This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Removing MAFS

Post by killian96ss »

Split topic-HJ
2kwik4u wrote:As for the direction my truck will be heading. I'll be removing the MAF, and putting it on the shelf when I get my copy of EFILive. I'll be going to a complete speed density tune, and ignoring the MAF all togethor. The MAF is there to make small corrections, and if you have a good base SD tune, you don't need it IMO.
Can you do this and still maintain the same emissions, or will they go up due to less PCM control? How soon do you plan on doing this to your truck? :D

Steve
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

killian96ss wrote:Can you do this and still maintain the same emissions, or will they go up due to less PCM control? How soon do you plan on doing this to your truck? :D

Steve
The PCM will have the same control.

The BLM's learn from the O2 readings not the MAF readings.

During initial tuning you set it to Open loop so that the PCM is not using the O2 sensors at all, and it is simply running off your lookup tables. You change the values in the lookup tables to get the AFR where you want it. Once you have your tune ironed out, you set it BACK to closed loop operation, and the O2's will start effecting the BLM's and it will "self tune" or "Learn" itself back some during cruise, and part throttle.......The MAF is a measuring device, not an altering device.

If anything you might have LESS emissions with the better tune, depending what you setup your target AFR's for.

I'm looking to get moving on this in the next month or two.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

2kwik4u wrote:If anything you might have LESS emissions with the better tune, depending what you setup your target AFR's for.

I'm looking to get moving on this in the next month or two.
Very nice! :thumb: After you get it tuned, be sure to post your results. :D

Steve
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

killian96ss wrote:Very nice! :thumb: After you get it tuned, be sure to post your results. :D

Steve
I'm not expecting huge results from the tune....5-10hp MAYBE....if that.....I am expecting to get some decent results from tuning the tranny though. SHift times and firmness should be greatly improved.

Guys on S-seriesforum.com have dropped .5 off thier ET by removal of torque management alone.....but thats whole nother thread in itself :D
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]