I have a plan...for my roof rack

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

I have a plan...for my roof rack

Post by Walt »

I've been bit hard by the modding bug again.

I bought a Roofrack on Ebay from a 4 door 2000 Blazer last year, and never put it on. I primered it black, and it's still ready to receive the gloss black coat. But I need a little info. I have to cut/trim the side rails to fit my roof. Could any of you Zr5 guys measure your side rails for me? I would really appreciate it :D

Now....on to my plan!

I'm sure many of you have seen the 6" round lights mounted to the front crossbar of a stock roof rack. This is part one of my mod. I do have a few reservations.... one being that I don't want it to look totally stupid. I mean I like the way it looks on alot of the Zr2's, but I don't know how it'll look on my truck....may have to do some photochopping.

I also want to mount my spare tire on top of the roof rack, but again, I don't want this to look stupid. I'm also concerned about how this might affect gas mileage.

I don't have any plans to mount anything else up there. My hilift is mounted inside my toolbox, as is my shovel and everything else.

I don't want one of those safari type racks, because I think they look strange if the truck is not lifted with large tires.

Here's a diagram of what I'm thinking about. I will need to purchase a third crossbar for this, as well as fab my own tire mount.

Any suggestions?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

roof rack/mods to

Post by mjmcdowell »

Walt, Ihave a basket mounted on "Yakama" cross bars and towers, Never thought it looked out of place, personal pref. any how. I would advise you to find out how much weight you are EVER going to carry and make sure that your components will hold it and allow for more than you will actually carry, consider windage and the possibility of being top heavy also. I have an extra fire ext. flood light and straps for mounting a 2.5 gal. " Wedco" gas can (these by the way are the best in metal cans they are the NATO ones) in the winter I also have a short handle emergency show shovel secured with the net. When I go camping in the summer sleeping pads/bags in water proof bags and some times the tent and ground cloth ride up there. All in all I have found being able to carry things up top very useful, stay safe, mjmcdowell
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Have any pics?
--Walt
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

hmm... how much weight can those cross bows support? a stock tire and rim has got to be close to 50lbs. You may need to build a stronger bow to support the tire mount.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The roof rack is supposed to be able to hold a max weight of 100 pounds.

The crossbars also have a slight upward bow as well, which I think would help their capacity.
--Walt
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

roof rack/mods to

Post by mjmcdowell »

Sorry.... no photos....yet.....soon..... just have to learn to post, then I have a bunch of the CC and my acessories and mods,mjm
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

can you email me a pic of your truck with the rack? I'm really curious to see how it looks :)

my email addy is in my profile.
--Walt
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

We had our full size spare on a 2001 two-door blazer mounted up on the roof rack. It held just fine. I dont believe the weight should be an issue. We got 24mpg (highway) with the tire on the roof on our trip. I don't think the mileage was lowered much at all.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

So can anyone measure their side bars on their roof rack for me? :)
--Walt
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Ok Walt here ya go.... They are 31" and 7/8ths long. That is the only the bars. Disclaimer*** my rack is an OEM from a 2002 2 door blazer. It fit just right, but I don't know if its the same part no. as the OEM for the ZR5 crew.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Cool Thanks man!
--Walt
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I am interested to see how you mount and where you run the wires for the 6" round lights on top . Are you going to have to drill holes in your roof for the wires ? or run them down the back in between the cab and box ?
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: I have a plan...for my roof rack

Post by F9K9 »

wamason wrote:I've been bit hard by the modding bug again..........
I have an ideaImage

I have an e-brake that needs rigged up, Skidz flares gathering dust, an LS-1 e-fan parked next to the flares (with all parts for the installations) and will buy the beer if, you want to show me how real men "mod" outdoors at this time of year. Almost forgotImage. I have the black centers and all the related parts here if, you get boredImage
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

:lol: After putting my flares on, I don't think I ever want to have to do that again :lol: I guess it was just a bad day, not just the flares.

Tell ya what Reed, send me those black centers and I'll paint'em for ya :D hehe Or if you want to drive down, I could set aside a Saturday to do everything :lol:
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If you can handle that in a Saturday, I may take you up on it. :lol:

The centers are in good shape :thumb:

I worked them over with a little Colgate and they have no need for paint. Very bright and shiny 8)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yea, I'm pretty sure I can do it all in a Saturday. but just remember that I think in 24 hour days :lol: So we may be working from dark till dark :D
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WE?Image
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

As much of a real man as I am, I can't do all that by myself in a day :) Need somebody to keep hot chocolate coming :lol:
--Walt
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Oh yea....and you have to promise not to look at the cuts I'll be making to your fenders. They'll probably make you want to cry... Better yet, I'll start at 4 or 5 in the morning with the cutting, and you can join me about eight :)
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

wamason wrote:As much of a real man as I am, I can't do all that by myself in a day :) Need somebody to keep hot chocolate coming :lol:
Hot Chocalate??Image
ImageImage
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Y not? :D

Hmm....supposed to rain this Saturday. I can deal with cold, but can't deal with the rain, unless I'm 4wheeler riding :D

So now what's wrong with hot chocolate?
--Walt
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

i remember seeing a rack and lights on warnoffroad's truck imagestation gallery
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yea....I think it looks awesome on Warn's, but then again, his truck is far from stock. I don't want anything that large on top of my truck permanently, unless I were go with a SL or SFA, because I think it looks top heavy :)

I'm planning on making the front light bar and lights easily removable incase I have to go into a parking garage with a low ceiling. I'll probably use something similar to a 4 wire trailer hookup or something close, so that it's only one plug. Then all I have to do is unscrew each side, pull the plug, and stow the bar and lights in my back seat.
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

How is this spare tire mod progressing? Am sure the SC has top priority right now but, am interested. I traded my stock radiator today for two cross members, an IAT and harness pluss many more salvage items when he has them in the future. I found leather powered seats, already have them, maybe a complete Bravada OH console (not for sure). He's going to call me if a late model Z comes along and offer the rear end to me first at a substantial discount. :D
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

reed, I haven't had a chance to mess with it anymore. the sc will have to wait a while too
because of the move and the new baby :) the roofrack will probably be done sooner since I can work on it on my lunch breaks at work. the sc is a bit more involved I think :lol:

let me know how the z rear end swap goes :D
--Walt