Air Box Mod vs. K&N intake system

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Air Box Mod vs. K&N intake system

Post by Ken »

Is is worth spending the +/- 250.00 for the K&N or can I expect nearly the same performance gain with the Air Box Mod. Planning on one of the 2 with a Hypertech programmer. If driven "normally" how much if any increase in MPG could be expected given either one of those intake mods and the Hypertech?

On a side note; is anyone else bothered with the black background and Yellow Font on the sight? I can hardly read the post on because my eyes bug out after a few minutes... :shock:
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I would do exhaust before the FIPK. The exhaust makes a larger difference than the FIPK or the air box mod. I would still do both but exhaust first. I listened to people on this site and they recommended exhaust too and it was worth it.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Air Box Mod vs. K&N intake system

Post by F9K9 »

Ken wrote:Is is worth spending the +/- 250.00 for the K&N or can I expect nearly the same performance gain with the Air Box Mod.
I got my FIPK for just over $200 delivered but, now I would do the air box mod with a new K&N filter.
Ken wrote: If driven "normally" how much if any increase in MPG could be expected given either one of those intake mods and the Hypertech?
I would suspect very little. I once got 20 mph on a trip by driving like a little old blue haired lady and doing the speed limit but, once was all I could stand!
Ken wrote:On a side note; is anyone else bothered with the black background and Yellow Font on the sight?
No, I use foxfire with the white lettering on black background.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Air Box Mod vs. K&N intake system

Post by HenryJ »

Ken wrote:Is is worth spending the +/- 250.00 for the K&N
No
... can I expect nearly the same performance gain with the Air Box Mod.
Yes
...If driven "normally" how much if any increase in MPG could be expected given either one of those intake mods and the Hypertech?
None.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

the reasoning i don't think you're going to see a big MPG increase is this (and someone correct me if i'm wrong):

1. FIPK pulls in more air
2. MAF sensor does its job and registers the more air and sends a signal to your computer to add more fuel to the mixture for the burn cycle. more air and more fuel = more power.

yes you get more air into the engine and more power out of it. but you still end up burning the same air/fuel ratio.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The K&N FIPK will flow more air due to less restriction and a smoother inside flow path, but the gains over the modified stock air box with a drop in K&N filter are very small. :o

If I had to guess I would say that the FIPK gains maybe 2-4 hp over the modded box. :(

Not really worth the extra $200 if you ask me. :roll:

bwenny's reasoning on more air = more fuel burned makes sense and it is also worth mentioning that if you tune for more power using higher octane (93) with the HPPIII it is possible that you can gain a few mpg (1-2) over stock, but the added cost of the premium fuel kind of puts you back in the same range anyway. :?

If you tune for low octane (87), have a good intake system with a K&N filter, a low restriction exhaust, and drive very conservative you should be able to get a little bit better gas mileage than stock. :wink:

Just don't expect miracles. :lol:

Steve
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I've been tracking mileage like a hawk recently while debating on going to a fullsize or not.

I averaged 14.8mpg over 5 tanks driving around town. Thats with the FIPK installed, and no other mods.

I added an electric fan, transmission cooler and low temp thermostat. I've averaged the mpg's over the last 4 tanks which has included at least one trip to the lake (Three trips were ~24 miles round trip, the other ~120 miles round trip) per tank. I've averaged 15.6mpg Not quite one full mpg from just removing the stock clutch fan. I don't think the thermostat or cooler contributed much, but have no real world data to prove it.

MSD 6A is going back on tonight, and I'll be towing a small pop-up camper to St Louis for the weekend. I'll be sure to report back how the mileage is for the trip. Should have some highway towing, around town driving, and maybe even a pass down the 1/4 mile strip.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Last tank got 15.99mpg. Mostly around town driving. One trip to the lake at 24 miles round trip, and one short 20 mile drive on the highway at ~55mph cruise speed. The other 200 miles were all city/stop light driving.

It's getting closer to the 18mpg goal.....Not sure if I'll ever get there though.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I've been getting a consistent 18 to 18.5 mpg lately with all highway driving (cruise at 62 for 75% and 67 for 25% of the time). I have the body lift with 30x9.5" tires, modded air box with K&N filter, and catback dual exhaust.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

i get between 15-17 daily driving. no trips farther than 20 miles, most trips under 10 miles. some city, some highway.

'05 silverado crew cab Z71, 5.3L completely stock, 4.10 gears, light foot :lol:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]