Hitch with Large Towing Capacity

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Eric H
Crew
Crew

Hitch with Large Towing Capacity

Post by Eric H »

I'm looking for a hitch for my S10. I need one that will allow me to take advantage of the full 5,500 lb towing capacity from time to time.

I've looked at Valley Industries and Reese. Both appear to only have a 3500lb capacity.

Can anyone suggest a hitch?

Thanks
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Valley receiver will go 6000 trailer weight and 600 tongue weight used with a weight distributing hitch.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

just look up in the yellow pages for a hitch place. go there and tell them you want a class 3 reciever hitch with ball mount and ball for 5k lbs or more. they will hook you up.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I've had ~5,200lbs on the back of mine, and it did just fine. I certainly don't think GM would put one back there that wasn't intended to be used for the entire capacity of the truck.

BTW, I don't think I'll ever tow that much again with this truck without a weight distributing hitch. It did OK, but not great by any stretch.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

2kwik4u wrote:I've had ~5,200lbs on the back of mine, and it did just fine. I certainly don't think GM would put one back there that wasn't intended to be used for the entire capacity of the truck.

BTW, I don't think I'll ever tow that much again with this truck without a weight distributing hitch. It did OK, but not great by any stretch.
Do you have a hitch receive from a dealer? I believe they install the Valley hitch which is rated for 3500 lbs / 300 lb tounge weight with out a weight distributing system.

-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

A WDH does not change the tongue weight. It redistributes it through the vehicle, however that same amount is still focused through the hitch mount points.

The hitch was on the truck when I bought it, and the previous owner said it came from the dealership he purchased it at that way. i can crawl under and look for a decal/sticker/stamp on it if you like.

In the end, the entire weight of the tongue, as well as the pulling/pushing/lifting/lowering forces of the trailer will all be focused THROUGH the mounting locations. If they all mount to the frame in the same manner, then they all have the same strength. Now other factors can change the ratings (like material selection, contruction, welding techniques, etc). However all Class 3 hitchs will have a 5,000lb GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) rating. If not they aren't class 3 IMO.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I still have a GM hitch for sale in the classifieds that has been raised 1.5" for use on an S10 with a 2" Body lift. :wink:

Steve
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

killian96ss wrote:I still have a GM hitch for sale in the classifieds that has been raised 1.5" for use on an S10 with a 2" Body lift. :wink:

Steve
Box that thing up and tell me the shipping costs to 55369... consider it sold. :)

You can also reach me at eric.hassler (at) gmail.com
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Thanks, Steve!

Post by Eric H »

Thanks for the hitch, Steve! I appreciate how quickly you got it shipped out.

I bolted it up to my truck today. I didn't realize how straight-forward the installation would be.. I only had to drill one hole in the frame rails a little larger.

Thanks again!
-Eric H
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Thanks, Steve!

Post by killian96ss »

Eric H wrote:Thanks for the hitch, Steve! I appreciate how quickly you got it shipped out.
:thumb:

Steve