it necessary? Hardly, the highway doesnt exactally beat up the rearend, and my limited off road (kept to mild trailriding) isnt exactally a stresser much either, but it was free, and looks damn cool

Stock Sucks

Cover off, sorta view of the G 80

Heres the fluid. Im plannig on checking my axle seals tomorrow at work, and relocating the vent tube up higher

Heres the diff cover/girdle on

A further out view of the diff cover

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: My new diff cover/girdle installed

Post by HenryJ »

T Man wrote:...relocating the vent tube up higher...
Or at least away from the opening between the cab and bed where water drains down on it.

The cover looks good.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

Its a total ricer mod. On something else, it may be necessary, but i put it on for appearance
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

T Man wrote:Its a total ricer mod. On something else, it may be necessary, but i put it on for appearance
I disagree. The 7.5" hosing is notoriously flexy. Adding the proper load to those support studs, and just the support of that stiffer cover may prolong the life of the carrier bearing due to the retention of the proper preload.

Ricer mods are visible. Diff covers hardly qualify. Heck, I like some of the ricer stuff. Maybe we are all just a little jealous?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

HenryJ wrote:
T Man wrote:Its a total ricer mod. On something else, it may be necessary, but i put it on for appearance
I disagree. The 7.5" hosing is notoriously flexy. Adding the proper load to those support studs, and just the support of that stiffer cover may prolong the life of the carrier bearing due to the retention of the proper preload.

Ricer mods are visible. Diff covers hardly qualify. Heck, I like some of the ricer stuff. Maybe we are all just a little jealous?

OUCH! Here I am already having lift envy, and you go and point out how you cant hardly see my diff cover! Im gonna cry myslef to sleep tongiht! :)

I dont know, I still dont feel it is necessary, like I said, maybe for someone who abuses their stuff more, but other than a few failed mud attempts, im pretty much an on road kind of guy
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:I disagree. The 7.5" hosing is notoriously flexy. Adding the proper load to those support studs, and just the support of that stiffer cover may prolong the life of the carrier bearing due to the retention of the proper preload..........
I gotta go with Brule on this topic. A bunch of ny opinions are based on Heep mods but, this one is universal.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

Like I said, I dont think it is a stupid mod by any strech of imagination (are free mods ever really stupid though?) Just for my application, its not something i really NEEDED. I wasnt sitting around tinking, dayum, i need to stiffen up my rearend (on the truck pervs). It came up, i snatched it, bada bing, bada boom.

On a side note, I got a spare set of axles and rear calipers with brackets if anyone needs em make an offer
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

Your welcome tommy ;)

looks a lot nicer than when I gave it to you, and looks like it is a good thing you did it b/c that fluid looks pretty milky.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

thats what a red roloc wheel on a die grinder and some silver rattle can can do for ya. Thanks paulie