Pics of my truck with flares

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Pics of my truck with flares

Post by Walt »

Here ya go. And no, I haven't washed my truck since I put the flares on. I will post my thoughts on the flares later.

--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

[Barry White voice]Ohh Yeahh...[/voice] 8)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

looks good , but they look wider that others I have seen . Are they different ?
I thought that the flares where about the same width as a ZR2 flare . Doesn't matter though they look good .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

Nice! Looks frickin sweet :)
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

wait thoughts? lol
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

i really like the flares... i'm still waiting for mine to come it. after looking at your pictures i'm even more excited. :D
[size=75]2002 S-10 Zr5 with: 6" superlift, 15" black rockcrawler rims, Airaid Intake, and 33 X 12.50 BF Goodrich Mud terrian Tires. Skidz Cut-out Flares[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

bubaloo1983 wrote:wait thoughts? lol
Just my thoughts on the installation and everything. I'll post when I have more time :)
--Walt
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

HenryJ wrote:[Barry White voice]Ohh Yeahh...[/voice] 8)
:lol: :thumb: Some of the younger guys might not know who Barry White is! but when I read this :schwing: I could just here his voice! :D looks great wamason :rock:

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

gracias seniors :lol:
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:thumb:

Now I want to get mine on but, with temps in the teens I'd have to pay to have it done. Dunno, we'll see after my hood is done 8)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote::thumb:

Now I want to get mine on but, with temps in the teens I'd have to pay to have it done. Dunno, we'll see after my hood is done 8)
Come on now! I worked till midnight with temps in the low 20's :)

I had frost forming on my tools when I laid them down. I actually started at 1PM, and finished at 1AM. The problem was that I got sidetracked big time in between. But I was determined to get them done. I didn't want to go to work the next day with no flares on the rear :lol:
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

<
<
<
<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Wussy :!:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's a question for all of you who know more about this than I do, which should be most of you. I know that running a 31x10.5x15 is ok a 7" wheel, but what about a 11.5" wide tire? I want to eventually go with a 32x11.5x15 tire. I'll probably get the rock crawler wheels first. Should I get 7 or 8 inch wide wheels?
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote: Should I get 7 or 8 inch wide wheels?
8 inch wide wheels.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

That truck looks sweet. :thumb:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

f9k9 wrote:

Now I want to get mine on but...........
Hurry up..J/K :lol:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

border man wrote:That truck looks sweet. :thumb:
Thanks man!
--Walt
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

friggin pimp....i liek it!
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Pics of my truck with flares

Post by gocntry »

wamason wrote:Here ya go....
Looks Very Nice Wamason :D, Can't Wait Till I Get Mine On But It's An After Christmas Job For Me.
F9K9 wrote:Now I want to get mine on but, with temps in the teens I'd have to pay to have it done.
No A Prob F9K9 Come On Over And We'll Do The Flares Here! I Have The Solution To Your Problem...

Only Problem With That Is It Has A 15 Gallon Tank And Kerosene Is $3.00 A Gallon Here :shock:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

gocntry wrote:..........No A Prob F9K9 Come On Over And We'll Do The Flares Here! I Have The Solution To Your Problem...
Thanks for the offer :D

I would but, I just looked it up on Street Atlas 2006 and it's close to 1200 miles round trip. That's over 60 gallons of gas. Might be able to get it done for what the gas would cost :wink:
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Hopefully I'll be installing mine in the next couple of weeks. It sucks when your busy and you keep walking past those flares, I think they are talking to me!
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Ok, now for my thoughts on the flares and the install...

Nothing was overly difficult, but I did run into a few things that made me want to curse GM. The flares needed some trimming, mostly on the back of each flare, but it wasn't bad. I used the old edge trim. Gonna see how that works out. If it messes up, I'll just get the new stuff.

Cutting the passenger side front took forever because I *stupid* forgot to remove the inner bolt, so I ended up cutting right through it :D

Cutting the back was the easiest--after I got those stupid factory flares off! After getting everything off and screaming a few times, I saw that I went about totally the wrong way. I drilled out the rivets on the bottom of the flare, then they came right off. Which left the metal brackets still attached to the fender. Then I thought "what idiot at GM would use rivets on these too!" So I began to drill those out. After about 30 minutes of drilling one rivet, the nut from the inside fell out and I realized that all I had to do was remove the nuts from the inside of the fender *stupid*.

There are some small gaps at the rear of each fender, which I will fix later. They're not noticeable, especially with the trim on.

Overall, I think my truck looks 100% better than before. Thanks Justin!!
--Walt
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

f9k9 wrote:
gocntry wrote:..........No A Prob F9K9 Come On Over And We'll Do The Flares Here! I Have The Solution To Your Problem...
Thanks for the offer :D

I would but, I just looked it up on Street Atlas 2006 and it's close to 1200 miles round trip. That's over 60 gallons of gas. Might be able to get it done for what the gas would cost :wink:
[Homer Simpson Voice] DOH!.. [/Homer Simpson Voice] Uhh Guess I Didnt Realize It Was Quite THAT Far. :lol: But Your Welcome To Stop By Anytime Your In The Area....
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Alright, here be my next plan. I'm going with Cragar D-Window Series 342 wheels, 15x8, with 4 inches of backspacing. I will be removing the front and rear spacers, and putting the 2" spacers on the rear. So my front track will remain the same as it is now, but my rear track will gain another inch on each side, to better match up with the flares :D I'll just have to watch out for those high articulation situations.... :lol:
--Walt
doughboy

Post by doughboy »

they look great, are you going to paint them or leave them black?
[size=75]2002 s-10 crew,stock except for the coors light.[/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

truck looks sweet wamason :thumb:
are those 31X10.50's?

Looks like a ZR-crew. congrats man!
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yes, I plan on leaving them black. One day I'm going to get the lower part of the body painted with spray on bedliner material (black) to match.

And, yes those are 31x10.5x15's, which will (hopefully) be replaced by 32x11.5x15's one day :)
--Walt
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Hey WAmason, what did you use to cut? A cut-off wheel or a recipricating saw?
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

bwenny247 wrote:Looks like a ZR-crew.
haha... there should be a RPO type code for the Marvelous Mystery Lift so that we could have our own decals like the ZR2, ZR5, or Z71... Make it the ZR4 (4 door) or ZRC (Crew), ore maybe a ZR-crew decal would look nice....
but i digress, wamason, ride looks awesome! I can't wait until my tread wears down on my tires so i can replace them!
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I might check with DecalKing, they made my 4x4 decals. I think one that said:
Highrider
Crew

would be kinda neat if it was in smaller letters.

I did use a reciprocating saw. DO NOT attemp this mod with anything else!!! Please!!! Save yourself the trouble!!! :lol:
--Walt
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Did you cut the front fenders at all? I read another post that you made and wasnt sure what you meant.
T-bone02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by T-bone02 »

what size b/l do you have and what size spacers do you run in the front and back? Truck looks great by the way!!!!!!!! Are those flares the ones that listed in the mods page? No more questions I promise, lol!
[size=75]modified air box, aluminum skid shields, custom sirius radio, 15%tint, powdercoated diamond bed rails/toolbox, mild t-bar crank, Reese class III receiver hitch, 1 3/8 core high capacity radiator[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yea, I did but the front fenders. They're 90% of the reason for doing this mod, so my 31's don't rub :)
Tonysblackcrew wrote:what size b/l do you have and what size spacers do you run in the front and back? Truck looks great by the way!!!!!!!! Are those flares the ones that listed in the mods page? No more questions I promise, lol!
I have a 2" Body Lift, the only size available for CrewCabs that I'm aware of. I have 2" spacers in front, and 3" in back. And yes, they are the flares in the mods page :) My plans are to run Cragar RockCrawler wheels, with 4" backspacing. In which case I'll remove the 3" spacers all together, and take the 2" spacers off the front and put them on the back, since I think the back wheels could stand sitting out even a bit further to match the flares :) The sooner I can sell my stock wheels, the sooner I'll be getting rock crawlers :D
--Walt
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

I have a question for you guys. On the front flare, are you guys just cutting the fender and not the part where the wheel liner bolts to? HJ's pictures are hard to see that part of the truck. Any info will be greatly appriciated. Thanks!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

That's part of the fender. I cut off the lowest bolt hole, but the rest are still there. Once you get under there and peel back the fender lining, you'll get a rough idea of what has to be done.
--Walt