Rear end, transfer case, etc, vents

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rear end, transfer case, etc, vents

Post by mjmcdowell »

Ok.... took my son camping to one of our favorite places and the creek we have to ford was a tad higher than normal, just below my knees when waded. No problem over and when we had to come home as the bottom is hard gravel. I decided a few days later to have my mechanic check the fluids..... milk in the rear end! well I had not very many miles since the trip so he drained and re-filled it , no harm. I checked the vent hose and found that some how it must have sagged enough to be rubbed by the drive shaft and we think it had an ever so small hole worn in it. Sooo we changed it out and ran it up to just below the front bed lip and refit the OEM cap . Hopefully I never get in that deep, Ha! Now for a question, would one of those small air filter type breathers that you see in Auto Zone work for the vent on the firewall and the vent on the side of the radiator near the air intake? The are high enough and protected as they are under the hood. What say anybody?, input would be appreciater, stay safe, mjmcdowell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I like to use the plastic capped breathers that GM has been using forever. They are pretty simple. The foam filters can degrade and for some reason seem to attract dust / debris.

Somewhere I read of extending the rear axle breather up in behind the tail light.
Moving to a clean dry location is a good idea.
The transfercase breather attached to the transmission dip stick housing is a pretty good place, and the front axle breather up by the radiator is good as well. It seems the rear axle breather is the one to worry about.

Oh! and don't forget the AIR pump. That intake would benefit from a breather and relocation to the void below the battery.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK