just got my cc

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

RA
Regular
Regular

just got my cc

Post by RA »

hello, man what a great site my buddy told me about it its super. i just bought my cc about 3 weeks ago i really like it but i hunt alot and have already ran into problems with the ground clearance. i already bought a 2" bl but have yet to put it on, plan to shorty. my cc came with a westin grill guard and tube steps i was wandering if anyone had any do's or don'ts before i put the bl on.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

For what it's worth, here's my take on ground clearance.

First off, a body lift alone will do nothing to increase ground clearance, except increase your approach and departure angles.

If you want to get ground clearance as cheaply as possible, check out some of HenryJ's posts in the Tires/Lifts/Suspension forum. I am currently running the same setup, I just haven't changed tire sizes yet.

This is what he is running:
PA192 2" Body Lift - $200 give or take
Torsion Bar Crank (front) - $55 (alignment cost)
Boise Springworks Kit (rear) - Can't remember ($100+ ?)
Skidz Cutout Fender Flares - $330-375

With the above mods he is able to run BFGoodrich All Terrain KO 33x9.5x15 Tires. The only way you'll fit larger tires is to go with as suspension lift, which is more expensive overall.

I have done all of the above mods except the Boise Springworks kit, and am still running BFGoodrich All Terrain KO 31x10.5x15's.

If you do just the body lift and torsion bar crank, you should be able to fit 31x10.5x15's with minimal rubbing. The Skidz flares really open the fender wells up for the larger tires.

EDIT: One more thing about the body lift. You'll have to find a way to move your brush guard and nerf bars up two inches otherwise they'll look might strange--well, the brush guard will anyways. The nerf bars should be fairly easy to relocate (I've done this myself), but I don't know about the brush guard.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

Welcome, there is allot of good people here and allot of info.

Take your time with the BL and read all steps and don't skip around. Do that and you will really be happy with the results.

I always say GO BIG! :D :wave:
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Welcome RA. Hey Wamason, did you make some brackets for your step bars?
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

inspiration or motivation.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

welcome RA!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
RA
Regular
Regular

Post by RA »

I HAVE READ ALOT OF HJ'S POSTS THERES GREAT INFO THERE. THATS THE DIRECTION I WANT TO GO WITH MY TRUCK. I REALLY LIKE WHAT HE HAS DONE TO HIS.
RA
Regular
Regular

Post by RA »

ONE OTHER THING ABOUT THE TB CRANK I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THAT IS IT EASY TO DO? MY BUDDY IS GOING TO HELP ME WITH THE BL LIFT HE MIGHT KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT IT. HE'S MORE OF A MECHANIC THAN ME. BUT ANY HOW TO INFO WOULD BE SUPER.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

TB Crank how-to

Got to the main page for the site and click on Mod Info - there's a lot of how-to articles there documenting the more common mods weve done.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:wave:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

ok- mods that HJ's done :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

If you can turn a wrench, use a tape measure, drive to an alignment shop, and pay the $55-60, you can do the TB crank.

It should'nt take more than 10-15 minutes.

I'll let someone else posta pic to show you where the bolt you need to turn is. You just jack the front end up, give the bolt a few turns, but don't turn it all the way. Lower that side, and measure from the center of the wheel, to the bottom of the center of the fender opening. Repeat for the other side. Start by turning both bolts on each side the same amount of revolutions. After you jack up the other side, and turn the bolt, lower it and measure. You may have to adjust either side several times to get your measurements to line up correctly. Then take it to an alignment shop, and you're done!

Sonoma915, by bars bolt to the bottom of the front cab body mounts, and the rear cab body mounts/leaf spring bolts. On the front, I found some angle iron and drilled it out, and mounted it inverted to the front cab body mount. On the rear, I left the bracket as is, except I drilled a hole 2" higher, and mounted the bar in that hole. I left the leaf spring reinforment bracket bolted to the bottom hole for strength.
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Modification information page does have most of the commonly done mods. The torsion bar crank is there with pictures.

I think Walt did something like this - Raised Westin step bars I reinforced the rear mount by tieing it to the front spring hanger bolt.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
RA
Regular
Regular

Post by RA »

THANK FOR THE HELP GUYS, I'LL BE PUTTING THE BL LIFT ON THIS WEEKEND. HOPEFULLY EVERYTHING WILL GO GOOD.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

NO NEED TO SHOUT!

All caps is seen as shouting. It is really hard to read too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

I have a ZR5 package, so I guess I'll have tp figure out something that will work.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

HenryJ wrote:I think Walt did something like this - Raised Westin step bars I reinforced the rear mount by tieing it to the front spring hanger bolt.
That's it. Except on the rear mount, instead of cutting it off, I left the spring hanger bolt bracket bolted to the bottom hole. Then I just drilled a new hole for the bar two inches higher.
--Walt
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

welcome to the site RA

you dont have to go to big to be happy
I didnt and Im happy with my truck wheels tires and a body lift
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

jeff024 wrote:welcome to the site RA

you dont have to go to big to be happy
yah you do :)

lol just kidding
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Welcome :wave:
Hope you have deep pockets, this site has been know to cause light wallet syndrome :lol:
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Welcome to the site RA
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I really love the name of your city, RA :!:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
RA
Regular
Regular

Post by RA »

well i wouldn't go as far as to call it a city, town maybe pop. 2000 not much to do around here but hunt & fish. luckily i take care of a ranch so i get to do alot of both.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

RA wrote:well i wouldn't go as far as to call it a city, town maybe pop. 2000 not much to do around here but hunt & fish. luckily i take care of a ranch so i get to do alot of both.

I considered using the term "town" but, you're still welcome aboard :lol:

A study came out this week in the national wire that the county just east of me, Clay County, was ranked the 5th poorest in the nation. The county bordering Clay to the north, Owsley county, was the second poorest one.

I haven't a clue why I brought that all up, when comparing cities to towns :!:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Congrats on your new s-10 crewcab :cheers: If you read my signature line, you will see what all I have done to my truck. It was stock until I stumbled across this site :shrug: I've had a blast on here :D I just wish I was more mechanically inclined so I could keep up with theese guys. Have fun and post some pictures of your truck!

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I would do HJ's setup first. If you're still unsatisfied, then go bigger later on. And you'll already have the BL and flares, so you'll have room for bigger tires later on anyway. 8)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Steve2003 wrote:Congrats on your new s-10 crewcab :cheers: If you read my signature line, you will see what all I have done to my truck. It was stock until I stumbled across this site :shrug: I've had a blast on here :D I just wish I was more mechanically inclined so I could keep up with theese guys. Have fun and post some pictures of your truck!

Steve
I would guess that about 90 percent of us had stock trucks until we stumbled accross this site!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I'm a 10 percenter :lol: My truck came with the body lift pre-installed :D
--Walt