Exhaust vs intake vs hypertech

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Exhaust vs intake vs hypertech

Post by ace »

I have about $150.00 to spend and I need some more performance wondering which one of these will give me the most bang for the buck.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I would go with this sequence......Intake, exhaust, shocks and we are already way past $150
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The HPP3 isn't really worth it unless you're running over-sized tires. Then I'd say it's almost required.

Otherwise, I agree with Reed. Intake before anything else. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I vote exhaust first. A nice 3" exhaust system will come close to that total, perhaps a few dollars more. Hands down the best bang for the buck, IMO.

You can mod your stock box and headlight support for free. That takes care of two of the choices. Then save up for the HPPIII.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I'm with HJ on this one! Cut the air box open and get an exhaust! I spent 200 on my custom cat back system :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I'm going to have to disagree on the order of mods here. :lol: I would would do the air box mod along with a drop in replacement K&N air filter, then exhaust, and finally the HPPIII. It is almost pointless to do the air box mod without also getting the K&N filter since the stock paper filter really sucks. The air box mod combined with the K&N filter gave me way more power than the exhaust did! :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:I'm going to have to disagree on the order of mods here. :lol: I would would do the air box mod along with a drop in replacement K&N air filter, then exhaust, and finally the HPPIII. It is almost pointless to do the air box mod without also getting the K&N filter since the stock paper filter really sucks. The air box mod combined with the K&N filter gave me way more power than the exhaust did! :wink:

Steve
I think we are basically on the same page, Steve :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

exhaust
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

I'd go Exhaust and then intake. Save your money on the HPP3... it's a waste of coin.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jigg wrote:I'd go Exhaust and then intake. Save your money on the HPP3... it's a waste of coin.
Performance wise, I concur. They are nice for adjusting tire size which affects your speedometer and your ABS system.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Exhaust first, if nothing else just for the sound, then the air box mod, then the HPP3....and yes the HPP3 is worth it.
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Steve2003 wrote:....and yes the HPP3 is worth it.
How can you justify over $250 new for what the HPP3 does?
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Jigg wrote:
Steve2003 wrote:....and yes the HPP3 is worth it.
How can you justify over $250 new for what the HPP3 does?
After I had my HPP3 for about 3 months I felt the same way. Brule suggested I deprogram it for a few days and see how my truck does without it, well I noticed a great loss of power. On the freeway was the biggest diffirence. I have since deprogramed it several times when it goes in to the dealer and I really don't like the loss of power. To me it's worth it :D
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Do you have it tuned for 93 octane and run a lower t-stat?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I think you guys have missed the original question. :lol: "which one of these will give me the most bang for the buck". The answer to that question is without a doubt the air box mod with a K&N filter. This mod will only cost you $50 and it will give you way more power than a new exhaust system. :roll: I do agree that upgrading the exhaust is a good idea, but it definitely is not the best bang for your buck. :wink: C'mon guys, stop posting your answers backwards. :lol:

Steve
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Jigg wrote:Do you have it tuned for 93 octane and run a lower t-stat?
87 octane tuning , 5600 rpm limiter , 128 mph , 32" tires , 1-2 shift -2 , 2-3 shift -8 , 3-4 shift -10 , shift firmness
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Steve, the Hypertech does not give you very much extra hp, especially when it's tuned for 87 octane. The reason it seems like your gaining a lot of power is because of the re-calibration for the 32" tires that you have which makes your truck shift better and shift at the right time. I think you would be shocked to learn that you are only gaining like 5 horsepower in the 87 octane mode. :wink: The Hypertech is very helpful after you start adding mods, but I really don't think they are worth the $350-$400 that they sell for brand new. A fair price for the performance you get would be $150-$200. :wink:

Steve
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I think i'm leaning toward exhaust because somtimes I run across an intake for a good deal and I can do the air box mod like you guys said until then. But then I get confused on which exhaust to ask for. I like duals out the rear with good sound but does that yield less performance? I'm not an exhaust expert by an means. HJ you mentioned a 3" inch exhaust is that a single outlet out the stock location?
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Here's two videos of exhaust... the first one is Steve's exhaust and the second one is my exhaust.

http://media.putfile.com/S10-Crew-Cab-F ... er-Exhaust

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/302F ... 4E3FA6.htm
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Ace, you will get a lot of opinions around here on exhaust, but remember they are just opinions. :wink: A dual exhaust system sounds better than a single, but you will lose a little low end torque with a dual set up. I have had both on my CC and I can tell you for sure I noticed a little more power with the single exhaust. Some people believe that a 3" I/O muffler is better than a 2-1/2" I/O muffler, but once again these just are just opinions. When I visited Flowmaster in Santa Rosa, CA they told be specifically to go with a single 2-1/2" set up vs. a 3" because the 3" will lose a little low end torque only to gain a couple hp in the high end which is not what a truck needs. :wink: Remember, we have a V-6 not a V-8. :lol: Whatever size muffler you get it is a good idea to have your local exhaust shop bend some 3" tubing for the tailpipe since almost all tubing benders crimp the area where the bends are which reduces the 3" tubing to 2-1/2 - 2-3/4. I personally wouldn't reuse the factory tailpipe since it is only 2-1/4" around the crimp bends. I believe I am still the only one using a fully mandrel bent Flowmaster exhaust system which does flow better than any crimp bent exhaust system. I modified a Flowmaster Force II system that was designed for the extended cab S10's to fit my CC. :D

Steve
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I'm a HUGE fan of magnaflows on S10's.

I intend to put one on the crew in the near future. I'll be ordering the muffler from www.hottexhaust.com in a 14" length with single 2.5" in and out. I'll be running the tailpipe in such a manner that it dumps right behind the step, and in front of the rear wheel. The hell with going over the axle and all that madness :D.

I'm not your typical answer as I have access to a welder, and tubing bender (not crush bends), so I tend to fab my own stuff up instead of pay someone else.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

FWIW, Magnaflow reccomends the 18" for the 4.3L
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Jigg wrote:FWIW, Magnaflow reccomends the 18" for the 4.3L
Longer = quieter.......I've got a 14" on my 4cyl, and my roomate has a 14" on his 4.3/Auto Xtreme. He has what is quite possibly the best sounding S10 I've heard. Nice and mellow until he hits the loud pedal, then it's nice and strong.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

2kwik4u wrote:I have access to a welder, and tubing bender (not crush bends), so I tend to fab my own stuff up instead of pay someone else.
You have access to a mandrel bender? 8) Can you program it to make anything you want?

Steve
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

2kwik4u wrote:
Jigg wrote:FWIW, Magnaflow reccomends the 18" for the 4.3L
Longer = quieter.......I've got a 14" on my 4cyl, and my roomate has a 14" on his 4.3/Auto Xtreme. He has what is quite possibly the best sounding S10 I've heard. Nice and mellow until he hits the loud pedal, then it's nice and strong.

If you've heard it in person, i can't argue with that.

A couple people in this thread mention that the 14" sounds ricey:
http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.php? ... =5527&st=0

I have a magnaflow 14" single 2.5 in and dual 2.5 out w/3" tips. It sounds good at idle and just off idle but when you get on it, i think it sounds kinda ricey (in the cab anyways) Who knows though. Im going to mod my air box and get a drop in K&N and i heard that changes the exhuast a little so hopefully that will work. I talked to magnaflow and the tech guy said that for our trucks he would have recommended an 18" instead. (my buddy has an 18" on his 1/2 ton and i wanted something louder and i figured with a smaller engine the 14" would be great but in reality it wasnt and i should have called and asked someone) Well good luck
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

i'll chip in my $20 (if that) exhaust idea again. just go to a muffler shop and have them cut out your muffler and put in a test pipe. 20 bucks and 20 minutes (if that). that'll free up your exhaust for cheap. you can add a nice tip for style if you'd like

do the airbox mod and buy a K&N replacement filter $45

March performance underdrive pulleys $100

puts you a little over budget but a nice set of budget mods :D
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ace wrote:...you mentioned a 3" inch exhaust is that a single outlet out the stock location?
Yes.
Check out these threads - exaust options , exhaust questions , Exhaust sounds

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Bla, exhaust first. And if you want performance get a set of headers before you put a muffler on, you will gain the most from exhaust the closer to the motor the mod is. That is if you can find a direct fit header for the CC for $150, which might be hard.

Then swiss the air box to open up the intake side a little.

After that save a few bucks and get that performance muffler and a smooth bend tail pipe to further complement the better flow from the headers.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

killian96ss wrote:You have access to a mandrel bender? 8) Can you program it to make anything you want?

Steve
It's a old manual converted to Hydraulic. We mainly use it to bend up smaller diameter DOM, and 4130 DOM tubing for chassis fab stuff.....only used it a few times to bend exhaust tubing.......We've also just bought the bends, and cut/pieced the exhaust togethor.

www.jsmanufacturing.com <---owned by a good friend of mine, and has all the "cool tools"
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I read all the posts and It seems like their are quite a bit of choices and differences so I'm going to hit my local muffler shop that I've heard that is good and report back to what they recommend and see what you guys think.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ace wrote:...I'm going to hit my local muffler shop that I've heard that is good and report back to what they recommend...
An excellent choice! :bow: They will know what works for your area, and any gains they have seen in their systems.
You are wise :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Ok so I stopped by the shop. Duals will be between 350 and 380. Yikes! A single set up will be about $270.00. This is either using a flowmaster muffler or a Magnaflow. 2.5" or 3" is the same price on the single. They said 3" duals probably wouldn't work or may be difficult. They said the best and loudest sound will come from the flowmaster but the magnaflow will have the best performance and less sound. They then mentioned they could just change out the muffler and the exit pipe for about $130 to $150.00. Now I started to talk about Stainless steel and that added about $125.00 on top the prices. So I asked about the ones they use and they use Aluminized which he said in our climate will last 3 to 4 years. Kinda makes you appreciate the fact that GM put a stainless system on our trucks stock. I still need to think this one through and check out another shop too.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

ace wrote:I still need to think this one through and check out another shop too.
Definitely a good idea! :D Get as many price quotes as you can. :wink: It sounds like you should consider getting a stainless muffler and tailpipe(s) so you can enjoy you exhaust longer than 3 years. :shock:

Steve
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

haha, back to the genius of the $20/20 minute exhaust idea. in 3 years you only have to invest another 20 bucks, plus you still retain the GM stainless pipes everywhere else.
:D
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Bwenny, it was surprising to me but one of the shops i visited suggested maybe going without the muffler like you said. I'm considering a lot of things. I see dynomax has a pretty inexpensive bolt on kit for our trucks, magnaflow has an expensive one, and flowmaster I keep finding it's loud but a lot of opinions say the sound isn't as good. I don't know about you guys but mod decisions drive me crazy sometimes.
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I just wanted to finish this thread. I went with the exhaust like you guys suggested and It has been the best mod I have done. Everyday I notice the difference. I feel I have some passing power finally too since I did this too.
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

Exhaust mod by itself at best only gives you a couple horsepower.

The best bank for the buck mod is a FIPK. And these other people who argue about just save your money and swiss the air box instead of getting a FIPK, I say to you show me the performance gain.
No one has a before and after dyno of doing that mod.

My 2 cents.
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]