Opinions on Oil Filter Bracket?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Opinions on Oil Filter Bracket?

Post by Jigg »

Anyone have any opinions on this bracket?

Summit Oil Filter Bracket

With installing my winch, i need to move the oil filter way out the of the way. I'm going to ditch the oil cooler and just run a filter, so i'm looking to splice into the lines coming off of the block and run them to this bracket inside the engine bay.

I really appreciate any opinions you guys have.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Are you sure you really want to ditch the oil cooler? :? The oil cooler does a good job of regulating temperature. :wink: If you decide on a different remote filter set up try not to use too much rubber hose since it will drop the oil pressure a little. :wink:

Steve
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Yeah, i'm going to ditch the cooler. A lot of the SBC's don't run them, and they're basically the same engine with two more cylinders, so i'm comfortable not running it (i can always hook it back up if i want to).

Thanks for the advice on not running too much hose, I think i'm going to shoot to install it as close to the stock location as i can, then i can still use the oil filter door. Having a smaller bracket is going to make a huge difference.

I just ordered the kit, I was going to get just the oil filter bracket, but i'd rather have extra parts than missing some during the install.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Well, I see you already ordered the kit, but I was wondering if there was some way you could just cap off the 2 holes going to the cooler and then just reuse and relocate the stock remote filter assembly? :? If you can find some good quality high pressure rubber hose then the pressure drop I was referring to could me minimized. :wink:

Steve
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

I actually have hi temp / hi pressure rubber hose i ordered from a company that builds race engines. I bought 50 ft of 3/8" and 10 ft of 1/2" awhile back. Figured it'd work well enough.

I did relocate the stock assembly, but i need a smaller setup to put it in a safer place, the stock one just takes up entirely too much room with the hard lines that come off of it (the bracket i bought is roughly 4"x3", where as the stock bracket with the hard lines takes up at least 8"x8"). Plus, this way i can eliminate 3/4 of the stock oil cooler lines ;)

Any idea which line is the sending line and which line is the return line coming from the block?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That bracket will work just fine. Don't worry about lines creating a pressure loss. Actually the drop only lasts as long as it takes to build the pressure. They balloon and create a reservoir of pressure. This does not apply to a braking system where hydraulics are concerned.
Quality lines are better of course. Rigid is not necessarily needed.

I have that same adapter mounted to the fuel pump block off plate on the HenryJ as well as a big external engine oil cooler.

Be sure to use a filter with a check valve so the lines don't drain back to the oil pan and starve the engine on start-up.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Awesome, thanks Brule!

Do you know if the Delco filter has a check valve?
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I believe that is the same one my friend was running in the trunk of his Camaro. I think it would be fine as long as it it not mounted where it can't vibrate a lot. I would worry about the cast cracking across the mounting holes. Here are some other choices. ONE ... TWO I like the Billet Alum mount at the bottom of the second link. I would think it would be a little stronger.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jigg wrote:...Do you know if the Delco filter has a check valve?
Look through the holes in the top. If you see rubber, that is the check valve. If you see metal or filter media, it may not have an anti drain back valve.

Badscrew is right about breaking the mounting ears. I have seen more than one do that. Make sure it is a good solid mount without flex. Mine is mounted to the block off plate and has been doing great. It is a high vibration mount, but I don't take it offroad.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

i wouldnt worry about not using an oil cooler. and i agree the pressure drop isnt too much concern either, as long as the new hoses are at leat as large I.D. as the originals.
plus, you will be using a Ford syle filter (3/4"X16 thread), so it will be considerably larger, and have less potential pressure drop across it than the original filters do....
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Thanks for the heads up Bads Crew and HJ!

Lee,
I think i have the option of using the original filter, as it comes with an 18mm x 1.5 fitting as well. Sounds like i'm better off using the Ford style?
20Blazer00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by 20Blazer00 »

Jigg wrote:Yeah, i'm going to ditch the cooler. A lot of the SBC's don't run them, and they're basically the same engine with two more cylinders, so i'm comfortable not running it (i can always hook it back up if i want to).

Thanks for the advice on not running too much hose, I think i'm going to shoot to install it as close to the stock location as i can, then i can still use the oil filter door. Having a smaller bracket is going to make a huge difference.

I just ordered the kit, I was going to get just the oil filter bracket, but i'd rather have extra parts than missing some during the install.
If you're going to "ditch" the cooler why keep the lines. You should be able to just remove filter adapter and the threaded (center) from the adapter and put it back in the block and be done with it...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you can get to it over the front driveshaft, that is a good option. No cost.

You can unscrew the threaded adapter from your oil filter bracket and install it in the block. I have done that on 2wd fullsize trucks :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I'm late to the party on this one, but have you considered using the oil lines from a Syclone/Typhoon? They move the filter to up behind the driverside headlight where the stock airbox is located. Let me find a pic here.......OK I can't find a picture at this time, but I'll try to take one here soon of a friends truck.

Stock bracketry, lines, and filter mount. Just for a different model.

Just some more thoughts.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

The oil filter does not fit on the block on a 4wd s-series. There is not enough clearance with the front drivetrain.

I'm going to install the bracket etc in a few minutes.

Anyone have any idea which line is the "in" and which line is the "out"? Or is there any way to tell for sure?
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

It's all done.

There are actually markings on the stock filter bracket that say "in" and "out". Don't get much clearer than that!

Ended up mounting it up behind the air filter, i'll have to take the down tube off to change the filter, but other than that, it's definitely much better than what i had! The ford filter is about 50% bigger than the stock filter.

Once my fairlead mount comes in, the winch will be done... can't wait!
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

yeah i would stick with the Ford style filter. its much larger than our original is. almost certainly has higher flow rate/less pressure drop across it...
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Everything works perfectly, drove home an hour and a half last night with no problems. The oil pressure is way more consistent now, it's actually a little higher as well, stays around 42 psi, where before it fluctuated a lot more, and stayed closer to 38 psi.

Pics (excuse the mud :lol: ) :