Moderator: F9K9

jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

winches

Post by jeggers »

Just want some opinions on what brand, size ect....... :D
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

From my experience 2x the weight of the vehicle. Ive had a warn and a mile marker. I liked both of them and the mile marker I think was the better bang for the buck.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

For some reason 1.5x the vehicle weight sticks in my mind? Don't know where or why though.

My trailer uses a Superwinch. It has been good. I'm now using a Milemarker 9000# for the truck. I think it will be plenty.
I have it because it was a good buy and helped out a member who need to sell it.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

It may be 1.5. I just remember when I bought my first one the sales man said 2x he may have just wanted to sale me a more expensive one :lol: But I never had a problem with either one of them .
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No, I think that 2x is not a bad idea. Especially if you are hardcore and get "Quickbiker" stuck.

The other thing is how many people have actually weighed their trucks?

Before all the mods , stock and empty Mine weighed 4400 lbs.
Expedition loaded I am at 5900 lbs.

If you double the lower figure, I should be good with the 9000# winch. However double the fully loaded weight and perhaps a 12000# winch would be a better choice?

Look carefully at how the winch is rated. Most times the rating is at one wrap of cable on the spool. When the winch is on the short pulls the rating is much lower.
Also consider the amperage draw. If you really plan to use it, a bigger alternator and battery are going to be needed.
Our stock alternator barely handles 60 amps at idle speeds. If you plan on using the winch with the lights on at night you're going to be over working the alternator.

Funny how on mod requires another :?
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

I pretty sure the mile marker and warns are rated with one loop on the drum or spool.
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

thanks guys
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

seems easier to just bring another truck along :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:seems easier to just bring another truck along :wink:
That requires friends who have a pick-up and want to go along ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

yeah I know with my cherokee many didnt want to go where I tried to go. I had the whole thing linxed and just ran through bushes and small trees LOL. My winch came in handy a lot then. Before the winch I just used my hi lift though.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I really like Mile marker. One of the lowest current draw. It ain't fast, but who cares when your save'n your self?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]