Toy for the Computer Geek \ Gear Head ( Scan gauge II )

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Toy for the Computer Geek \ Gear Head ( Scan gauge II )

Post by daevans315 »

"As a general rule geeks like to have access to as much data and statistics as possible. We pretty much figure this applies to a geek's motor vehicle as well. So, to allow you to access extra information about your car we would like to introduce the ScanGauge II Automotive Computer. This gadget is easy to install and provides a set of digital gauges, a comprehensive trip computer, and an engine trouble code scan tool.

The digital gauges mode displays four different properties on the screen (for example, fuel economy, battery voltage, coolant temperature, and engine speed). The trip computer tracks your vehicle's maximum speed, average speed, driving time, driving distance, trip fuel economy and several other pieces of trip data. The engine trouble code scan tool lets you read standard engine trouble codes as well as clear the "check engine" light and other warning lamps. "

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electr ... 6/?cpg=32H

I'm trying to figgure out why I need this... I already know why I want it. :wink:
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

While a cool gadget I think is certainly a nicer overall product. About $100 more expensive than the Think Geeks deal, but certainly a better fit into the the interior IMO.

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/GMtech.html
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Toy for the Computer Geek \ Gear Head

Post by Walt »

daevans315 wrote:"As a general rule geeks like to have access to as much data and statistics as possible. We pretty much figure this applies to a geek's motor vehicle as well. So, to allow you to access extra information about your car we would like to introduce the ScanGauge II Automotive Computer. This gadget is easy to install and provides a set of digital gauges, a comprehensive trip computer, and an engine trouble code scan tool.

The digital gauges mode displays four different properties on the screen (for example, fuel economy, battery voltage, coolant temperature, and engine speed). The trip computer tracks your vehicle's maximum speed, average speed, driving time, driving distance, trip fuel economy and several other pieces of trip data. The engine trouble code scan tool lets you read standard engine trouble codes as well as clear the "check engine" light and other warning lamps. "

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electr ... 6/?cpg=32H

I'm trying to figgure out why I need this... I already know why I want it. :wink:
I have the original scan guage. Excellent piece of equipment. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Cool find, I like it. Just might be my next mod. :nana:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

That is pretty cool

would be helpful for not only yourself but you could use it on your friend's cars too when they ask you why their engine light is on.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Scan Gauge II - Trip Computer - Digital Gauges - Scan Tool
$169.95 shipped

Looks like a good investment. Too bad trans temp is not offered.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, I didn't have my "money pit" XJ I would jump on on one of those for sure. Watching your mpg drop while driving would teach you to drive conservatively until muscle memory is learned. It would pay for itself in short order IMO.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

HenryJ wrote:
Looks like a good investment. Too bad trans temp is not offered.
I agreed so I sent them an email asking if they would be adding a transmission temp option.
We are adding a feature to the next software release that will let you add vehicle specific gauges for your vehicle. We will show on our site how to add it for Fords, GMs and DCX vehicles with more to follow as available. It should start shipping in June, and all ScanGaugeIIs already out there can be reprogrammed to add it.

Ron
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

f9k9 wrote:Watching your mpg drop while driving would teach you to drive conservatively
that is true. both my grand prix and the new silverado have this digital read out. conciously or not, when you see that MPG drop after getting on it, you begin to drive more conservatively. it's also nice to see what MPG you're getting when cruising, although i always double check it at the pump the old fashion way. i've found the read out always seems to be a bit optimistic :lol:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Group Buy $149.95

Ends today. Includes shipping.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Another group buy that ends 5-20-2007 : Customtacos.com, Scangauge II Group Buy $149.95 shipped

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Another group buy that ends 5-20-2007 : Customtacos.com, Scangauge II Group Buy $149.95 shipped
I am dying to get one but, I am only allowed to repair one or mod one at a time 8)

I am already having 2 pieces for a "repair" delivered to work to avoid a conflict. I have to pass a second time :roll:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Well How about putting it in her car? :lol: That way you can borrow it for yours once in a while :evil:

I could not resist any longer. I really wish I had one before I installed the transmission temperature gauge. This will serve many uses.

I want it for the ability to scan and clear codes on a trip with ease.
Having the IAT readings and a few others at the touch of a button will be great, as will the digital speedometer and volt meter.
I think I will find it very useful. I want to keep it easily swappable to other vehicles for diagnostics, or just for a trip in the wifes car.

It is less than the price of two analog gauges and you get so much more. I just couldn't hold out any longer :cry:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Well How about putting it in her car? :lol: .............
Not a bad thought :wink: I'll have to explore that :D But, we are talking about the same woman that when I was trying to set up the memory power seats in the CC for her, I asked how the mirrors were. She advised me......"Oh, I never use those" :bonk:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine arrived today! I'll be trying it out tomorrow :woohoo:

The cable can be attached from the back or side. I like that! Three sides available to attach the included velcro.

Two sets of self adhesive velcro were included and will be handy. That way I can set up the wifes car to mount it as well.

Quick shipping good looking product. Things are off to a good start.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I emailed requesting information on adding the transmission temperature to the gauge. This was the response:
Linear-Logic wrote:We will soon be coming out with a new program in the ScanGaugeII that will
allow you to set it up to measure transmission temperature. If you already
have a ScanGaugeII, you will be able to send it in to be reprogrammed to add
the new features.

Ron

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Linear-Logic wrote:Don't worry, any new features we add to the ScanGaugeII can be added to yours. We are working on an interface accessory for the ScanGaugeII. If you buy the interface, it includes an upgrade of the ScanGaugeII that adds the interface program to it. It will also add any new features at that time.

The interface is a unit with memory and processing power itself. It has a cable that plugs into the unused connector on the ScanGaugeII and another that plugs into a USB port on a computer. They don't have to both be plugged in at the same time.

The interface will use SD Cards for data storage. You can plug it in to the ScanGauge for logging and for other upload/download tasks. It can be removed from the vehicle and taken to a computer for data transfers.

The ScanGaugeII has all the hardware needed for the interface, but will need an upgrade of its program to use it. The Upgrade is free when you purchase the interface.

Price has not been finalized yet. It is expected to be under $100. This will also include the software for a windows based computer.

I will send you an e-mail when it is to be offered for sale.

Ron

- ThunderII KE7CSK