window tinting

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

window tinting

Post by malkavian »

Ok I have done windo tint on my camaros many of times so I have the art of it down as far as getting all the air bubbles out.

My questions are for windows like on the crew where you have frame the window roles up into.

1. I know you leave about 1/4 inch gap at the top of the glass but what about the rest of the way around.

Do you

a. trim the tint off even?

b. do you trim the tint a little over size and use your hard card to push it up inside the edges of the door seal?

here is a quick bitmap to show what im asking. :wink:
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

if its where im thinking right around the mirror I would tuck it back because when you put the window down I dont think you really ever see the edge of the glass right there,some shops do a computer cut out now its a perfect fit
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

yeah Im basically talking about the forward and aft edges of the window. But I see what your talking about.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mine was done my a guy working out of his home and I have approx. 1/4" glass showing on all the edges except the bottom.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

f9k9. is that gap visable from the outside of the truck?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Nope
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

ok cool thanks guys
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

had mine done by a friend from the guard.... he left about an 1/8" gap between the window edge and the tint. not noticeable at all with the window up!!! barely noticeable with the window a little..
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

im thinking about putting 20% tint on my front two windows... do you think it would be better to put it on my self or have a professional due it for about $75.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

c schoelen wrote:im thinking about putting 20% tint on my front two windows... do you think it would be better to put it on my self or have a professional due it for about $75.
Depends on how confident you are. Tinting windows can be an extremely frustrating job to some, while others know most of the tricks and techniques that make it easy. I fall into the later group, therefore I did my own, and can quickly and easily reapply new tint if anything should happen. The other alternative is to get a pro to do it and provide a warranty. That'll be good insurance against any problems that may arise.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

c schoelen wrote:im thinking about putting 20% tint on my front two windows... do you think it would be better to put it on my self or have a professional due it for about $75.

I had the pros do it at D & L Window Tinting. Got a great warranty that includes removing and replacement after inspection if the law gives me a hard time. Welcome to the site.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have paid the bucks and gotten the warranty in the past. When I had problems with it I had to wait weeks for them to have the sample sent to a lab to make sure I used the right cleaners on it.

I hijacked a guy from a professional to put the tint on my CC on his own time. I got a good job on all the windows, except the windshield, for $75 and he got a little extra grocery money for his young family :D
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yea....Misipi has a new law concerning the inspection stickers. "We wont write you a ticket for window tint, you just can't get another inspection sticker until it's off :) "
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

thanks... i think that im going to get the pros to do it some that i can get the warranty.

hey BADs Crew.... where is D & L located?
[size=75]2002 S-10 Zr5 with: 6" superlift, 15" black rockcrawler rims, Airaid Intake, and 33 X 12.50 BF Goodrich Mud terrian Tires. Skidz Cut-out Flares[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

c schoelen
theres a few places in frederick look in your yellow pages there are some places that will come to you and do it
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

c schoelen wrote:thanks... i think that im going to get the pros to do it some that i can get the warranty.

hey BADs Crew.... where is D & L located?

I had mine done on Rt 40 east in White Marsh just past Rt 43. I get my window cleaner from them too. Get a bottle when you have it done. I got the 3m brand because they said it was the best and would match better. It a little dark when I'm backing up at night but I just drop the windows.

[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

that tinting looks really nice. how much did it cost you to have that done?
[size=75]2002 S-10 Zr5 with: 6" superlift, 15" black rockcrawler rims, Airaid Intake, and 33 X 12.50 BF Goodrich Mud terrian Tires. Skidz Cut-out Flares[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

myself I wouldnt go over the legal limit I have a buddy here in MD thats been pulled over 3 times now because it was to dark and each time he has to remove it,and now when you get a ticket for it you have to take it back to the state police Dept. to have it approved.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Yes Santa I was a bad boy and went over the limit. I wanted them to match the back. I have never been pulled over and I have been around lots of police. Maybe they profile cars and my family crew cab doesn't fit it. This is the reason I got the warranty. They will remove and replace if you have a problem.
c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

yeah my friend had 5% on his side windows and got pulled over. the cop made him take the tint off right there. my friend got pretty lucky though.. the cop didn't give him a ticket, just made him take off all of his tint.
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

For any do-it-yourselfer, here's some tips I used to use:

Spray the OUTSIDE of the window with water, lay the tint film GLUE SIDE OUT over the water and trim most of the excess off to get a inch larger that needed fit. Then when you actually stick it to the inside of the window, you won't have to fight all that extra tint while the glue is wet & nasty. You'll already have an almost perfect fit.

Oh yeah. Please do yourself a favor and use a BRAND NEW blade to do your cutting! I've ripped tint with a dull blade several times trying to trim before I finally got it through my head to use a NEW blade each time. Heck. If you were smart, you might use a new one for EACH window.

Next tip would be to completely saturate the glass as well as the glue sided tint before applying. Too much is better than not enough here. Seen some horrible jobs believe it or not from just messing up this step. After applying the tint, you'll be able to move the film around a bit if you used enough water.

Here's another good tip. Spray the outside of the tint (inside of the vehicle) with a mild dish washing liquid & water mix before you start to squeegee. This helps limit the scratches made by the squeegee on the film. Also remember to squeegee from the center out.

Keep a small rag or some paper towels handy for all the water/glue & water/soap that you'll be removing from the film.

If anyone has any other questions about this process, let me know. I used to do this as an add on service when I owned my detail shop back in the day.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

those are really good instructions. I might have to try to do it myself now and if i fail i just get it done. thanks
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am gonna risk venturing into VA this weekend and hope that if, I get pulled over for my tint that the Trooper is merciful on me. :pray: Mrs. Hoff didn't want to take her legal tinted car because it's to dirty but, I think the real reason is that she wouldn't have room for all the shoes. :bonk:
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

f9k9 wrote:I am gonna risk venturing into VA
How Far North Into Va Are You Headed??
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
S10CREW01
Crew
Crew

Post by S10CREW01 »

:idea: Yah Let me know if you are around the Norfolk area..
[size=75]<<~~o00o~~~~~~~~~~~~"°º©[b] S10CREW01 - Proud to serve US NAVY[/b]©º°"~~~~~~~~~~~~o00o~~>>
[b][u]MOD LIST:[/b][/u]
2001 S10 Crew Cab; 2" body lift; K&N drop in filter and the Airbox mod; Hot foot MOD; Autodim mirrior; Clear Bumper Lights; Westin Safari Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights; Westin Nerf Bars; Low Profile 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover; Quad Light MOD; Backup Lights * * *[/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Since this topic was brought back up......

For trimming around the edges I used a fine file and used the file to cut the tint RIGHT at the edge. If you run the file at a 45 degree angle to the glass right over the edge it will cut the film perfectly at the edge of the glass. This makes the window look SO much better, having the tint all the way to the edge makes it look (better than) factory.

Some say the tint will pull up but I havn't had a problem on the tint that is on my 91, and it has been on there for years. I learned that trick from a shop that installed tint and they never had any problems either.

Also, I pull the windows out of the truck before tinting. It is SO much easier to tint them laying flat that the extra work is well worth the effort. Plus trimming is so much easier and you can tint the ENTIRE window instead of fighting it to trim under the lower window seal. It really isn't that hard to pull the window, fifteen minutes or so. You might need a few retainers though as some will proably break, but they are just a couple cents each.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

gocntry wrote:
f9k9 wrote:I am gonna risk venturing into VA

How Far North Into VA Are You Headed??

I was way down in the S.W. portion. A little place called Pennington Gap. It's only a stone's throw from Harlan, KY but, I had maybe 50 miles to drive in VA before a short stint through TN and then through the Cumberland Gap National Park and the tunnel into KY.
S10CREW01 wrote::idea: Yah Let me know if you are around the Norfolk area..

Maybe, I can make DC soon for a short vacation and will let you know. Mrs. Hoff thinks that VA Beach is close to DC and always longs to visit the beach since it is "on the way"

I love the history and beauty of VA, MD, PA and DC.

I wish that we could make plans for a gathering of S-10CrewCab.com members sometime soon. I've tried twice and there was little interest in it. Perhaps now with the membership numbers increasing there will be more interest.

BTW......I made it in and out w/o being busted for the tint (I have heard horror stories from friends being stopped in VA and spending hrs scrapping off illegal tint) and yes, I was correct on why Mrs. Hoff and her mother wanted to use the truck.