Painting Bumpers and chrome bar across grille

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Painting Bumpers and chrome bar across grille

Post by Walt »

I've been thinking about getting my front and rear bumpers painted black, or possibly buying some that are either black, or body colored. My question is, would it be difficult to paint the bumpers since they're chrome? Also, would it be better to just have a body shop do it?

I'm also looking to do the same to the chrome bar that stretches across the grille.

Thanks1
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

You can paint over the chrome, it's like painting over any other surface its all it the prep. Wash if first with wax and grease remover or if you don't have that use powdered Tide. I would then scuff it with 200 grit for the first cut then a surface sand of 400 after that. Do not to miss a single area and then spray it with a self etching primer. Heavy enough to fill in the sand marks. If you use a couple of coats let dry and sand with 400 and prime again. The final sanding should be 600 grit. Then paint your color. Painted bumpers can be scuff with a 400 to 600 grit then paint. Take your time and don't rush it. Everyone may have there own ideas on how to prep and paint but I believe this might be the best explanation for the do it you selfer.
A body shop might charge a couple of hundred dollars to paint including the removal and installation. It can become expensive since it is mostly labor. You can do it yourself, the best advice is take you time and don't rush it. You have to left the primer and paint coatings to dry over night between coats.
Last edited by rick on Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

Also you may want to check into powder-coating, the price of that has really come down. I had an s-10 bumper powder coated for 60.00, far less that buying the materials to paint it yourself.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Hmmm....powdercoating sounds like the better option. I'll check it out.

Thanks rick :)
--Walt
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

could always have them lineXed
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Thought about that too Jeff, but I think I want more of a painted appearance. I've also considered lineX'ing the rocker panels, but ended up deciding against it....again, I'd like more of a painted look :)
--Walt
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I have been think about having the hard cover I got from Jim linxed
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

Find someone that has a sandblaster and do your bumper and the grill strip. then paint it or take to a body shop.
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Careful with that grille strip...it's plastic. Sandblasting might damage it. Self-etch primer might not work on that wither. You may need a plastic adhesion promoter on it after the scuff sand to get paint to stick.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]