Flowmaster Super 40's

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Flowmaster Super 40's

Post by ace »

I know a lot of people are running the delta flow 40's but has anyone tried the super 40's or heard them. They are supposed to have a deeper tone with reduced interior resonance. I'm really tempted to go this route but if it resonates to much I would be dissapointed.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I think there was a post saying they needed a guinea pig to do it first. Just to see how it sounds on our trucks.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have a 30 series Flowmaster muffler on my CC which is basically the same as the newer Super 40's. :D I also have a Flowmaster resonator in line with the muffler so I can't really say how loud it is without it. :shrug: I think it sounds OK, but it is still not loud enough for me. :roll: Some time in the near future I plan on removing the resonator and replacing it with two 45 bends. :wink: I think it will sound a lot deeper then. 8)
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

The super 40 sounds like the next logical step considering a few people have said they would like the deltaflow to be a little louder and some people with the original 40's have said they have a lot of resonance in the cab. The super 40 is supposed to be right in the middle of those two. I might give it a try. I'm still doing research though and unfortunately all the sound clips aren't with the 4.3 either. If you take off the resonator i sure would like to hear it.
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I know this is way off base, and NOT what you are asking, but have you thought about a magnaflow?

I've got one on the Xtreme, and my previous roomate had one on his as well. He has probably the best sounding 4.3/auto I've heard. Nice subtle tones while cruising, but when you get on it, it wakes up and makes plenty of noise.

2.5" single in/3" out, to a nice short tailpipe that dumps in front of the rear wheel. I think it's a polished 14" 5x8 oval body also.

Just a thought.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I've definitely considered the magnaflow mufflers. My muffler shop says they will have more performance but less volume because they are a straight through design. I definitely want performance but I want a decent sound too. I've read some posts that say the magnaflows are raspy or are not loud enough. But all are opinions. I still might end up with a magnaflow but I'm still looking. Is your 14" loud enough in your opinion? Also the you mentioned oval shape, does that still have an offset inlet or outlet? Also you mentioned your old roommates exhaust sounded the best was his different than yours and if so how? Exhaust is a tough decision.
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Ultimately exhaust is a preferential decision. I personally don't like the super loud, ultra deep sound. I prefer the quieter more subtle notes. The magnaflow is not nearly as loud as the flowmaster, and depending on the length of the tailpipe it might have a bit of a rasp to it.

The 2.2 in my Xtreme has a nice oval tip on it, but it expands the pipe some, so it has a bit of rasp to it. The 4.3 in my roomates Xtreme has a full 3" pipe with a few bends and a nice straight tip on it, so it has VERY little rasp to it.

Ultimately you should find a few trucks to listen too if possible.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Miles
Crew
Crew

Post by Miles »

Here's several different muffler setups on 4.3 powered S-10's: CLICK

I've got the 14" Magnaflow with a 2.5" tailpipe, and I think it sounds like serious doggy-doo. There's a clip of it in the above link. For some reason, every straight-thru glass pack design muffler sounds very ricey behind the GM 4.3 V6. The FM Super 40 is supposedly the most popular & most liked muffler behind the 4.3 V6.

I am quite interested in hearing a clip of this Hooker Aero Chamber muffler behind the 4.3. Still haven't found a clip of it yet though.....
[size=75][b][color=orange][i]~Jeremy[/i][/color][/b]

[i][b][color=blue]'00 ZR2 Blazer, 33" KM2's on PA3's, Lock Right in Iron front diff/Detroit Locker in rear, sway-bar disco's, 1-Ton P & I Arms[/color][/b][/i]

[b][color=yellow]BlaZeR pics [/color][/b][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/b240/Muslhed/Best%20Blazer%20pics/][b][color=red]HERE[/color][/b][/url][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Muslhed,

Thanks for the links. I really like the sound of the super 40 on there. Now I just wonder how it would sound as a single 3" all the way out.