bone stock 2003, original owner - wanting headers ???

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Mike Mercury
Regular
Regular

bone stock 2003, original owner - wanting headers ???

Post by Mike Mercury »

Well; you have my specs, 2003 S10 Crew Cab, 4wd, with 4.3.

I am the original owner. Here is a pic taken on the day I bought her home (Jan 2003):

PICTURE

This is my everyday driver; and one if the best utility type vehicles I have ever owned.
I am wanting to increase the engines power a little bit; with these conditions:

1. remain emissions legal
2. no computer re-tune needed
3. louder sound note not really desired, but a little increase is OK.

I assume the exhaust is one of the areas to make improvement. I did a forum search for "headers"; but all the responses I read didn't mention the mfgrs name of the headers. And I'm having a tough time finding S10 CrewCab 4wd headers doing a Google search.

Was hoping to find a complete system ... headers and cat back; but headers without a complete system is OK as well. I can always add a cat-back. There was one mention on another forum abotu an Edelbrock system, but I don't see one listed for the S10 CrewCab 4wd 4.3.

Any suggestione s would be greatly appreciated.

Link't image over 100k forum limit (barely, but rulez is rulez :( )-HJ
Last edited by Mike Mercury on Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome to the forum. I personally do not know of headers offered in a package for our CCs. We do have the same frame as the extended cabs so you may look at other forums. I do know that efforts were made to install headers AFTER a body lift. It was a "no go" due to the steering arm position after the lift. It might be possible without a body lift.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BTW, good looking CC! Where are you located?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Mike Mercury
Regular
Regular

Post by Mike Mercury »

f9k9 wrote:BTW, good looking CC! Where are you located?
Ohio.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The stock manifolds are not terrible. Best gains are seen catback.
If you need headers there are a ton of things that you can do first.
For the price I would not add it to the top of the list.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mike Mercury
Regular
Regular

Post by Mike Mercury »

HenryJ wrote:The stock manifolds are not terrible. Best gains are seen catback.
If you need headers there are a ton of things that you can do first.
For the price I would not add it to the top of the list.
Great, then you've saved me some money (that I can use elsewhere).

Cold air intake I assume is a given.

Are all catbacks basically created the same ?
Again, my goal is not an increased level exhaust note... but as little as spound increase as I can get, but with some increased mid-range power.

And are high-flow cats a good upgrade (like on the LS1) ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Our cats are already 3" in/out high flow. No gains there. I removed my precat , but it had problems. Our Y-pipe is a good one. No gains there.
I like the custom built 3" single cat back. Check with a local shop and see what holds up the best for your area. A slightly smaller pipe may heat faster and last longer in the northern climates.
Search a little and you will find plenty of help.

Check out the Factory air box and modified headlight support. If I were to do it all again, I would go no farther.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mike Mercury wrote:
f9k9 wrote: Where are you located?
...................Ohio.
Ohio covers 44828 square miles! Pretty much narrows down the search in case, a member would like to help you or need assistance when in trouble.

Everything is true that friends have told me! I could not hack being a Wallyword greeter! :bonk:

I lived in Akron, Cleveland, Athens, Dayton and Ironton at one time or another.
Mike Mercury
Regular
Regular

Post by Mike Mercury »

f9k9 wrote:
Mike Mercury wrote:
f9k9 wrote: Where are you located?
...................Ohio.
Ohio covers 44828 square miles! Pretty much narrows down the search in case, a member would like to help you or need assistance when in trouble.

Everything is true that friends have told me! I could not hack being a Wallyword greeter! :bonk:

I lived in Akron, Cleveland, Athens, Dayton and Ironton at one time or another.
Sorry; SW Ohio (near Dayton). I guess I should fill out my forum profile.

I have a good relationship with a local muffler shop owner. I'm sure he would custom bend a true dual exhaust setup... with two cats (to remain emission legal).

I'll get with him later this week.
Last edited by Mike Mercury on Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mike Mercury wrote:... Is there room under there for a true dual (with cats) setup ?
I don't think so, but let your local expert offer his advice.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Bobblesmitty is just up in around Cleveland, and he has the cat back dual exhaust. The sound will all depend on what high flow muffler you decide on. There is no need for dual cats.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

I just got to read your thread and the best mods I have done to my '03 is the cat back with the air box mod. I got a Gibson cat back and installed it myself, I did it when the truck was new so I don't know what 5 years of running does to the gaskets and seals. It is not too loud but sounds full, if that means anything to you. The air box mod (with K&N drop n filter) was the most surprising HP gainer. It adds a little roar when you decide to really get on it though. About the headders, I researched that too and found one set that might work. When I talked to a mechanic, he said when you break the orginal gasket and replace it, you may be replacing that gasket every year or maybe two, probaly not worth it. Good Luck and WELCOME!
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Welcome to the site Mike Mercury. Here is a video clip of my cat back dual exhaust.

Dual Exhaust
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Mike Mercury
Regular
Regular

Post by Mike Mercury »

Cool !!!

my muffler guy said they there's nothign to gain (power wise) by going to true duals... unless I go without cat(s). I can't do that.

I notice many of the dual exhhaust conversions are not true dual exhaust.

Is this because true dual exhaust (with two cats) is not really needed... or because it's an installation nightmare ?
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

It's not really needed for one. Second, they may have a very hard time fitting two cats and two mufflers under the truck. Third, it's a 4.3L V6, it won't do too much for you. Stick with a catback setup.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Mike Mercury wrote:my muffler guy said they there's nothign to gain (power wise) by going to true duals... unless I go without cat(s). I can't do that.
Well, I'm going to say that not's true because a true dual exhaust with 2 cats, 2 mufflers and a balance pipe will definitely make more power than a single exhaust because of better scavenging and better balance of the exhaust pulses between both sides of the engine.

The reason nobody does this on our trucks is because of space problems, smog issues (if you have inspections in your state) , and the problem you run into with dual cats and only one 02 sensor available after the cat (not that it would natter much, but it would also cause you to fail a visual inspection if applicable).

The dual exhaust set ups that you see on these truck is one pipe from each manifold merged into a single pipe that goes into a pre-cat and then the larger cat then into a single inlet muffler with dual outlets.

Basically it's a dual single dual system while stock is dual single single. :lol:

The dual outlet mufflers do sound better, but at the expense of a little low end torque. :wink:

I've tried both and the single seemed to have a little more power, not much but enough that I could tell the difference. :o

Steve
Mike Mercury
Regular
Regular

Post by Mike Mercury »

I had an experience many years ago with my 1980 Corvette

http://mikemercury.home.att.net/heritage/tim-1980-1.jpg

I bought this car new, and it had a standard 5.7L where the exhaust was combined into one cat, then split again after the cat into two mufflers.

One day I got under the car and discovered that there were indentations and pathways for a second cat and piping. I bought an identical cat and had a different muffler guy turn it into a true dual exhaust with dual cats.

A very noticeable difference in the way it ran, and the dual note sound was cool. But back then, there was a lot of room for improvemwnt over the stock factory exhaust.

I imagine that to get todays power out of these smogged down motors... the factory systems are fairly efficient and not lagging much.

BTW; I got an email from Edelbrock saying that their headers only work up to a 1997/98 S10 and nothing newer.
Last edited by Mike Mercury on Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Nice Vette! :thumb:

Dare I ask if you still have it? :(

There is always room for improvement over the stock exhaust systems even on the newer vehicles. :wink:

Steve
Mike Mercury
Regular
Regular

Post by Mike Mercury »

No; only kept it for about 2 years.

So, now it looks like an aftermarket Y pipe and cat back system are they best way to go.

That takes me back to my orginal question... which emission-legal headers to buy?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mike Mercury wrote:... it looks like an aftermarket Y pipe and cat back system are they best way to go.

That takes me back to my orginal question... which emission-legal headers to buy?
HenryJ wrote:...Our Y-pipe is a good one. No gains there.
Did you read any of this thread?
No on y-pipe. No on headers.
Those are my suggestions.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mike Mercury
Regular
Regular

Post by Mike Mercury »

HenryJ wrote:
Mike Mercury wrote:... it looks like an aftermarket Y pipe and cat back system are they best way to go.

HenryJ wrote:...Our Y-pipe is a good one. No gains there.
Did you read any of this thread?
No on y-pipe. No on headers.
Those are my suggestions.
yes I did, but was hoping for something new that may have been introduced lately.

So now we're at a cat-back and cold air induction kit ?

Doesn't seem like much... but that's why I'm here. You folks have experience with this style truck.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nothing new has been introduced as far as I know. It is not likely that something new will arrive for a discontinued model and engine.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Nothing new has been introduced as far as I know. It is not likely that something new will arrive for a discontinued model and engine.
That is a sad reality but, I would go to the bank with his advice.
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

If you want a little more performace, get a custom tune or buy the Hypertech Power Programmer (HPP3).
Mike Mercury
Regular
Regular

Post by Mike Mercury »

HenryJ wrote:Nothing new has been introduced as far as I know. It is not likely that something new will arrive for a discontinued model and engine.
I really appreciate all the replies and straight talk.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is no magic cure. Lots of little things can make improvements, but they are small.
If you are really looking for power, get a bigger motor, and more than likely a bigger truck.
If you are looking for mileage, tune it well , let it breathe and keep your foot out of it.

I am happy with the performance of mine, but that took way more money than it was worth and six years.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

if you really want to "boost" performance there's really only one bolt on way to go
:wink:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Mike Mercury
Regular
Regular

Post by Mike Mercury »

HenryJ wrote:There is no magic cure. Lots of little things can make improvements, but they are small.
If you are really looking for power, get a bigger motor, and more than likely a bigger truck.
If you are looking for mileage, tune it well , let it breathe and keep your foot out of it.

I am happy with the performance of mine, but that took way more money than it was worth and six years.
I priced a 2008 Silverado crew cab V8 varidisplacement with short bed... around $37,000 they way I liked it 'quipped. But there's a problem with that style (and the Colorado)... IMO I don't like the way they look. The S10 Crew Cab is one of the best lookign trucks ever produced.

Because of this... I decided to do some "freshening-up" of my S10 instead fo byuying a new full sized.

Naw, I'm not wanting to run the S10 at the track or anything like that; just wanting to stay with simple no-tuning-required bolt-ons.

Of the three major catback systems, which one would be the quietest:

Magnaflow 15825
Gibson 14433
Dynamax 19409