Best Cold Air Intake ?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Best Cold Air Intake ?

Post by blackflamed »

Just wondering what everyone thought the best Best Cold Air Intake was K&N FIPK Air Intake for $222.95 or Velocity $77.35 ect ect
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

The $0 stock one with a big hole cut in the side :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

barch97 wrote:The $0 stock one with a big hole cut in the side :wink:
:lol: For the money, you just can't beat that one, and if you add a drop in K&N filter you will have an intake system that will flow almost as good as the expensive kits out there. :wink:

This is the same set up I am currently using on my 05 ZR2 Blazer. :D

For a lot more money the K&N/Summit FIPK for $215 works pretty good, and even though I have never tried it the Volant CAI looks real nice and it's a true cold air intake. :D

One thing that should be noted about the K&N FIPK is that some people have had problems with the intake hat popping off. :?

I had a K&N FIPK on my 01 CC for 90k+ miles with no problems, except for a broken air cleaner stud that was caused by the mis-alignment after a 2" body lift. :?:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

I vote for the AEM brute force. It's a bit more expensive than the K&N but i feel it's worth it. It's not an oiled filter, so there's no issue with over oiling it and gunking up your MAF sensor. It also comes with a 9" filter vs the 6"-ish filter on the K&N. It mounts with bolts to the throttle body vs the K&N's hose clamps. All in all, i think it's the better choice over the K&N.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

stock box, k&n drop in, and a bunch of holes in the box.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Jigg wrote:I vote for the AEM brute force. It's a bit more expensive than the K&N but i feel it's worth it. It's not an oiled filter, so there's no issue with over oiling it and gunking up your MAF sensor. It also comes with a 9" filter vs the 6"-ish filter on the K&N. It mounts with bolts to the throttle body vs the K&N's hose clamps. All in all, i think it's the better choice over the K&N.
I have a AEM cold air intake on my CRX and it is quality stuff. They put the filter about 4 inches off the ground in the CRX so not to good for deep water fording but it seems like a good product.
However for the price, just mod your factory box. I have mod'ed the air boxes in both my S-10's for free with good results. If you want to spend $300 spend it on a high flow mass air flow sensor. I modd'ed one to fit in line with my mostly stock air box on my 97 and ran it in stock class auto cross for years. Not sure if it really helped but that where I spent my $$.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

daevans315 wrote:If you want to spend $300 spend it on a high flow mass air flow sensor.
You do not want to do this unless you are ok with throwing away $300 and gaining absolutely nothing. :(

If you have $300 to spend on mods at least spend it on something that works. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I will have to agree with no cost effective benefit from a Granatelli MAFS.
There is a thread on the subject. MAF Sensors
That is a good reminder to reinstall and see what difference it makes. It has been a long time ago now, and I forget what gains/losses were seen.
Little if no difference IIRC.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

awesome thax i did the hole in my airbox for now and will buy a cold air intake at some point !
Noma02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Noma02 »

blackflamed wrote:awesome thax i did the hole in my airbox for now and will buy a cold air intake at some point !

How is it working out? I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but I don't want to mess anything up.
Noma02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Noma02 »

Ok, so I finally did it. Mod air box is complete. Also did the headlight mod. Nice sound and much smoother ride. Also I could tell it's got better get up and go! :shock: Just need to keep my foot out of it and see how much better gas mileage I get.
[size=75]2002 Sonoma crew cab. Mod air box. drop in K&N air filter , Tonneau cover.[/size] Bug deflector, vent guards. Step rail next!
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

my buddy made his own for his 01 caviler. just a clamp-on filter right to the intake
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Pictures of a cut out stock box at:
http://www.mys10truck.com/96/air_intake.html