Fuel / Gas Door

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Fuel / Gas Door

Post by Steve2003 »

I want to get a chrome gas door for my cc, not a cover. Does anyone know if our gas doors are the same as regular S-10's? Does anyone have one on their cc? Who has them, best deals, etc. Thanks for any info! :D
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I asked Stylin' Concepts about a black door and they referred me to the manufacturer. The manufacturer advised they would, Steve. I explained the Brazillian Isuzu bed and and they whole nine yards and he stated that they would. Bottom line is, I don't know for sure but, I would ask them. I should have kept the email but, disn't. Pick out the one you like at stylin concepts and email them that question. Am sure that they will provide an email address or phone number for you to write or call.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

You could always just get your factory door chromed. I used to take various items down to Oakland where there are several plating companies. I would bet So Cal has some plating shops as well. The cost would be around $30-$50 for that small of an item. The more things you get chromed at one time, the better the price. :D

Steve
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

try calling this place
ALLSALES
LILDEVIL
TRUCKCHAMP
SFX
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Be careful ordering an S10 fuel door since we don't have an S10 bed like f9k9 pointed out. We have an Isuzu bed. I don't know if the fuel door is also Isuzu. :?

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:Be careful ordering an S10 fuel door since we don't have an S10 bed like f9k9 pointed out. We have an Isuzu bed. I don't know if the fuel door is also Isuzu. :?

Steve
When I called, I was asked how many fasteners for the attachment of the filler tube to the bed. What ever I told him was a match and he said it would work. Get a count of your screws/nuts before you call or email. My CC is still at the shop or I'd save you a little shoe leather. :D

I dealt with All Sales Billet Gas Doors and the link I provided had the best prices a couple of months ago.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am pretty sure the door will have to be for a S-series crewcab only.
The door is in the "Isuzu bulge". The rest of the S-10 line have a flat door.
I don't think even the Hombre door would work since it may be farther forward and flat like the rest of the s-series trucks.

If you take their word and buy one make darn sure that returning it will not be a hassle and cost you much.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I have had a standard s-10 door and it didnt fit. while your going billet what about the 3rd brake light and the bowtie in the grille?
Last edited by jeff024 on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:I am pretty sure the door will have to be for a S-series crewcab only.
The door is in the "Isuzu bulge". The rest of the S-10 line have a flat door.
I don't think even the Hombre door would work since it may be farther forward and flat like the rest of the s-series trucks.

If you take their word and buy one make darn sure that returning it will not be a hassle and cost you much.
Any volunteers? I don't even wanna type the "g" word with it's current price :shock:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

How about using some vinyl? A decal shop should be able to fix you up with some chrome vinyl.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

HenryJ wrote:How about using some vinyl? A decal shop should be able to fix you up with some chrome vinyl.
just aint the same as the real thing
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

OK I found a 2000 S10 extended cab to compare gas doors. The S10 extended gas door is about 1/16th smaller than ours. All the hinges and mechanisms are all identical so I thought this should work. Then I read HJ's post about the bulge and he is right! There definitely is a bulge in our doors. My next option is to take the door off of the 2000 S10 and put it on mine and see what it looks like or if it will even fit. So far I think Steve has the best idea :idea: , there are all kinds of chrome shops around here that will do just about anything you would ever need. I think this will probably be my best shot and would be at least half the cost. Thanks for all the info, anymore idea's would be greatly appreciated. :D

I am out of here, have to get my boat ready. After not being able to take it out all winter I am ready! It's supposed to be 82 degrees tomorrow. No youngins this time, no wakeboarding, no tubing, just me and Marsha a nice relaxing day on the lake and a little bit of fishing. 8)

Diamond Valley lake
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Here's a custom gas door, didn't cost anything. And still functional :lol:

[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

killian96ss wrote:You could always just get your factory door chromed. I used to take various items down to Oakland where there are several plating companies.
I Dropped my gas door off today at Hoak Bros plating in SanBernardino Ca, they said it would cost $20.00 to chrome ( cheap enough for me) and they said it would take about a weak depending on how long it would take to get the paint off. :? What do they do that takes so long to get the paint off? :shrug: I wasn't sure I would like it just chromed because I like the look of the billet doors, so I put a piece of foil over the door and smoothed it out real good and then put it on my truck, it looked like the chrome is going to be a good choice. :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve, I don't know about "nowadays" but, back in my youth we used brake fluid to strip the paint off our tanks (motorcycle fuel tanks). I really don't know much about applying chrome but, that does seems like an extra effort to prepare it to be chromed.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

They will probably use a chemical aircraft paint stripper to remove the paint before plating. They sell this stuff at most auto parts stores, and it's nasty stuff. You can spray some on a car and just watch the paint bubble up and fall off. :shock: Don't ever breathe any of this stuff or get it on your skin, it burns like hell. :twisted: Don't ask me how I know. :lol: After the paint has been stripped off they will buff and polish the door to get a smooth surface then they will nickel plate the door before chrome plating it. The buffing and polishing process takes the longest of any of the steps. One thing a lot of people don't know about chrome plating is the nickel plating process before chroming. If you have ever heard the term double or triple chrome plated, all it really means is that there were 2 coats of nickel for double plated and 3 coats of nickel for triple plated. Each extra coat of nickel provides a smoother surface for the chrome to adhere to which makes it appear more reflective or mirror like. :wink: Steve, be sure to post pics as soon as it's done! :D

Steve
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

The crew cab gas door is part # 15761473. Rather than buy all the strippers buy a new door. If you can get it wholesale it's like $24. Alot less hassle. You could also find a metal shop the does water jet cutting and have them cut out a cover and ring out of aluminum, then bent it to the curvature of the door and bed. Then polish.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

rick wrote:The crew cab gas door is part # 15761473. Rather than buy all the strippers buy a new door. If you can get it wholesale it's like $24. Alot less hassle. You could also find a metal shop the does water jet cutting and have them cut out a cover and ring out of aluminum, then bent it to the curvature of the door and bed. Then polish.

The plating company is doing every thing for $20.00. I took my door off earlier this weak and took it to them today.

killian96ss, I will post pictures as soon as I get it back and on my truck.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I'm happy :D and at the fraction of the price of a billet...and besides they don't even make them for our trucks.

Thanks Steve for the great idea :thumb:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

That looks better than I thought it would, and it doesn't have that ricer look that the other billet doors have. 8) BTW, the truck's looking real nice! :D

Steve
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I think the gas door is going to blend in really well with the chrome door handles...they are do to arrive tomorrow.
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Take some pics of those door handles, I have been thinking about getting them.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It does look really good. Must be nice to add chrome to a truck instead of black like I have to do to mine :shock: