ZR2 vs ZR5

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

jist1983
Regular
Regular

ZR2 vs ZR5

Post by jist1983 »

My buddies ZR2 was parked next to my ZR5 the other day and it looks like as though he sits higher? :?:
Question His is stock as well as mine... Any ideas what the difference would be? and if so how would i do it? and why shouldn't i do it?.... i want to put a lift on it but I'm not looking at doing the body lift more or less suspension is what I'm leaning towards, but if there is something cheap, and different, just to get a lil higher like his, that would be fine for now till i get more money.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

It's definitely not cost effective to turn your truck into a ZR2. You'd need a new frame and lots of custom work:
If you are wondering what makes a regular S-10 a RPO ZR2, the following is the list of the factory modifications:

RPO ZR2 only full ladder-type frame with modified suspension mounting points which provide:

100mm wider track (3.9 inches wider than regular S-10)

Three-inch suspension height increase

Enhanced front (7.25" ring gear) and rear (8.5" ring gear) axles w/ 3.73:1 rear-axle ratio

Larger wheel and axle bearings

31 x 10.5R-15 LT/C black wall off-road tires (BFG A/Ts on pickups and BFG Long Trails on BlaZeR2)

46mm gas pressurized Bilstein Monotube shocks

Rear axle track bar (pickups) / rear sway bar (BlaZeR2)

Wheel flares (black on S-10 pickups and BlaZeR2 / body-color on Sonoma pickups)

33mm (early model) / 28mm (late model) front anti-sway bar

Skid plates
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
Miles
Crew
Crew

Post by Miles »

[size=75][b][color=orange][i]~Jeremy[/i][/color][/b]

[i][b][color=blue]'00 ZR2 Blazer, 33" KM2's on PA3's, Lock Right in Iron front diff/Detroit Locker in rear, sway-bar disco's, 1-Ton P & I Arms[/color][/b][/i]

[b][color=yellow]BlaZeR pics [/color][/b][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/b240/Muslhed/Best%20Blazer%20pics/][b][color=red]HERE[/color][/b][/url][/size]
jist1983
Regular
Regular

Post by jist1983 »

AHHHHHHHH gotcha..... i was just wondering if it was anything that might be easy to change but ya all that seems like way to much work for me to do...lol ok next questions any ideas on suspension kits to look into.... looking to put it on this spring some time if i get the money....
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If you want your ZR5 to look like a ZR2 then I would get the 6" suspension lift made by Superlift, and some new rims with less backspacing. :wink: I think this would be your only option especially if your against body lifts. :? Why don't you like body lifts? :?: If you want to save a lot of money and get your ZR5 to sit just as high as a ZR2 then I would at least consider the 2" Performance Accessories body lift combined with a mild t-bar crank and new rims. :wink:

Steve
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Body Lift: $200
Tbar Crank: $50.00 b/c you need an alignment
Shackles: $50 - $100 range
30 or 31" tires: $400-$600 range
4 Spacers: $100-$150 range

So far, that's no more than $1,100 max. You can opt for some skid plates in the future, but if all you want to do is get your truck up a little higher and the stance a little wider so it looks like a Zr2, I bet most would suggest this. I suggest spacers instead of new wheels b/c it's probably cheaper to do so. Here's my setup and it's pretty close to looking like a Zr2... I just didn't go the whole wide stance route, just evened up the track with rear spacers. In this picture, I have the 2" BL, 2" lift shackles, 30" tires, and 1.25" spacers on the rear.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I like that truck....i shoulda held out for black :(
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

Black is a great color... when its clean. Nothing wrong with attention whore yellow. :lol: j/k. :wave:
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

That's funny you say that 2kwik4u, I always wanted a yellow ZR5 but when I bought mine in July of 2004, there were only two new ones available in this area, red or black. But I'm alright with black, it definately looks great when it's clean!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

BobbleSmitty wrote:That's funny you say that 2kwik4u, I always wanted a yellow ZR5 but when I bought mine in July of 2004, there were only two new ones available in this area, red or black. But I'm alright with black, it definately looks great when it's clean!
Wanna trade?!?!?! :D :D I have a feeling mine will end up with a setup VERY similar to yours in the future. Either that or it's getting dropped with monster sway bars, I can't decide :D
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

If it were two years ago, I'd consider trading! :) But the black has grown on me (when it's clean). It's white right now b/c of all the salt from the roads. Looks like I have two tone paint! lol
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I'm sitting up about the same height as a Zr-2. I've found some stock rigs are a bit taller than mine, and others are a bit lower.

2" Body Lift
1" TB Crank
2" Shackles
31x10.5x15s
15x8 Rockcrawlers w/ 4" of BS

Soon to be a member of the 33"s club. :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
jist1983
Regular
Regular

Post by jist1983 »

Basically i was leaning away from the body lifts because i think i would rather have something more secure such as the suspension, the body lift kits look nice and all but doesn't it put strain on those bolts and such when you put them on?.... How does it do off road?... i mean i could be wrong i am still kind of a newbie when it comes to this stuff but tell me if i wrong..
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

There really isn't anything wrong with body lifts. I'd say probably 3/4 of the guys on here and ZR2USA.com have them or are looking to put one on in the future.

If you need a price on one, shoot me a PM, I sell Performance Accessories kits (along with most suspension lifts if you're lookign to go that way).
Griff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Griff »

Jigg wrote:There really isn't anything wrong with body lifts. I'd say probably 3/4 of the guys on here and ZR2USA.com have them or are looking to put one on in the future.

If you need a price on one, shoot me a PM, I sell Performance Accessories kits (along with most suspension lifts if you're lookign to go that way).
My problem with them is that my sliders are built for a non-bodylift. :(
[size=75][url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?id=974]"Maxine"[/url]- K&N FIPK, Gibson Cat-Back, Knaffle Shackles and Receivers, Optima Red Top, Knaffle Sliders, etc.

I break at least 2 Federal Laws per day.[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Griff wrote:
Jigg wrote:There really isn't anything wrong with body lifts. I'd say probably 3/4 of the guys on here and ZR2USA.com have them or are looking to put one on in the future.

You can still put the body lift on, you'd have two options:

Leave the sliders where they are and use them as a step.

Cut the plate off and have it reworked to fit with the BL.
Griff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Griff »

Jigg wrote:
Griff wrote:

You can still put the body lift on, you'd have two options:

Leave the sliders where they are and use them as a step.

Cut the plate off and have it reworked to fit with the BL.
um...it's blasphemy to cut Chris' welds.
[size=75][url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?id=974]"Maxine"[/url]- K&N FIPK, Gibson Cat-Back, Knaffle Shackles and Receivers, Optima Red Top, Knaffle Sliders, etc.

I break at least 2 Federal Laws per day.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Griff wrote:um...it's blasphemy to cut Chris' welds.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

The sliders can be raised... But besides that, you say you have a Zr5, the step bars can be raised very easily! Body lifts are just fine. Really there's no added strain on any bolts. Little two inch discs go between the body and the frame and then it bolts right down. It's either a 1 or 2 day project, but anyone can do it. No need to pay someone to do it for you. As for off road, the only added ground clearance would be from a larger tire diameter. So if you go to a 30 to a 31 expect about an inch or two depending on the actual tire diameter.
jist1983
Regular
Regular

Post by jist1983 »

You know that some of you guys say that about the body lifts i might do that now.....i've been looking at other pictures with body lifts they don't look that bad.... i just thought that maybe it would put strain on the bolts it wouldn't be worth it but most people are saying it doesn't so hey what the heck.... thanks
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

A body lift, when the instructions are followed, is a very safe modification. I have talked to GM service managers that recommend them.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]