Getting a new muffler

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Getting a new muffler

Post by Walt »

Alrighty....I posted a similar topic looking for muffler recommendations here a while back, and at zr2.com recently. Now I have another question. Steve(killian96ss) has persuaded me to go with a Flowmaster 50 series Force 2 muffler. And since Steve frequents here alot more than he does on Zr2, I figured I'd start a topic up :)

I don't really want to buy the whole exhaust system. I'd prefer to just buy the muffler that will bolt up to the stock exhaust system with minor modifications that could be easily performed by a decent welder.

I've seen the 50 series flowmasters on summit, but I need to know about inlet and outlet diameters, offsets, and muffler sizes to fit my truck. BTW, I'm not running duals, just a single pipe. I may add a nice tip later, but for now just the muffler :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The stock muffler has an offset 2-1/2" inlet with a center 2-1/4" outlet. You want to get a muffler with an offset inlet and a center outlet. The inlet and outlet size is up to you. If you go with a 3" I/O then you will also need an adapter for the muffler inlet to go from 2-1/2" to 3". Another thing to keep in mind is that when you go to an exhaust shop and have them custom bend pipes you will end up with a smaller diameter pipe in the bend areas because of the way pipe benders crimp the tubing in order to bend it. For example if you get a 3" tailpipe put on, you will end up with a 2-1/2" overall tailpipe. Mandrel bent systems are much nicer and flow better. This is why I modified the Flowmaster Force II system to fit my Crew. The entire cat back system is mandrel bent and will flow better than a 3" hydraulic bent exhaust system. :D To sum this up I would say if you plan on having a shop bend the tailpipe for you then make sure you get a 3" I/O Flowmaster. :wink:

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Alright, if I get a 3" I/O muffler, can the shop still weld it to my existing stock pipes somehow and leave me the option of going to larger pipes later?
--Walt
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

will this create more back pressure?
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

wamason wrote:Alright, if I get a 3" I/O muffler, can the shop still weld it to my existing stock pipes somehow and leave me the option of going to larger pipes later?
Yes, they should be able to hook up a 3' I/O muffler to your existing exhaust pipes with adapters, however don't forget that the stock tailpipe is only 2-1/4" in diameter which will hurt the performance of any muffler you put on. Your best bet would be to get the 3" I/O muffler and have the exhaust shop weld in a 3" tailpipe. As far as getting a quiet Flowmaster the 70 series Big Block II muffler is the quietest, followed by the 50 series Big Block, and then the 50 series SUV, etc. :wink:

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

jeff024 wrote:will this create more back pressure?
Yes, an aftermarket muffler with the stock 2-1/4" tailpipe will create unnecessary back pressure. :(

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

So in other words, it wouldn't be worth it to change the muffler alone. I need to get 3" pipe from the cat back?
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

wamason wrote:So in other words, it wouldn't be worth it to change the muffler alone. I need to get 3" pipe from the cat back?
Any replacement muffler should give you more power even with the stock tailpipe, but if you want your new muffler to perform at it's best then I would have the shop do a 3" pipe from the rear of muffler to the stock exit location. :D The pipe leaving the cat is already 2-1/2" so a bigger pipe there would not be needed. All you need a 3" I/O muffler, a 2-1/2" ID to 3" OD adapter, and 3" tubing for the rear tailpipe. The shop will have the adapter and tubing so all you need to buy is the muffler. :wink:

Steve
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

wamason wrote:So in other words, it wouldn't be worth it to change the muffler alone. I need to get 3" pipe from the cat back?
You don't HAVE to.

Replacing the muffler with a 3" one but leaving the stock tailpipe will not increase back pressure and it will lower it from stock.

But, not replacing the tailpipe with a mandrel bent one will still have more backpressure than getting a nice 3" one done.

Is it worth the extra money? Thats up to you.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

If going with duals can they bend the 3" pipe to go over the rear axle. I know a buddy just got duals on his full size and they did not want to bend 3" to even go around the spare tire, let alone the tight axle bends on our cc. Any opinions on duals? I want it to purr but not overboard. I was told that i could possably puy in a glasspacked muffler after the cat then "Y" it, possibly using stock OD pipe. :?: :?: :?:
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I know from experience that a glasspack on a V-6 isn't going to sound the best :) That's why I'm looking for alternatives that are quieter. I know I'll never be fully satisfied with the sound of a V-6, but if I can get a bit of performance without much noise, I'll do it :D
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

3" duals would be overkill, and would probably hurt performance. If you want to run duals get a 2-1/2" offset inlet muffler with either 2-1/4" or 2-1/2" dual outlets. If you want glasspacks I know Jegs make a system that should work for the CC. Basically their system replaces the stock muffler with a Y-pipe and then the chrome tips have glasspacks built into them, or you could just put 1 glasspack after the cat, then split the exhaust with a Y-pipe, and then run 2-1/4" or 2-1/2" pipes to the back. :wink:

Steve
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

Would the glasspacked be needed? Like I said I want it to SOUND good and not mess up any performance. Whats the best way to go?
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I think a glass pack would sound more like a ricer. Maybe Steve can recommend something that would give you a nice throaty sound.
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

doughboy5499 wrote:Would the glasspacked be needed? Like I said I want it to SOUND good and not mess up any performance. Whats the best way to go?
Glasspacks are not needed, they are just another option instead of a muffler. As far as what sounds good, this is really a personal preference since all performance mufflers sound different. Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Spintech, and Dynomax are all good mufflers. Flowmaster just seems to be the most popular. I think most people on this forum and on the ZR2 forum are using a Flowmaster 40 series delta flow muffler. I have not personally heard an S10 with that muffler, but most seem to be happy with the sound. :D I have always wondered what a Flowmaster Super 40 would sound like on an S10. I have the Super 40's on my SS and they sound great, but they are a little loud. 8) The problem with our V6 is that with any good muffler the sound kind of turns into a blur above 2500 rpm. :roll: A dual outlet muffler seems to make the V6 sound more like a V8, but it still turns into a blur at the same rpm. :roll:

Steve