I need a v8

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I need a v8

Post by jeggers »

I need a V8, i pull a camper that is just abut at the 4.3 l's limit and with the lift and 32s its a hard time going down the road. So i have thought about tradeing up but i would rather work with what i have . so i am open for suggestions.

Some questions i have

Can i use the hpp3 withe a powerdyne sc??
and if no why not ?(looking at the powerdyne insructions it dosent tapinto the computer)

Has any one put a v8 into a 98 and newer 4x4?( i can only find info on up to 97)

If i just went with 456 gears would this help me get up the hills?

I was looking at a gen3 6.0 for the swap.
thank for any help. :bonk:
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I know LS1ZR2(Mike) from the now dead Zr2.com forums swapped an LS1 into his newer Zr2. I've heard that 350's are the easiest, but have never even attemped it myself. After reading up some, the V8 is the way to go over the supercharger.

If you went with 4.10's, you could possibly find a front diff with them already in it.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Go fullsized. I hate saying that, but if pulling a big camper is what you want to do, that will be the best option.
A V-8 in one of these trucks is a nice toy, but hardly a cost effective daily driven , family vacationing vehicle.

A smaller trailer, and I mean small. Would be a choice if you want to keep the s-series. How about motels? Or be happy tent camping.

I say go fullsized and don't look back. You can achieve the same or better mileage. Have enough weight to handle a larger trailer. Power to pull. Room for stuff. And a whole new vehicle to mod.

For a V-8 swap you are looking at $5000 , easy. That is if you can do lots of the work yourself. You will still be stuck with poorly geared weak axles.

Cut your losses. Sell the crew and go fullsized.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

TiTan
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Man Jeff now you have me looking as Nissans. I will have to wait a year or two though!!!
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

SONOMA915 wrote:Man Jeff now you have me looking as Nissans. I will have to wait a year or two though!!!
I love it they really put some thought into it after 5000 miles in a month so far my only complaint is the stock stero but I didnt plan to keep it in anyway
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Go fullsized. I hate saying that, but if pulling a big camper is what you want to do, that will be the best option.
A V-8 in one of these trucks is a nice toy, but hardly a cost effective daily driven , family vacationing vehicle.

A smaller trailer, and I mean small. Would be a choice if you want to keep the s-series. How about motels? Or be happy tent camping.

I say go fullsized and don't look back. You can achieve the same or better mileage. Have enough weight to handle a larger trailer. Power to pull. Room for stuff. And a whole new vehicle to mod.

For a V-8 swap you are looking at $5000 , easy. That is if you can do lots of the work yourself. You will still be stuck with poorly geared weak axles.

Cut your losses. Sell the crew and go fullsized.

Like FOX News...."Fair and Balanced"
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

I used to have a full sized GMC, but I couldn't hardly fit it in the garage. Had to pull it all the way to the the front wall & then jump over the bumper to get inside (dang these cheap a$$ home builders with their short garages) :twisted:
That's why I got the Crew. I need more juice too, but I'm thinking supercharger, for a bolt-on HP increase that I can remove and sell if I ever do let the truck go.8)
I'm sticking with it for now cause I prefer the compact size. I like the uniqueness of it too, not very many Crews around, much less lifted ones, & I get a lot of compliments on mine. I'd better, for all the money I spent :wink:
[size=75]2003 ZR5, 6" Superlift, cut out flares, step rails, 1.5" rear spacers, 15x8 Pro Comp 1079 wheels w/ 3.75" BS, 33/12.50-15 BFG AT-KO tires[/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

SOLD :cry: :cry: :cry:
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeggers wrote:SOLD :cry: :cry: :cry:
A wise decision for your needs.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

what did you buy?
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

for how much? what's replacing it?
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

Well i was not happy to see it go but i got a good deal on my trade. i picked up a silverado with the vortech max package. Towing cap.is about 9900lbs. i was going to post pics but i dont have the soft ware to resize them right now. its a cc 1LT 17" wheels and white. I don't plan on leaving this site though. :D
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Jeggers, if you want to send me a pic or two, I'll resize and post them. Send a couple to walt(dot)amason(at)gmail(dot)com.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...